I’m so, so, so excited to tell you about this recipe! I’ve been totally craving strawberry cake for about a month now. I was planning on making my favorite, ‘Go To Amazing Strawberry Cake’ recipe when I saw this Strawberry Sheet Cake recipe in Southern Living magazing. Now, when I have a favorite recipe, its really, really hard to get me to even consider trying a new one for the same thing. I really can’t, for the life of me, explain what possessed be to try this Strawberry Sheet Cake recipe when I love my other recipe soooo much, but OH MY GOSH, I’m soooo glad I did!!! Okay……let me tell you about this, honest to goodness INCREDIBLE cake…….. Lets start with the cake itself………it’s made with cake flour so of course its tender. It’s got buttermilk and lotsa butter in it so its really moist. Okay, stay with me, it has fresh strawberries and a sprinkle of strawberry jello in it, so it’s got the perfect “strawberryness” to the strawberry flavor…….if you know what I mean! Now for the surprise, knock your socks off, I’m really serious, “SURPRISE punch”……………..the FROSTING.
The frosting is a lovely lemon, cream cheese, and whipped cream concoction that just may make you weep a little bit. It’s okay if you do……………we’re all friends here and ain’t no one who tastes this cake is gonna judge! I promise you friend 🙂 Seriously, leave it to Southern Living to come up with a frosting that can make grown men and women weep a bit when they taste it! The flavors of this cake makes it absolutely perfect for spring and summer. It’s so yummy, I think it will be the perfect addition for my Easter buffet. I think I’ll make the cake the day before and refrigerate it overnight then make the frosting and frost it on Easter. Since the frosting is made with whipped cream it’s better served the same day its made. I hope you give this cake a try soon. Don’t say I didn’t warn you about the surprise punch. OH……and have a little hanky ready just in case…………..
More Cake Recipes!
Easy Pineapple Sheet Cake -a moist, pineapple-studded cake drenched in a sweet, creamy coconut icing, with crispy toasted pecans on top.
Coconut Sheet Cake – Incredibly delicious, super moist, Coconut Sheet Cake topped with a perfect Coconut frosting.
Strawberry Sheet Cake with Lemon Frosting
- Unsalted Butter, at Room Temperature - 1 Cup
- Sugar - 2 Cups
- Eggs, Large - 2
- Fresh Lemon Juice - 2 Teaspoons
- Vanilla Extract - 1 Teaspoon
- Cake Flour - 2 1/2 Cups
- Strawberry Flavored Jello Gelatin Powder - 2 Tablespoon
- Baking Soda - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Salt - 1/4 Teaspoon
- Buttermilk, Well Shaken - 1 Cup
- Fresh Strawberries, Chopped - 2/3 Cups
- Cream Cheese, At Room Temperature - 8 Ounces
- Sugar, Divided - 2/3 Cups
- Fresh Strawberries, Chopped - 2/3 Cups
- Heavy Cream - 1 1/2 Cups
- Fresh Lemon Juice - 3 Tablespoons
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 X 13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Line baking dish with parchment paper with the long sides extending 2-3 inches. Spray parchment with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Using a stand up electric mixer, beat butter until creamy. Slowly add sugar then continue to beat 4-5 minutes until it's fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, and beat after each addition until they're incorporated. Add lemon juice and vanilla and mix in.
3. In a small bowl combine flour, strawberry jello, baking soda and salt. Add the flour mixture to butter mixture alternating with the buttermilk, begining and ending with the flour mixture, mixing until just combined. Gently stir in strawberries. Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool cake completely. Lift the cake out of the pan, using the parchment paper extensions.
4. Make the frosting: In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese with 1/3 cup of sugar until mixture is smooth. Fold in strawberries.
5. In a large bowl, beat the cream and lemon juice until mixture is frothy. Continue beating on medium-high speed and gradually add the remaining 1/3 cup sugar. Beat until mixture forms stiff peaks. Fold half of whipped cream mixture into the cream cheese mixture until just incorporated. Fold in the rest of the whipped cream mixture.
6. Immediately spread the top and sides of the cake with frosting. Serve :)