I reach for this Italian chicken soup recipe when I want comfort food with a little Italian flair. Homemade chicken noodle soup is a favorite in our house and this version is at the top of the list.
The Italian seasoning adds vibrant zest while the chicken soup base still lays a familiar, comforting palate. This is my tried-and-true, tastes-like-it-took-hours-to-make choice!
I love fall coziness. It seems like I always have a homemade pot of soup simmer. Here are a few others that are super popular in our house instant pot chicken noodle soup and chicken and rice soup. I really hope you give them all a try ♥
Let’s get this Italian chicken soup recipe simmering!
- Whips up in less than thirty minutes!
- Versatility galore
- Easy-to-find ingredients that taste rare
- One-pot! Clean-up is a cinch.
Shake up those veggies: Carrots not your thing? Got a celery allergy? One of the many lovely things about the Italian chicken soup recipe is that there are very few vegetables that don’t go with it.
You can easily swap the carrots for potatoes, the celery for zucchini, or whatever veggies you have in your fridge!
Chicken: You’ll need cooked chicken for this recipe. If you’re cooking it specifically for the soup, I suggest baking with just a little salt and pepper. White and dark meat both work.
Don’t forget- cook chicken to a minimum of 165°. Rotisserie chicken is a great shortcut. Try the lemon pepper seasoned chicken to add a slight twist to the flavor of the soup!
Pasta: You’ll notice I left one of the ingredients a bit up to you in the recipe! “Small shape pasta” forces you to have some fun with your soup. Do you want to try orzo, the rice-like pasta? Or maybe ditalini, tiny tubes of pasta?
There are so many fun options for small pasta. You can even add those alphabet noodles if you’re making this soup for kids!
Crock Pot Option: Add all the ingredients and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
Instant Pot Option: Simply use your Instant Pot in lieu of the stovetop, then cook the soup according to your pot’s Soup and Stew setting.
How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge?
Italian chicken soup recipe can sit your fridge in an airtight container for up to three to four days.
Can You Freeze This?
Yes! Be warned that pasta will lose its integrity in the freezer. If you can’t stand mushy pasta but you plan on freezing this soup, leave out the pasta until you’re ready to eat it.
Otherwise, you can store this Italian chicken soup recipe in the freezer for up to 4-6 months.
Make Ahead Tips
One of my favorite meal-prep tips is to pre-dice all of my veggies for the week, then store them in containers in the fridge. Most veggies will last for up to seven days (though I’ve found mushrooms have a shorter shelf life).
If you’re really pressed for time, I love using shredded rotisserie chicken in this dish. It gives it such a depth of flavor and is so easy to pull together!
I love pairing this Italian chicken soup recipe with my secret ingredient no-knead bread. It’s irresistibly soft and has a crispy crust that my family gets crazy about. But if you’re in the mood for buttery bread, I strongly recommend that you check out my fluffy lion house rolls.
- Add sausages. Switch chicken for a pack of sausages to whip up a bowl of Italian sausage soup or an overloaded one-pot zuppa toscana.
- Use cannellini beans. Toss in some cannellini beans for a chicken soup version of pasta Fagioli soup.
- Add tortellini. Turn this into a creamy tortellini soup by adding cheese tortellini to the pot. Or, go one step further with my spinach tortellini soup.
- Mexican Chicken Soup
- Chicken Florentine Soup
- Cream Of Chicken Soup
- Chicken Corn Chowder
- Lemon Chicken Soup
Italian Chicken Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cup onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 cups carrots, cut into small cubes
- 1 1/2 cups celery, diced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 8-10 cups chicken stock
- 1 heaping tablespoon chicken Better Than Bouillon
- 1 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups small shape pasta, dry
- 3-4 cups cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh basil, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shaved parmesan cheese, optional
- Heat olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, Italian seasoning, and bay leaf. Cook, stirring often until vegetables are tender, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add 8 cups of chicken stock, Better Than Bouillon, rosemary sprig, salt, and pepper then bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until the veggies are tender (about 10-12 minutes).
- Add the pasta and chicken simmering until the pasta is just al dente. Stir in the Italian parsley and basil. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- To serve, ladle soup into each bowl, then top with a generous pinch of shaved Parm.
Fans Also Made: