Our Chicken Tortilla Soup is a year round go-to for anytime you want a delicious, healthy, comfort meal! Easy to make and loaded with flavor and goodies!!
Tortilla Soup is something I always, ALWAYS crave! Warm chicken-y broth with a hint of lime……lots of chicken…….chunks of avocado……and crunchy tortilla strips! As Ina always says, what’s not to LOVE? This is “the recipe” I go to year-round when I’m craving that wonderful comfort food. In fact, Spring and Summer are the times I most crave this soup.
It’s funny, most people think that Southern California is always sunny and warm, but ironically, when the rest of Southern California heats up, the beach cities get pretty cool. O.K. so,.let’s be clear, I’m NOT complaining AT ALL! It’s nothing like winter cold, it’s just “ya, soup sounds perfect”, kinda cool, damp weather! I know, I know, I truly am a WIMP!
Some recipes for Tortilla soup have a heavy tomato flavor. While those tomatoey …. yes, I’m sure tomatoey is a word….. versions make a delicious soup, its just not what I consider the “Classic Tortilla Soup”……the one I crave! Most recipes fry the tortilla strips. Now, I have to say, that of course, is the classic approach. I’ve discovered over the years I’ve been making this delicious soup, however, that the baked strips are real dang good. I have to say that honestly, they don’t seem to come out quite as crispy, but for me personally, that small sacrifice is totally worth the calories savings I gain so I don’t feel quite as guilty adding a big ol’ handful of shredded cheese to my bowl! To each their own I guess! 🙂
Don’t skip the step of adding the spices to the pan and cooking them before you add the broth. This really intensifies their wonderful flavors, allows them to marry a bit and gives the broth more complexity
My Favorite Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 2 Poblano pepper, ribs removed, seeded and chopped
- 1 Jalapeno pepper, ribs removed, seeded and chopped
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 12 cups Caldo de Pollo or chicken stock
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2 cubes
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 12 stale corn tortillas, sliced Into 1/4 Inch-thick strips
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 2 cups jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, cook the onion, garlic, and peppers over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, or just until they are soft.
- Sprinkle the salt, cumin, and coriander over the onion mixture and continue to cook, stirring often so spices don't burn, for 1-2 minutes or until the spices become fragrant. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth to the pot and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Add chicken and continue to simmer for 10-12 minutes. Add cilantro and lime juice and stir.
- Meanwhile, spread tortilla strips out in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet (you'll probably need 2 baking sheets.) Spray tortillas evenly with nonstick cooking spray. Bake in preheated oven for about 25 minutes or until they are just starting to slightly brown and are crispy. Sprinkle hot strips with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls and top each bowl with avocado, cheese and tortilla strips as desired.
Fans Also Made:
None foundRATE THIS RECIPE
More Delicious Soups…
Chicken Tortellini Soup -One dish dinner loaded with juicy chunks of chicken, tender tortellini, veggies and a bit of sausage.
Easy Potato Soup – Comfort food, warm, quick, and easy to make!
Lasagne Soup – Rich tomato based soup loaded with Italian sausage, pasta, mushroom, and spinach!
Mexican Chicken Soup – brims with tender chicken, fresh vegetables, and southern spices. The unique cilantro, cheese, and chip topping seals the deal!
Taco Soup– Full of beefy taco flavor, Taco Soup is bursting with meat and beans in a seasoned broth. Pile on your favorite toppings for taco perfection in every bite!