This easy lemon cake recipe—with its delicate citrusy drizzle over a moist, zest infused cake—gives a whole new meaning to the phrase “zest for life”!
Have you been dreaming of an elegant easy lemon cake recipe, one requiring an slightly below average amount of mixing, baking, and cleaning? One that feeds a crowd, but without any readymade mix shortcuts?
Do I ever have the answer for you! I’ll tell you all about how to make this easy lemon cake recipe from scratch, no lemon cake mix required.
Before we get into the nuts and bolts (pans and bowls?) of it, let me just say that lemon cake is a glorious thing, just sayin! With fresh lemon zest, lemon oil infused sugar, and icing made with buttermilk and lemon juice, this treat leaves a lasting impression on the ol’ body and soul.
Lemon lovers of the world, you might also consider trying our Lemon Ricotta Cookies, Lemon Bars, and Lemon Brownies to your dessert roster as well. And for a more savory option, check out my Lemon Zucchini Bread!
How To Make Easy Lemon Cake Recipe:
My easy lemon cake recipe comes together in a few simple steps. Grease your trusty 9×13, then combine the dry ingredients in one container and the wet ingredients in another. Use a measuring cup for the wet mixture, to minimize dishes!
Blend the sugar with lemon zest before beating in butter, eggs, and the wet and dry mixtures. Lemon cake recipes with cake mix do work in a pinch, but I find the homemade version so much more satiating!
All that’s left is to bake and glaze! My lemony glaze is made by whisking powdered sugar, fresh lemon juice, and a little buttermilk. After glazing, cool for a couple hours before serving.
More Lemon Cake Recipes:
If you can’t get enough of lemon cake recipes, you have come to the right article! In addition to the amazing Southern lemon cake recipe feature, here are nine more classics for you to check out. Try a lemon layer cake recipe or even a lemon bundt cake next time you are in the citrus mood.
Lemon Pound Cake
Cozy Lemon Pound Cake is to die for. This is a nice small lemon cake recipe that makes enough to serve six to eight.
Lemon Cream Cheese Pound Cake
Lemon Cream Cheese Pound Cake is one super moist lemon cake recipe! Prepare yourself for a dense and buttery experience!
Lemon Cream Cake
Lemon Cream Cake makes for a BEAUTIFUL layered party cake. You will often find this one at church picnics as well!
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
Keep Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting in mind for lemon cakes, vanilla cakes, cupcakes, chocolate cakes, and even carrot cakes! Cakes are just icing vehicles anyway, right?
Lemon Layer Cake
Lemon curd is the secret weapon of the glorious white and yellow Lemon Layer Cake. Spoil your family next birthday or liturgical celebration!
Lemon Bundt Cake
Lemon Bundt Cake is super simple to make, and it provides a great excuse to show off your fancy bundt pan! Have you seen the latest designs out there?
Lemon Drizzle Cake
Lemon Drizzle Cake is a sweet little every day sort of tea or social call cake. Wrap one up for that new neighbor you’ve been waiting to greet!
Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
Lemon Poppy Seed Cake is another nice tea or coffee companion.
Lemon Blueberry Cake
Lemon blueberry cake prepared with real, fresh blueberries may just make the prettiest picture of all! You have to see it to believe it! You can enjoy juicy local berries from April to September.
Recipe Notes For Lemon Cake
Why separate wet and dry: Blending wet and dry ingredients separately ensures an even mixture! You don’t want all your flavor in one corner of the cake, all your baking soda in a second, and all your salt in a third!
Why cream the sugar and lemon zest: This unusual technique infuses the sugar with oil from the lemon peel and intensifies that lemony zing! Blend for two minutes for best results.
Don’t overmix: Overmixing this lemon cake (or any cake) batter will result in a dense lifeless product instead of a light and fluffy delight.
Why cool before serving: Oh cake, you delicious, delicate beast! If you dig in too soon, the cake will adhere to the knife and your slices may come out a crumbly mess.
Easy Lemon Cake Recipe
Try out this easy lemon cake recipe for your next special event! It makes a fun rainy day project as well, especially for any of you parents facing snow, flood, or tornado days!
Easy Lemon Cake Recipe
- 2 1/2 Cups Cake Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 Cup Buttermilk at Room Temperature
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Zest
- 12 Tablespoons 1 1/2 Sticks Unsalted Butter, at Room Temperature
- 3 Eggs Large, at Room Temperature
- 1 Egg Yolk at Room Temperature
- 3 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoon Buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray a 9 X 13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a liquid measuring cup combine buttermilk, lemon juice, and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add sugar and lemon zest. Using an electric mixer set on medium, beat until mixture is very fragrant 1-2 minutes. Transfer 1/4 cup of the sugar mixture to a small bowl and set it aside. Add butter to the remaining sugar mixture and beat until mixture is fluffy about 2 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition just until combined. Add the egg yolk and mix to combine. Set mixer to low speed and add flour mixture in 3 additions alternating with buttermilk mixture. Mix until ingredients are just blended.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish and smooth out the top. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cake to cool in pan set on a wire baking rack for 10 minutes.
- Make the glaze by whisking powdered sugar, lemon juice, and buttermilk together until even and smooth. Spread glaze over warm cake then evenly sprinkle the reserved sugar lemon zest mixture over the top. Cool the cake completely before serving at least 2 hours. Serve
More Cake Recipes!
Easy Pineapple Sheet Cake -a moist, pineapple-studded cake drenched in a sweet, creamy coconut icing, with crispy toasted pecans on top.
Coconut Sheet Cake – Incredibly delicious, super moist, Coconut Sheet Cake topped with a perfect Coconut frosting.
Strawberry Shortcake Cake -Perfectly nestles succulent strawberries between layers of a delicate buttermilk-infused cake and perfectly whipped cream!
Pineapple Sunshine Cake– Our pineapple sunshine cake is a moist, delicious treat that is super easy to make. Fruity, light, and refreshing its the perfect dessert anytime!!
More Lemon Desserts…
Lemon Ricotta Cookies – You’re gonna want seconds and probably thirds- so make a double batch!
Lemon Pound Cake – is oh so moist and tender with a wonderful subtle lemon flavor. Perfect for breakfast, tea time or just because!
Source: Cook’s Country