I reach for this Italian chicken soup recipe when I want comfort food with a little Italian flair. Loaded with tender chunks os chicken, pasta, fresh herbs, and nutty Parmesan! Homemade chicken noodle soup is a favorite in our house and this version is at the top of the list.
The Italian seasoning adds vibrant zest while the chicken soup base still lays a familiar, comforting palate. This is my tried-and-true, tastes-like-it-took-hours-to-make choice!
I love fall coziness. It seems like I always have a homemade pot of soup simmer. Here are a few others that are super popular in our house instant pot chicken noodle soup and chicken and rice soup. I really hope you give them all a try ♥
Let’s get this soup simmering!
What I Love About This Italian Chicken Soup Recipe
- Whips up in less than thirty minutes!
- Versatility galore
- Easy-to-find ingredients that taste rare
- One-pot! Clean-up is a cinch.
Italian Chicken Soup Ingredients
- Olive Oil: I like to use a good quality extra virgin olive oil.
- Onion: I use yellow onion but a white onion will work, also.
- Garlic: For best flavor use fresh garlic. The minced garlic that comes in jar has a weird taste due to the solution it’s preserved in.
- Carrots: Add texture and a natural sweetness.
- Celery: Add more texture an a complex natural saltiness.
- Dried Italian Seasoning: I like McCormick “Perfect Pinch” Italian Seasoning. It contains marjoram and others don’t. The marjoram really adds a nice nuance that compliments all the other, stronger, Italian herbs.
- Bay Leaf: This adds a very subtle flavor of black pepper and an herbaceous pine.
- Chicken Broth: Use low sodium chicken stalk so you can control the soup.
- Better Than Bouillon: This ingredient fortifies the chicken broth and gives it a rich homemade flavor.
- Fresh Rosemary: This grows in my garden like a weed! If you don’t have it on hand, you can add 1/2 teaspoon dried. While I love the Italian seasoning mix I mentioned above, I think it needs a little more rosemary.
- Salt + Black Pepper
- Fresh Parsley + Fresh Basil: These fresh herbs add the perfect finishing flavor and brightness to the soup.
- Shaved Parmesan Cheese: You can use shredded Parm instead. I like a nice this sliced Parm floating on top.
- Chicken: You’ll need cooked chicken for this recipe. If you’re cooking it specifically for the soup, I suggest baking with just a little salt and pepper. White and dark meat both work.
- Don’t forget- cook chicken to a minimum of 165°. Rotisserie chicken is a great shortcut. Try the lemon pepper seasoned chicken to add a slight twist to the flavor of the soup!
- Pasta: You’ll notice I left one of the ingredients a bit up to you in the recipe! “Small shape pasta” Do you want to try orzo, the rice-like pasta? Ditalini, tiny tubes, or small elbows all work well. of pasta? You can even add those alphabet noodles if you’re making this soup for kids!
- Crock Pot Option: Add all the ingredients, except the pasta, and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Add the pasta and cook until tender. Serve.
Storing + Freezing + Make-Ahead
- How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge? Italian chicken soup recipe can sit your fridge in an airtight container for up to three to four days.
- Can You Freeze This? Yes! Be warned that pasta will lose its integrity in the freezer. If you can’t stand mushy pasta but you plan on freezing this soup, leave out the pasta until you’re ready to eat it. Otherwise, you can store this Italian chicken soup recipe in the freezer for up to 4-6 months.
- Make Ahead Tips: One of my favorite meal-prep tips is to pre-dice all of my veggies for the week, then store them in containers in the fridge. Most veggies will last for up to seven days (though I’ve found mushrooms have a shorter shelf life).
- If you’re really pressed for time, I love using shredded rotisserie chicken in this dish. It gives it such a depth of flavor and is so easy to pull together!
I love pairing this Italian chicken soup recipe with my copycat Olive Garden Breadsticks, garlic bread, or my secret ingredient no-knead bread. A green salad dressed with my quick and easy balsamic vinaigrette recipe adds a nice crisp, freshness.
- Add sausages. Switch chicken for Italian sausage.
- Use cannellini beans. Toss in some cannellini beans.
- Add tortellini.
More Chicken Soup Recipes You’ll Love!
- Crack Chicken Noodle Soup
Mexican Chicken Soup
- Chicken Florentine Soup
- Cream Of Chicken Soup
- Chicken Corn Chowder
- Lemon Chicken Soup
- Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup
Italian Chicken Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cup onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 cups carrots, cut into small cubes
- 1 1/2 cups celery, diced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 8-10 cups chicken stock
- 1 heaping tablespoon chicken Better Than Bouillon
- 1 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups small shape pasta, dry
- 3-4 cups cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh basil, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shaved parmesan cheese, optional
- Heat olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, Italian seasoning, and bay leaf. Cook, stirring often until vegetables are tender, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add 8 cups of chicken stock, Better Than Bouillon, rosemary sprig, salt, and pepper then bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until the veggies are tender (about 10-12 minutes).
- Add the pasta and chicken simmering until the pasta is just al dente. Stir in the Italian parsley and basil. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- To serve, ladle soup into each bowl, then top with a generous pinch of shaved Parm.
Fans Also Made: