Full of beefy taco flavor, Taco Soup is bursting with meat and beans in a seasoned broth. Pile on your favorite toppings for taco perfection in every bite!
Taco Soup brings all of my favorite taco flavors into a hearty soup. It’s taco perfection in a bowl!
One of the best things about this recipe is it’s a no-fuss prep. Like the Taco Soup Allrecipes puts out, we use canned beans and veggies mixed with seasoned ground beef to easily create a pot of taco heaven. Multiple variations of Taco Soup exist, and one of the most common is easy taco soup recipe with ranch dressing. With the low carb craze, Keto Taco Soup is also popular, which typically includes a cream base and no beans. I’ve decided to keep the carbs and the fantastic flavors and textures from the beans and corn! Honestly, they all sound delish! I’ve never met a Taco Soup I didn’t like, but this one is my favorite by far!
SAVE THIS TACO SOUP
TO YOUR SOUP BOARD FOR LATER
WE’D LOVE TO BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES!
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Taco Soup Recipe?
Most taco soup recipe ingredients come straight out of the pantry, making this a frequent go-to dinner at my house! You’ll need ground beef, a diced onion, red bell and jalapeno peppers, and garlic. For spices, taco seasoning, black pepper, salt, and oregano are called for. From the pantry, grab a can of black beans, chili beans, a carton of beef broth, diced chilis, black olives, corn, Mexican style stewed tomatoes, and diced tomatoes. You’ll see lots of recipes for Taco Soup with Rotel tomatoes specified, but since we include a full can of diced chilis, you’ll want to stick with plain diced tomatoes instead of Rotel.
How To Make Taco Soup:
How to make taco soup question is answered here as we walk you through it, step by step. There are many different approaches to taco soup. This variation showcases how to make taco soup on the stove.
To begin, you’ll brown and drain the ground meat. Next, saute the onions, peppers, and garlic before adding the meat and spices back into the pan. Add all of the rest of the ingredients after the spices have been well incorporated. Simmer for about an hour.
Step By Step Instructions:
1. Brown the ground beef in a large pot. Drain the excess fat and set aside.
2. Add onion, red bell pepper, jalapeño, and garlic to the pot.
3. Saute until tender.
4. Return the beef to the pot and stir in taco seasoning, salt, pepper, and oregano.
5. Add all the canned ingredients into the pot, then pour in beef broth. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce simmer and partially cover for 1 hour.
6. Pour in the bowl add optional toppings. Serve.
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- 1 Cup Onion, Diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper Ribs and Seeds Removed, and Chopped
- 1 Jalapeno, Ribs and Seeds Removed, and Minced
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic, Minced
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 Envelope Taco Seasoning
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 Teaspoons Oregano
- 2 (15.5 Ounce) Cans Chili Beans, Liquid Included
- 1 (15.5 Ounce) Can Black Beans, Drained And Rinsed
- 1 (14.5 Ounce) Can Mexican-Style Stewed Tomatoes Liquid Included
- 2 (14.5 Ounce) Can Petite Diced Tomatoes Liquid Included
- 2 (4.5 Ounce) Can Diced Green Chiles Liquid Included
- 1 (4.6 Ounce) Can Sliced Black Olives, Drained And Rinsed
- 1 (11 Ounce) Can Corn, Drained
- 1 (14 Ounce) Carton Beef Broth
- Corn Chips
- Red Onions, Diced
- Cilantro, Chopped
- Cheddar Cheese, Grated
- Sour Cream
- Brown the ground beef in a large pot; drain the excess fat and remove to a plate. Add the Onion, red pepper, jalapeno, and garlic to the pot and saute in oil until tender. Return the beef to the pot. Stir in taco seasoning, salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Add the chili bean, the black beans, the Mexican Stewed tomatoes, petite diced tomatoes, diced green chiles, olives, corn and broth to the pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered for 60-80 minutes.
- To serve, ladle soup into individual bowls and top as desired with optional toppings.
Recipe Notes For Taco Soup:
Hominy: Hominy, dried corn that has had the hull removed, is a traditional ingredient in a lot of Mexican dishes. It’s integral in making tortillas and often is found in Mexican soups to add flavor and as a thickener. If you want to add a dash of authentic Mexican flavor to your soup, try making Taco Soup with hominy. Simply exchange a can of hominy for the corn and prepare as directed!
Cutting Jalapenos: I try to use latex gloves when cutting jalapenos. The oils can be stubborn to get off of your hands and will transfer to wherever you touch yourself- yikes! If you do get the juice on your skin, there are several recommendations of how to break up the capsaicin oils. Of course, always keep your hands away from your face when handling jalapenos!
How To Make Taco Soup Ahead Of Time: One of the best things about this beef taco soup is it improves with age. It holds well in the fridge for 3-4 days, and the flavors only get better!
How Do You Freeze: Since this recipe is dairy free, this easy Taco Soup freezes well. Prepare as instructed, allow to cool completely, and transfer to a freezer container. Do not add toppings before freezing! It should hold for about 3-4 months in the freezer. Consider freezing individual portions for a quick lunch or snack.
Taco Soup Toppings Suggestions: Toppings for this taco soup with ground beef include tortilla chips, shredded cheese, sour cream, or guacamole. Corn, diced red onions or scallions, and cilantro are also good options. Of course, there’s no right or wrong! If you like something in particular on your tacos, give it a try on your soup!
Can I Substitute Beef With Other Meats?
This easy taco soup recipe is super versatile. You can substitute any kind of ground meat for the beef. I find ground turkey works particularly well!
Taco Soup Crockpot
I love the fix it and forget it the convenience of the slow cooker. I use it all the time to make my favorite Taco Soup crockpot version. Dump and stir the ingredients and come back several hours later to taco yumminess!
Chicken Taco Soup
This quick and easy Chicken Taco Soup recipe is perfect for a midweek meal. Use some leftover or rotisserie chicken and whip up this flavorful, healthy soup in no time!
Weight Watchers Taco Soup
Packed with lean ground meat and beans, Weight Watchers Taco Soup packs a wonderful flavor into a healthy, hearty meal. It comes in at about 6 Smart Points, and I promise it’s worth every one!
7 Can Soup
A true dump and stir recipe, 7 can soup is one of the easiest recipes of all time! A fantastic mixture of canned chili, beans, tomatoes, and corn results in a stovetop miracle. Grab some tortilla chips and dive in!
Instant Pot Taco Soup
Thanks to the magic of the Instant Pot, taco heaven in a bowl can be yours in no time flat. Instant Pot Taco Soup gives you beefy taco flavor without the wait!
More Mexican Recipes…
More Soup Recipes…