Chicken Taco Soup brings all the best taco flavors into a family friendly, hearty, healthy soup! Stovetop, Slow-cooker, and Instant Pot versions included!
Fall kicks off Soup Season and boy have we’ve got a winner, Chicken Taco Soup! It’s a super easy soup that’s simply bursting with Tex-Mex flavors. Like the popular 7 can Chicken Taco Soup recipes, we leverage the power of conveniently canned veggies and stock to make the body of this deliciously simple soup. Chicken Taco Soup with ranch dressing is another common variation, but I think our traditional taco flavor profile is spot on without the added ingredient. Ours is perfectly spiced to be family friendly, and quick enough for a midweek meal! Recipes like ours and the Chicken Taco Soup Pioneer Woman puts out are easy to make, delicious, and filling.
WHAT I LOVE MOST ABOUT THIS RECIPE:
- The ‘spice’ level is perfect for the whole family
- Assembles in minutes
- Great way to use leftover chicken
- It’s bursting with Tex-Mex flavors
What is Chicken Taco Soup?
Chicken Taco Soup captures the fantastic flavors of chicken tacos and converts them into a hearty soup. Our healthy Chicken Taco Soup is broth based and full of classic taco flavors!
SAVE THIS CHICKEN TACO SOUP
TO YOUR SOUP OR DINNER BOARD FOR LATER
WE’D LOVE TO BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES!
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Chicken Taco Soup?
To make Chicken Taco Soup, you’ll start with the base to any good soup- aromatics. Diced onion, garlic, peppers (red bell and jalapeno), and a splash of oil. You’ll need salt, pepper, taco seasoning, and oregano for spices. Canned diced tomatoes, corn, ranch beans, chicken broth, and salsa round out the body of the soup. Of course, we need cooked chicken to finish it out. Typically, you serve this with a variety of toppings like shredded cheese, tortilla chips, sour cream, avocado, or cilantro. You don’t have to have all of these. Just choose the ones you like!
How Do You Make Chicken Taco Soup?
You’ll begin with sauteing the aromatics, onion, peppers, and garlic in a splash of oil, to build your flavor foundation. Once those are cooked and smell mouth-wateringly delicious, add in the spices, canned veggies, beans, and chicken broth. Simmer and then add the cooked chicken. Heat it through and spice it up to your satisfaction!
Step By Step: How To Make Chicken Taco Soup
1. In a large pot, saute onion, red pepper, and jalapeño until soft. Add garlic and continue to saute.
2. Add the rest of the soup ingredients, except chicken. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30-40 minutes.
3. Add chicken and continue to simmer. Taste and add seasoning if needed. Top individual bowl with the optional toppings.
Soup’s On How ’bout More!?
When the weather turns cold, I cannot get enough soup! It is one of the ultimate cool-weather comfort foods! If you’d like a twist on traditional soups, check out our Chicken Tortellini Soup. Chicken and Rice Soup is another equally yummy classic chicken broth soup, while Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup are off the charts creamy and decadent. They’re all family favorites in my house!
Chicken Taco Soup
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 Medium Onion, Chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, Ribs and Seeds Removed, and Chopped
- 1 Jalapeno. Ribs and Seeds Removed, and Minced
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic, Minced
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Envelope Taco Seasoning
- 2 Teaspoons Dried Oregano
- 1 (14.5 Ounce) Can Petite Diced Tomatoes, With The Juice
- 1 (16 Ounce) Jar Salsa With The Juice
- 1 (11 Ounce) Can Corn, Drained
- 1 (16 Ounce) Can Ranch Style Beans Chili Beans, With The Juice
- 1 (14 Ounce) Carton Chicken Broth
- 2 Cups Cooked Chicken, Shredded
- Tortilla Chips, Crumbled
- Jack or Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- Sour Cream
- Sliced Avocado
- Fresh Cilantro, Chopped
- In a large pot, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. When the oil is warm saute onion, red pepper, and jalapeno over medium heat until soft, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and continue to saute about 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the rest of the soup ingredients, except chicken, to the pot. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently, uncovered for 30-40 minutes.
- Add chicken and continue to simmer until heated through. Taste soup and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Garnish individual soup bowls as desired with tortillas chips, cheese, sour cream, avocado, and or cilantro.
Recipe Notes For Chicken Taco Soup:
Creamy Base Option– If you love the richness of a cream based soup, make this Chicken Taco Soup with cream cheese! Cook as instructed below and add an 8 oz block of softened cream cheese once the chicken has been heated through. To make incorporation faster, you can mix some hot broth with the cream cheese to melt it and then stir it into the soup. Cook for an additional 10 minutes or until completely melted.
Chicken- This recipe calls for cooked chicken and is an excellent way to use up leftover chicken. You can either chop or shred the chicken into pieces. Either way works! If you’re cooking chicken specifically for this dish, baked or boiled chicken both work well and don’t forget about the ultimate chicken convenience- rotisserie!
Cutting Jalapenos– I highly recommend wearing gloves when cutting Jalapenos! The oils from these peppers like to cling to your fingers for hours. If you don’t have any gloves, immediately wash your hands with dish soap after handling the peppers. Also, keep your hands away from your face! There are lots of recommendations about how to get the capsaicin oil off your hands, including vegetable oil, baking soda, and bleach solutions.
To cut a Jalapeno, cut off the stem end and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and ribs. Then cut it lengthwise in half. Slice the halves into strips and then dice finely.
Can You Make Chicken Taco Soup Ahead Of Time?
Like most soups, this Taco Soup with chicken only gets better with time. It reheats beautifully and will hold in the fridge for several days.
How Do You Freeze Chicken Taco Soup?
Our easy Chicken Taco Soup freezes well. As always, follow proper freezing procedures! Besides making sure that the soup cools quickly and completely, remember to leave enough space for expansion, particularly if you are freezing in a rigid container. It will last in the freezer for about three months.
How Do You Make Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup?
Our Chicken Taco Soup stove top method translates seamlessly to the slow cooker!
- Saute the onion, pepper, and garlic as directed on the stove top.
- Add them to the slow cooker and then add all remaining ingredients.
- Cook until heated through- about 6 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
How Do You Make Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup?
To use your Instant Pot, you’ll make it like crockpot Chicken Taco Soup, except you can saute it right in the pot. Using the saute function, cook the onion, pepper, and garlic in the oil until tender and smelling delicious. Switch over to the slow cooker function and add the remaining ingredients. It should take roughly the same amount of time as a traditional slow cooker- 4 hours on high and 6 hours on low.
Your instant pot also offers you a great opportunity to make this soup on the spur of the moment! No cooked chicken on hand? No problem. You can cook a couple of chicken breasts in about 15 minutes! Gotta love that Instant Pot!
More Yummy Soup Recipes…
- Ham and Bean Soup
- Hamburger Soup
- Beef and Tomato Macaroni Soup
- Cheeseburger Soup
- Vegetable Beef Soup
- Spinach Soup
- Taco Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Crock Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
More Mexican Dishes…