Shortbread cookies or biscuits if you’re from the UK, have been around for generations, and this chocolate chip shortbread cookies recipe is just one of many variations on these classic cookies. Baked on low temperatures to a golden brown, shortbread cookies are often served as Christmas cookies, but I think they’re perfect any time with a cup of tea or coffee. They’re so simple to make with their basic ingredients and quick prep.
I love this chocolate chip shortbread cookies recipe because it crosses my favorite chocolate chip cookies with a classic shortbread. The result is nothing short of delicious!
Turn on the oven, and let’s get baking!
Butter cookies, like this chocolate chip shortbread cookies recipe, have been around for generations. Here are just a few reasons I love this classic cookie!
- Simple ingredients
- Straightforward prep
- Makes plenty to share
- Perfect for any occasion
Shortbread cookies are simple to make with basic ingredients. Here are a few extra tips!
Cookies are spreading: If you notice your cookies are spreading too much while baking, chill them for about 30 minutes before cooking.
Don’t over mix: As you incorporate the flour, stop mixing when most of it has worked into the dough. Since you’ve got more stirring to do with the chocolate chips, the last little bit will get taken care of at that point.
Overworking flour in cookie dough can lead to tough, doughy cookies– just the opposite of what you want in this chocolate chip shortbread cookies recipe!
Unsalted Butter: First, you must use full fat, real butter! Margarine will make your shortbread sad and greasy. I also recommend using unsalted butter so you can control the salt level, which is super important in salted chocolate chip shortbread cookies.
Shortbread goes stale very easily. Be sure to store it in a well-sealed container in a cool place. Also, make sure your cookies are completely cool before putting them in the container.
Can You Freeze This?
You can freeze both the dough or the baked cookies. For the dough, drop by spoonfuls onto a cookies sheet and freeze for an hour or two. Place the frozen dough balls in a freezer bag.
To freeze the baked cookies, allow them to cool completely. I suggest individually wrapping the cookies in cling wrap before putting them in a freezer bag. Be sure to store them where they won’t be jostled or squished, or you’ll have shortbread crumbs instead of cookies!
Make Ahead Tips
The dough will hold well in the fridge for several days. Just be sure to put it in a tightly sealed container and store it separately from any foods with strong odors like onions.
How Long Can You Keep This?
According to food handling guidelines, cookies store at room temperature for 5-7 days. In the freezer, they can keep for up to 6 months.
This Chocolate Chip Shortbread recipe is a great base for several variations! Here are a few suggestions.
Can I Add Chocolate?
If you wanted to make these double chocolate shortbread cookies, you could add cocoa to the dough. I would start with about 1/3 of a cup and decrease the flour by 1/4 cup.
Can I Use Oats In This Recipe?
The texture of this Chocolate chip shortbread cookie recipe probably wouldn’t accommodate oats very well.
For a deliciously moist and chewy chocolate and oatmeal cookie, try my cowboy cookies that are packed with oats, coconut, pecans, and chocolate! My monster cookies are similar but have even more fun ingredients. These definitely aren’t your run of the mill peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookies!
Can I Turn These Into German Christmas Cookies?
Since this chocolate chip shortbread cookies recipe is a butter cookie, it is very similar to a lot of German Christmas cookies.
Traditional springerle is a shortbread cookie with an embossed top. They’re delicate, elegant, and delicious! Lebkuchen is another traditional German cookie that is full of spice and will remind you of gingerbread cookies.
Can I Turn These Into Cookie Bars?
You could easily bake this recipe as cookies bars. Instead of scooping out into balls, press the dough into a baking sheet. I would suggest lining the sheet with parchment paper and chilling the dough for about 30 minutes after pressing into the pan. The extra handling will melt the butter and can interfere with your end result.
I love traybakes like chocolate chip cheesecake bars. Without the extra step of making individual cookies, monster cookie bars and 7 layer bars are so quick and easy to make!
What Other Shortbread Cookies Can I Bake?
Pecan shortbread cookies are a delicious option for shortbread with their buttery, nutty taste and crumbly texture. In the same vein, almond shortbread cookies are just like traditional almond cookies that are served in different variations all around the world.
Caramel shortbread cookies, also known as Millionaire Shortbread, have a shortbread crust with a layer of caramel topped with chocolate. They are every bit as good as their name implies!
Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using a handheld electric mixer set on medium speed, cream together the butter and sugar until they are just combined. Add the vanilla Gradually stir in the flour mixture, then stir in chocolate chips.
- Using a medium cookie scoop shape dough and place on ungreased cookie sheets 2 inches apart. Flatten cookies slightly with the bottom of a glass. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until edges begin to brown. Allow to cool on baking sheets for 10 minutes then remove to wire rack and cool completely.
- Place cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place 1 cup of chocolate chips in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on 50% for 30 seconds, stir until completely melted. Spoon melted chocolate into a small ziplock. Cut off one corner and drizzle each cookie with chocolate. Allow chocolate to set. Store cookies in an airtight container.
Fans Also Made:
None foundRATE THIS RECIPE
If you’re starting to think about your Yuletide cookie trays, check out these great Christmas Cookies recipes!
- Christmas Sugar Cookies – classic and delicious
- Yugoslavian Christmas Cookies – shortbread crust with a nutty meringue top
- Reindeer Oreos – super fun to make with the kiddos
- Crockpot Candy – simple, convenient, and oh-so-good!
- Christmas Crack – I betcha can’t eat just one piece!
This chocolate chip shortbread cookies recipe is a fantastic spin on traditional shortbread. You’ll love how the simple ingredients come together in a delicious, decadent treat! I can’t wait to hear how they work for you!
Be sure to leave a comment below!
Adapted from Allrecipes