Yugoslavian Christmas Cookies Are A Unique Christmas Cookie Made Up Of Layers Of Crunchy Nuts, A Meringue Topping, Blackberry Jelly On A Shortbread Crust!
This is an unusual and incredibly sublime cookie. I had these for the first time over ten years ago at a neighborhood Christmas cookie swap. When I took my first bite, I remember, I almost swooned! I loved that they were so unique and unusual.
The crunchy nut and meringue topping over the berry shortbread crust was divine. But there was something else…. another flavor mixed in that was just wonderful. Something very familiar that alluded me.
I discovered a bit later what it was when my sweet neighbor Linnell gave me the recipe. It was the clean, crisp addition of lemon extract. That little addition took these cookies from delicious to, in my ever so almost humble opinion, to absolutely sublime. I hope you give these a try. They’re great all year round, btw!
Yugoslavian Christmas Cookies
- 1/2 Pound Unsalted Butter at Room Temperature
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Egg Yolk Large
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt Salt
- 2 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 4 Large Egg Whites
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Ground Walnuts
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Extract
- 1 Cup Blackberry Jelly
- 1/4 Cup Walnuts Chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar together thoroughly; add egg yolk and salt and combine. Add flour and combine. Pat mixture into a 9X13 inch pan.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Gradually add 1 cup sugar. Continue to beat until you reach a meringue consistency. Gently fold in ground walnuts and lemon extract.
- Spread jelly over dough mixture in pan.
- Swirl meringue over jelly. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
- Bake for about 40 minutes. To cut, use a serrated knife and a gentle sawing motion.
I love trying recipes from other countries. Especially Holiday recipes. Another one of my favorite International holiday cookie recipes is one I make every year, my Italian Christmas Cookies. Here’s a link for some more Christmas cookies from around the world that might tickle your fancy! Let me know if you try any of them! ♥