Our Chicken Noodle Soup is a snap to whip up with this detailed step by step recipe! Soups are the perfect comfort food when the weather begins to cools and Chicken Soup is always one of my first choices!
Homemade chicken noodle soup recipes, made from scratch, are rich, comforting and soothing. Our version takes those adjectives to a new pinnacle. Whip up a pot when you’re in the mood for soul-soothing comfort food. It’s equally at home on your table for a weeknight dinner or a family filled Sunday Supper! Your family will love being indulged with a warm bowl of this yummy soup!
We have a few secret ingredients that give this recipe its special taste. Browned whole chicken breasts, fresh lemon juice, and chewy egg noodles help distinguish the substance, flavor, and texture from cheap imitations! And the healthy portion of colorful vegetables adds a beautiful brightness to your bowl
If you’re looking for more Chicken Soup check out our recipes for our Chicken and Rice Soup or Chicken Tortellini Soup! My Mexican Chicken Soup and Chicken Taco Soup are two other beloved Southern chicken soups.
How To Make Chicken Noodle Soup:
My chicken noodle soup is made with a couple of pounds of bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts. You will need to transfer the chicken in and out of the pot three times: to brown, to cook, then to serve. In between steps, discard the skin and cut up the meat.
The broth of this healthy chicken noodle soup recipe is made using chopped yellow onion, minced garlic, cubed carrots, chopped celery, bullion and fresh parsley.
The remaining chicken noodle soup ingredients are chicken broth, salt, pepper, vegetable oil, bay leaves, thyme, and last but not least, some fabulous egg noodles!
Can You Make This Easy Chicken Noodle Soup Ahead Of Time?
You can prep most of this easy chicken noodle soup ahead of time! You’ll want to leave the egg noodles out so that you don’t end up with a mushy mess, unless you’re into that kind of thing, but the rest can be prepared in advance.
The soup will keep in the fridge for up to four days (hello Monday and Thursday lunch!), and in the freezer for several months. You may find you need to add a little extra broth when reheating.
How Do You Freeze Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup?
Follow the recipe for our homemade chicken noodle soup as directed, but wait to add the noodles. This is the important part. The noodles continue to expand with the delicious golden soup broth as the soup cools and sits. They’re too soft by the time the soup is cool enough to freeze. The freezing process will make them mushy.
- Cool the soup completely then portion your soup (sans noodles!) into freezer-safe containers, label them, and store them for 4 – 6 months!
- When you are ready to serve, defrost over medium heat in a large pot, bring to a simmer then add the noodles for about about 20 minutes or until they’re cooked to al dente.
Can You Make Crock Pot Chicken Noodle Soup?
As a former VP candidate once said, you betcha. Take a gander at my recipe for the full scoop on Crock Pot Chicken Noodle Soup. It involves just 20 minutes of prep time and 3 hours of cook time!
What Do You Serve With The Best Chicken Noodle Soup?
Well, the best chicken noodle soup demands the best sides. Crusty grilled cheese or garlicky cheese biscuits are a timeless choice. If you don’t feel like playing it safe, try grilled cauliflower steaks or my personal favorite, homemade Lion House Rolls!
Can This Be Made As A Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup?
“If you can dream it, you can make it!” Turn this into a creamy chicken noodle soup with the assistance of some flour and heavy cream or whole milk. As they say, where there’s a will, there’s a way!
Recipe Notes For Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe:
Chicken: This chicken noodle soup recipe is pretty straightforward. One step that people sometimes get hung up on is skinning the chicken. If you abhor waste, know that there are many possible bright futures for these delicious bits! Oven roast them and use them to season your next broth, crumble them over a salad, or add them to a batch of homemade dumplings!
Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 (3-3 1/2) Pounds Bone-In, Skin-On Chicken Breasts
- Salt And Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 1/2 Cups Yellow Onion, Chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 10 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Carrots, Cubed
- 1 Cup Celery Chopped
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Thyme Leaves
- 1 Heaping Tablespoon Better Than Bouillon (Chicken Flavor)
- 8 Ounces Egg Noodles
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Parsley
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season generously with salt and pepper.
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken in batches, skin side down; cook until dark golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Remove browned chicken to a plate removing and discarding the skin. Drain all but 2 Tablespoon of dripping from the pot.
- Saute the onions in the drippings over medium heat until soft and tender, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic to the onions and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the broth, stirring to lift up any brown bits from the bottom of the pot, and bring to a boil. Add the celery, carrots, bay leaves, thyme, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1 heaping tablespoon Better Than Bouillon (chicken flavor), and the browned chicken. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and simmer until chicken is tender about 25-30 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate. Remove the soup from the heat and add the noodles. Let stand, covered until the noodles are tender 20-22 minutes.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, cut into 1/2-inch chunks. Return to chicken to pot and stir in the parsley. Remove bay leaves and adjust seasoning. Serve
More Ideas For Chicken Noodle Soup Recipes:
In addition to that creamy chicken noodle soup recipe and the chicken noodle soup recipe slow cooker style described above, there are a handful of other possible chicken noodle soup recipes. One of my favorites is shredded chicken noodle soup. Instead of chopping the chicken, pull it apart using a fork!
Quick Chicken Noodle Soup:
There are some days when you just need a quick chicken noodle soup and don’t have time to fuss with chopping a ton of veggies and navigating three stages of chicken preparation. I would suggest purchasing convenience vegetables and checking out the recipe variation below!
Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup:
Rotisserie chicken noodle soup is a classic standby. Rotisserie (from the French, “to roast”!) chicken is as juicy as it is expedient. There’s no shame in going this route on days when your services are needed elsewhere!
More Soup Recipes…