This creamy chicken noodle soup recipe is the ultimate in comfort food. With the homemade stock, flavorful chicken, and plenty of veggies and pasta, this is an eats-like-a-meal chicken noodle soup recipe.
This might not be the first dish to come to mind when you think of pasta recipes, but you won’t soon forget it! It is simply busting with meat, veggies, noodles, and of course, flavor! As far as chicken recipes go, this creamy chicken noodle soup recipe will leave you feeling warm inside and out.
Let’s head to the kitchen and make some soup that Grandma would be proud of!
This creamy chicken noodle soup takes the classic soup one step further! Here are some of the best parts!
- The homemade stock
- Rich and creamy
- Hearty enough for a stand-alone meal
- Makes a big pot so everyone can have seconds
Making this homemade creamy chicken noodle soup is easier than you think! Here are a few more tips to help you out!
Stock prep – You’re going to be removing all the veggies and herbs from the stock once it is cooked. Don’t spend lots of time cutting stuff. Just give it a rough chop. This recipe makes plenty of stock. Freeze the extra!
Adding the cream – Heavy cream can split if you boil it aggressively. I suggest stirring it in and turning off the stove. Put the lid on and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Stir once more and serve!
Easy Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup Ingredient Notes
Turnip – This is the ingredient I get asked the most about in this cream of chicken noodle soup recipe. Turnip brings a little sweetness and earthiness to your stock. Smaller turnips are sweeter and more tender. I usually try to find ones no bigger than a baseball.
Rutabagas are not the same thing, but they will do if no turnips are available.
This recipe stores best in a well-sealed container to maintain flavor and freshness. Be sure that the soup has cooled completely before putting it in the fridge.
Can You Freeze This?
Freezing is a fantastic way to store this creamy chicken noodle soup recipe! If you’re freezing as a make-ahead option, I suggest freezing the base without the pasta or the cream. Reheat on the stove and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until tender. Stir in the cream and serve.
If you’re freezing leftovers, know that the pasta and cream might lose some of their texture after a trip through the deep freeze. To freeze, allow the soup to cool and transfer to a freezer container.
Make Ahead Tips
The stock can be made well in advance. You can freeze it for months or keep it in the fridge for about a week. Another make-ahead prep tip is to cut the veggies and store them for several days in containers in the fridge.
How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge?
According to the USDA food handling guidelines, soups can be kept in the fridge for 3-4 days, though the egg noodles will begin to lose their texture after a day or two.
This creamy chicken noodle soup recipe is fantastic just the way it is, but if you want to change it up a bit, here are some ideas!
Can I Use Dumplings Instead?
Dumplings would add to the richness of this dish. I would suggest decreasing the cream slightly for chicken and dumpling soup since the dumplings will also thicken the soup.
A good pot of southern chicken and dumplings makes my mouth water. They’re easier than you think to make, especially when you make the Bisquick chicken and dumplings version.
Can I Cook This In An Instant Pot Instead?
The magic of the Instant Pot can make this recipe even quicker to make. My instant pot chicken noodle soup recipe goes over how to make stock from a whole chicken. You can make the rest of the soup in the instant pot, but be careful. I find the saute function can be a bit hot, and you can’t control the temperature. With the creamy nature of this recipe, the actual soup might not be the best for an instant pot chicken soup.
When you thinking about chicken comfort food to make in your instant pot, don’t forget about instant pot chicken and dumplings. It’s quick, hearty, and delicious!
Can I Use Tortellini Instead?
This would be a snap to convert to creamy chicken tortellini soup. Simply add your favorite tortellini instead of the egg noodles! I love how chicken tortellini soup brings flavorful meat and pasta in every bite!
Can This Be Made With An Asian Twist?
I think this recipe would be tough to adapt to an Asian theme without a complete recipe makeover. Soups like Thai chicken soup and chicken ramen incorporate ginger, soy, chilies, and sometimes coconut milk to develop their complex and delicious soup base. If you’re looking for an easy, family-friendly chicken meal, try my Thai peanut noodles. The sauce is amazing!
Can I Add Lemon?
Lemon is a traditional ingredient in chicken soup in the Mediterranean. Greek lemon chicken soup typically uses orzo pasta. To make lemon chicken soup, add lemon juice to taste- probably 2-3 lemons. You can swap out the pasta if you like!
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 (2-3 pounds) whole chicken
- 3 1/2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon chicken flavor Better Than Bouillon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 turnip
- 1 head garlic, cut in half
- 6-8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chicken flavor Better Than Bouillon, dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 cup celery, diced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 cups carrots, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups dry egg noodles
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- Add all stock ingredients to a large pot. Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce heat and gently simmer for 1 to 1½ hours, uncovered, until the chicken is very tender and falling off the bone. As it cooks, skim any foam that rise to the surface.
- Remove chicken from stock and set aside to cool. Strain broth through a sieve. Discard the solids. When chicken is cool enough. Remove and discard skin and bones. Cut into 1/2 pieces. This recipe will make approximately 14 cups of stock.
- In a large pot, heat oil. Add 1 cup onions and saute over medium-low until translucent, about 7-8 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the onions and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Remove pot from the heat and slowly whisk in 6 cups of chicken stock until smooth.
- Add dissolved Better Than Bouillon, celery, and carrots, thyme, salt, and pepper to the pot. Bring soup to a boil then immediately reduce the heat a simmer until vegetables are tender. Add pasta and cook until pasta is al dente. Stir in the cream and cook just until heated through.
- Ladle into individual bowls, garnish with parsley, and serve.
Fans Also Made:
None foundRate This Recipe
You can never have chicken soup recipes! Besides this creamy chicken noodle soup recipe, add these to your collection!
- Chicken Tortilla Soup – perfectly seasoned, south of the border flavors
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup – the convenience of the crockpot and ah-mazing flavor
- Chicken Pho – bring a bit of Asian flair to the table
- Chicken Dumpling Soup – Classic, hearty, and delicious
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup – Just as delicious, but no crust
My homemade Creamy Chicken Soup recipe leaves you feeling like you just ate at Grandma’s house! Hearty enough to stand alone as a meal, you’ll love the rich chicken flavor from the homemade stock!
I bet this one becomes a family favorite! Be sure to let me know in the comments below!