I’ve had a love affair with Blondies forever! They’re one of those humble bar cookies that somehow manage to transcend their simple ingredients. Thick, chewy, tender, rich, butterscotch cookies. They’re treats that people have enjoyed and shared for generations. You know a cookies that has lasted the test of time like Blondies just have to be amazingly delicious!
Well, this recipe produces, to my mind anyway, a quintessentially perfect Blondie. They are superbly rich, decadently butterscotch and oh my the texture! They’re sooo tender and chewy all at the same time. What more can anyone ask for from a humble blondie you ask? Well, this recipe gives you more. Just a bit of chopped pecans, mini chocolate chips and a smidge of toasted coconut. Enough of each little extra to enhance your Blondie eating joy without being overpowering or competitive to what’s really important in a Blondie…………the incredible Butterscotch flavor!
Recipe Notes: This bar cookie is beyond easy to put together. I have to be honest with you; I’m just about the laziest cook/baker in the whole wide world! I pull out my electric mixer to make a simple glaze because I don’t want to have to put out the energy required to stir it by hand and get out all or even most of the lumps! This is one of the very few things I will, in fact, stir together with a big wooden spoon. I read in a cookbook a long time ago, that Blondies turn out significantly better when all the ingredients are stirred together by hand. The book was written by a baker that said she tested the theory out and it was indeed true. Well, ever since then, I always follow her advice and hand stir.
The recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of bourbon. If you don’t have any, or simply prefer to not use it, the recipe works just fine without it. I think the bourbon enhances the butterscotch flavor but I don’t think it imparts much bourbon flavor, if any at all, to the Blondies. I make a Double Frosted Bourbon Brownie and that definitely has a bourbon flavor. That brownie recipe pours the bourbon over the just baked brownie rather than adding it to the batter before it bakes. Here’s the Brownie Recipe in case you want to check it out.
I personally like my Blondies refrigerated just like my Brownies. I think it enhances their fudgy texture.
Makes 12 large or 24 small bars.
Back In The Day Blondies
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Sticks Unsalted Butter Melted
- 2 Cups Light Brown Sugar Packed
- 2 Large Eggs At Room Temperature
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons Bourbon
- 1/4 Cup Pecans Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Sweetened Flaked Coconut Toasted
- 1/4 Cup Mini Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9X13 inch baking dish with Aluminum foil or parchment paper extending the short edges over the pan by 2-3 inches. Spray well with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl then set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a large spoon, mix together the melted butter and brown sugar. Stir in the eggs, vanilla, and bourbon. Add the flour mixture and stir until combined then add the pecans, coconut, and mini chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter in prepared baking pan and bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the edges of the blondies brown. Cool blondies completely in pan set on a wire rack.
More Recipes Like This!
Cranberry Bliss Bars-Starbucks Copycat – Perfectly glazed sweet bars the whole family will enjoy!
Cranberry White Chocolate Chip and Pecan Cookies -A lovely combination of sweet and a bit tart all at the same time.