Get ready for your cravings to be satisfied with my creamy chicken tortilla soup recipe! Sometimes you want chicken soup recipes that are brothy and savory but also creamy and zesty. You want something filling but not as hearty as chili; you just want something you can put avocados in, is that so much to ask? Or maybe that’s just me and my avocado obsession.
Regardless, I guarantee that if you’ve been craving chicken recipes but haven’t found “the one” yet, this is it! Grab your biggest bowls, and let’s get this creamy chicken tortilla soup cooking!
When you want a lighter version, try my chicken tortilla soup.
What I Love About This Recipe
- One pot, minimal clean-up!
- Great on its own, even better with toppings
- Versatility is King
- Filling but not heavy
Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup Ingredients
- Olive Oil
- Poblano Pepper
- Caldo de Pollo Or Chicken Broth
- Heavy Cream
- Fresh Cilantro
- Lime Juice
- Corn Chips
- Jack Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Spicy: Want to increase/decrease your spice level? While there are two peppers in this dish (poblano and jalapeno), the jalapeno peppers will control your spice levels. Take them out for a milder soup or add more for a spicy feast. Poblanos are very mild and add more of a pepper flavor than a spicy kick!
- Masa? Yes, masa! Masa means “dough” in Spanish. Commonly packaged also as masa harina, it is a fine flour used to make tortillas and tamales. It comes from ground corn or hominy and adds a delicious depth of Hispanic flavor to the soup!
- What’s up, Jack? Jack cheese, also known as Monterey Jack Cheese, is the most popular cheese in America. I picked it for this recipe because it has a mild flavor that doesn’t overpower the other bright bursts in this soup but melts very nicely and adds a delicious creamy element to the finish. But if you want to shake things up, you can always add queso fresco instead!
Storing + Freezing Tips
- How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge? This will last will last up to five days in your fridge
- Can You Freeze This? Yes! Most of the ingredients in this soup recipe are freezer-friendly, aside from one of the later additions to the recipe: the heavy cream. Freezing dairy products can make them separate, which will leave you with lumpy, unappetizing leftovers. If you are planning to freeze your soup, I recommend withholding the cream until after you thaw and reheat.
- Also, make sure to thoroughly cool off your soup before you seal it and put it in the freezer. The residual heat will cause condensation, which leads to freezer burn, which will definitely ruin your soup! And any intense heat will raise the temperature of your freezers, endangering the safety of your frozen raw meats.
- If you follow all the proper guidelines as well as withhold the cream, you can store your creamy chicken tortilla soup recipe for up to six months.
How To Make Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Saute onion, garlic, and peppers.
- Add spices and saute until fragrant.
- Add tomato paste and saute for 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken broth and masa and simmer.
- Add chicken to the pot and simmer until chicken is cooked.
- Reduce heat and stir in cream, cilantro, and lime juice. Heat through.
- Ladle into individual bowls and top as desired.
***See full instructions on recipe card below
More Comforting Chicken Soup Recipes
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Mexican Chicken Soup
- Chicken And Rice Soup
- Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Crack Chicken Noodle Soup
- Bisquick Chicken and Dumplings
Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Poblano pepper, ribs removed, seeded and chopped
- 1 Jalapeno, ribs removed, seeded and chopped
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups Caldo de Pollo or chicken stock
- 1/3 cup masa
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2 cubes
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 cups crushed corn chips
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 2 cups jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup sour cream
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil and cook the onion, garlic, and peppers over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, or just until they begin to soften.
- Sprinkle the salt, cumin, and coriander over the onion mixture and continue to cook, stirring often so spices don't burn, for 1-2 minutes or until the spices become fragrant. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Stir in the chicken broth and masa, bring to a gentle boil, and reduce heat immediately to simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add chicken to the pot and continue to simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Reduce heat to low and stir in cream, cilantro, and lime juice.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls and top each bowl with avocado, cheese and tortilla chips as desired.
Fans Also Made:
Me and my sister-in-law cooked this. We stopped ourselves for a 3rd helping! We might finished it if we have sour cream. Hehehe.
I’m glad you both love this recipe. Thanks, Joana 🙂