Apple braised chicken is a healthy, quick, and easy gem of a recipe. Green apples, ginger, onion, and apple cider produce an incredibly flavorful low-fat winner. Perfect for a busy weeknight! You’re going to love this one!!
Apple Braised Chicken Recipe
This is one of my daughter’s favorite chicken dishes. Whenever I ask her what she would like to have included in the weekly menu planning, she immediately says, “Apple braised chicken!”. I love it because it’s not only delicious it’s relatively quick to put together and tastes like something that’s taken a long time to prepare. Can you say WIN! WIN!?! Perfect for a satisfying weeknight meal.
This recipe started out as a Weight Watchers recipe and while I believe I’ve kept it fairly low fat and healthy, it probably a few more calories than the WW recipe.
Looking for more delicious chicken recipes? My chicken marsala, chicken alfredo, and honey garlic chicken recipe are all promised to become favorites at your dinner table too. Whoever said chicken was boring?! Try my buttermilk roasted chicken recipe next. It’s the most chicken recipe on my site.
On your phone? Check out my web story here.
How to Store and Make Ahead
- How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge? This can be refrigerated for up to 4 days.
- Can You Freeze This? Yes, place it in an airtight container, heavy-duty freezer bag, or silicon resealable bag for up to 4 months.
- Make-Ahead Tips: This can be made a day ahead of serving and gently reheated on the stovetop.
Step By Step How To Make How to Make
- Season chicken with salt and pepper then toss in flour.
- Sear chicken pieces in a skillet. Remove and set aside.
- Saute onions until lightly browned.
- Stir in apples, cider, chicken broth, salt and pepper, ginger, and chicken. Simmer until the chicken is cooked and the apples are tender.
- Add cornstarch mixture to the skillet to thicken the sauce. Check seasonings and add more salt and pepper.
- Use chicken thighs. Switch out the breasts for chicken thighs and create apple cider braised chicken thighs.
- Add dijon to taste and create apple dijon braised chicken.
More One-Skillet Chicken Recipes
Apple Braised Chicken
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into large chunks
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 medium granny smith apples cored and sliced
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to season chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper plus more to season chicken
- 3/4 teaspoon dried ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- cooked white or brown rice
- Season chicken. Sprinkle both sides of chicken generously with salt and pepper. In a large ziplock bag, add flour (1/4 cup) and chicken (4) and toss to coat evenly.
- Sear chicken. In a large skillet, heat two tablespoons of vegetable oil over high heat. Place chicken pieces in skillet and brown on medium-high heat until brown on both sides. You may need to do this in batches, depending on the size of your skillet. Don't crowd the chicken. Remove cooked chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Saute. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to the pan, reduce heat to medium, and add onion slices (1) and cook until tender and lightly browned.
- Braise. Stir in apples (2), cider (2 cups), chicken broth (1 cup), salt (1/2 teaspoon), pepper (1/4 teaspoon), ginger (3/4 teaspoon), and chicken. Bring to a gentle simmer and cover and cook until chicken is tender and cooked through and apples are nice and soft about 20-30 minutes.
- Thicken sauce + enjoy! In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch (2 tablespoons) and about 1/4 cup pan juices until smooth. Add cornstarch mixture to skillet and stir constantly for about one minute. If the sauce isn't thickened to your liking, make another cornstarch and pan juice mixture and stir in. Check seasonings and add more salt and pepper, if needed to taste. Serve over cooked rice and enjoy!
Fans Also Made:
- Cooked rice is not included in the nutritional information.
Source Adapted From Weight Watchers