Introducing beef noodle soup: a complex broth teeming with chunks of browned beef and an array of chopped vegetables. A comforting midweek pick me up!
If you are currently scrolling through google results for “beef noodle soup near me” consider giving the home brew a try! With pan seared beef, full flavored broth, and a rich helping of veggies, you are going to struggle to find a commercial variety that tops this recipe!
I asked my husband what beef noodle soup called to mind for him. Quote… “Sounds like a protein and carb load gym bros down after pumping iron” If this made any sense to you, or if any of your family members can relate to the sentiment, send some beef noodle soup calories their way!
The recipe can be much more than a post workout fix however. For example if you’re looking for a taste of Asia, check out beef noodle soup Thai style or Taiwanese style. The Taiwanese variety packs in some amazing ingredients: pickled greens, ground ginger, star anise, and rice wine, to name just a few!
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Noodle Soup?
My noodle soup reaches sublime with the help of a couple pounds of trimmed and cubed boneless beef chuck roast that has been coated in all-purpose flour and browned in vegetable oil. Chopped carrots, yellow onion, and celery swim in a low sodium beef broth seasoned with minced garlic, salt, pepper, bay leaves, thyme, Italian seasoning, and beef flavored Better than Bouillon. A couple cups of egg noodles seal the deal!
How Do You Make Beef Noodle Soup?
Make this beef noodle soup in a couple stress-free steps. After browning the meat, sauté the veggies, then cook both meat and veggies in a beef broth with all of the seasoning for a couple of hours. Take a nap, go for a walk, call your siblings, do your thing. Once the beef is tender, then plop in the egg noodles! Season to taste, and show down.
1. Sprinkle flour on beef cubes. Toss to coat evenly.
2. Add oil on a pot and heat over medium heat. Brown meat in batches. Transfer brown meat to a plate, and set aside.
3. In the same spot, saute onion, carrots, celery, and garlic, until soft.
4. Add beef back to the pot.
5. Pour in beef broth.
6. Add Better than Bouillon, Italian Seasoning, salt, pepper, bay leaves, and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently. Partially cover for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until beef is tender.
7. Add noodles and simmer until tender.
Making Instant Pot Beef And Noodles Is Easy:
Instant pot beef and noodles might be even easier than beef noodle soup slow cooker style, which is a breeze! Just sauté the beef, seal the pot and cook the beef in a little broth, sauté the noodles, then add the desired seasoning and gravy! Beef and noodles uses many of the same ingredients as, and is a nice substantial alternative to beef noodle soup. So if you have some leftover ingredients, put them to good use!
Have you Ever Had Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup?
Taiwanese beef noodle soup is usually made with beef shank, bok choy (a round leafed Chinese cabbage), bean paste, red chilies, ginger, soy sauce, rice wine, tomatoes, flour noodles, and star anise (a licorice flavored Eastern spice)! If you are looking for a Taiwanese spicy beef noodle soup recipe try using a spicy bean paste and some hot chili oil to kick up the heat. And never fear, it’s just as simple to make Taiwanese beef noodle soup recipe slow cooker style.
What Do You Serve With Beef And Noodles?
Beef and noodles is a filling meal all by itself, but grilled vegetables or crusty bread are a nice way to round out the table. Zucchini, peppers, and asparagus are lovely veggie options. If you go the bread route, try a crusty baguette or sourdough!
Recipe Notes For Beef Noodle Soup:
Can you make beef noodle soup ahead of time? You can prepare this beef noodle soup three to four days in advance! Hold the noodles until serving time to preserve their texture.
How do you freeze beef noodle soup? As always, hold the noodles until serving time. Then just portion the soup into a Ziploc bag or other favorite container, and freeze for four to six months. It’s always nice to discover a ready-made dinner in the freezer a few months down the line!
Beef noodle soup Vietnamese style: This version uses different ingredients than the Southern or Taiwanese versions. Rice noodles, limes, fish sauce, bean sprouts, fresh herbs, hot sauce, sirloin steak, cinnamon, and cloves are some of the components of this multidimensional soup!
Thai style: The Thai recipe uses ingredients like white vinegar, cilantro, ground beef, round steak or roast beef, cardamom, chilli or hot pepper sauce, and peanut oil! Do the good times ever stop rolling?
Five spice beef noodle soup: This version uses the famous 5 spice powder to season the beef. Chinese 5 spice powder is made with cinnamon, cloves, star anise, fennel seed, and Sichuan peppercorns. So fancy!
Flouring the beef: What exactly is the point of this? You’re not making a breaded beef dish, so what’s the deal? Flavor maximization, of course! Coating the beef with a thin layer of flour before pan frying it adds a tasty coating, and also thickens the broth nicely.
Beef Noodle Soup Recipe
I hope you love this Beef Noodle Soup recipe as much as we do! The prep time is worth the result, It’s a complete meal that’ll soothe the fam!
Beef Noodle Soup
- 1/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2-4 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil-Divided
- 2 1/2-3 Pounds Boneless Beef Chuck Roast Trimmed and Cut Into 1/2 Inch Cubes
- 1 Cup Carrots Chopped
- 1 Cup Celery Chopped
- 1 Cup Yellow Onion Chopped
- 4 Large Garlic Cloves Minced
- 2 32 Ounces Low Sodium Beef Broth
- 1 Tablespoon Better than Bouillon Beef Flavor
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 Sprigs Thyme
- 2 Cups Dried Egg Noodle
- Sprinkle beef cubes with all-purpose flour and toss to coat evenly, shaking off excess.
- In a large stock pot, add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and heat over medium heat. When the oil is hot, brown meat in batches without crowding it. Add more oil as needed. Transfer browned meat with a slotted spoon, to a plate, and set aside.
- In the same pot, saute onion, carrots, celery, and garlic over medium-low heat, until soft, about 8 minutes. Add beef back to the pot. Pour in beef broth.
- Add Better than Bouillon, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, bay leaves, and thyme and bring to a boil. Reduce heat immediately and simmer gently, partially covered with a lid, for about 1 1/2-2 hours or until the beef is tender.
- Add noodles and simmer just until tender. Adjust seasoning as needed. Serve.
More Savory Soups…
- Taco Soup
- Mexican Chicken Soup
- Italian Sausage Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Crock Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Crock Pot Beef Stew