Springtime showers, summer flowers and strawberry cake – need I say more? This is one of those strawberry cake recipes that brings back childhood memories and makes you salivate. Think one of the best fruit cake recipes on steroids using only ripe luscious strawberries. Simple and refreshing, no frosting – no filling.
Now, if springtime means wrap-around porches, kids running through sprinklers and strawberry sheet cake then we must be soul mates! Strawberry poke cake and strawberry cream cake have always been popular at warm weather get-togethers but you’re gonna’ love these simple refreshing cake recipes.
- Vanilla cake and luscious strawberries
- Moist, refreshing, scrumptious
- Lovely delicious old fashioned cake
How To Make Strawberry Cake Recipe
When red ripe strawberries get together with moist vanilla crumb cake and have a party in your mouth you know you’re enjoying cake. Luckily, making it is pretty simple after you hull and half the strawberries. Mix the ingredients in the proper order, cover the cake with strawberries and sugar, and into the oven it goes!
For the most awesome springtime cake, don’t skip the sugar on top before it goes into the oven. It adds a bit of a sweet crunch and turns the top a nice golden brown. Also, use a toothpick to check for doneness. It’s normal for the cake to settle a little with the fruit on top.
Just remember when you zest your lemon you only want the thin outer layer. The soft white pith has a bitter taste so leave that on the lemon. A microplane works best but a zester works just fine too.
Your cake will probably get gobbled up before you can even think about storing it and it tastes best on the serving day anyway. If you must save it, be sure to wrap it up tight and keep it in the fridge.
Can You Freeze This?
Technically, I think you could probably freeze this cake, but the strawberries just aren’t the same when they thaw. This cake really is the best the very first day.
Make Ahead Tips
This cake is a simple recipe that is unbelievably yummy and refreshing on serving day. It doesn’t need to be made ahead and it really doesn’t last long enough to store because it gets gobbled up. You’ll get your pie plate back pretty quickly!
How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge?
This cake is best served fresh, but it will last for 2-3 days in the fridge if properly wrapped and stored. It really depends on how fresh the strawberries are.
Tools To Make
Mixer: If you don’t have a stand-up mixer just use an electric handheld. When a recipe calls for a longer mixing time like 4 minutes, I always lug out my stand up.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- zest from 1 fresh lemon
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 ounces strawberries hulled and halved
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously spray a 10-inch decorative pie plate with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl add flour, baking powder and salt then whisk to combine. Set-asides.
- Add butter, sugar and lemon zest to the bowl of a stand-up mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on medium for 4 minutes or until pale and fluffy and lemon zest is fragrant. Reduce speed to medium-low and add milk, eggs, and vanilla and mix until combined. Add flour mixture gradually and beat until batter is smooth. Pour batter in the prepared pie plate and smooth top with a small offset spatula. Place strawberries in a single layer, cut side down on top of batter. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar evenly over the top of the strawberries.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, and then reduce the oven temperature to 325. Continue to bake until the cake is nicely golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool the cake in the pie plate on a wire rack. Serve 🙂
Strawberry cake recipes are the epitome of summertime, so here are some other recipes you may love.
- Strawberry Pound Cake – Moist dense and full of ripe luscious strawberries.
- Strawberry Bundt Cake – Beautiful Bundt with a double dose of summer strawberries.
- Strawberry Cheesecake – Sweet cheesy decadence at its finest!
- Strawberry Layer Cake – is the perfect 3 layer strawberry cake from scratch for your gatherings this summer
- Strawberry Shortcake Cake – layers of fluffy sponge, creamy frosting, and perfectly ripe strawberries
This simple strawberry cake is a beautifully delicious rendition of everything summer. The refreshing little party in your mouth imparts joy to your taste buds and the polished presentation looks like a million bucks.
Get crave-worthy strawberry dose of happy you’ll be only too glad to share – after you have your piece of course!
Source: Martha Stewart