Monterey chicken is one of those chicken recipes the family looks forward to all week long. Those sheet pan chicken recipes have nothing on this. Tender succulent chicken breast is shamelessly smothered in tangy barbecue sauce, crispy bacon, and shredded cheese for starters.
If you’re like me, you like to stock up on chicken when it’s on sale and prep ahead. Meals like balsamic chicken and chicken Francaise are good for this. Although I have been known to make a mean chicken lazone or chicken florentine when the mood strikes. But this recipe is the way to go on a busy weeknight when you need a scrumptious satisfying meal.
Let’s get cookin’!
What I Love About This Recipe
- It’s a wonderful mix of tangy and sweetness
- Quick and easy one-skillet meal!
- It’s made with bacon.
How To Make Monterey Recipe
Serving up this yummy Monterey Chicken is so easy, and you won’t believe how delicious it is! First, pan-fry some bacon and set it aside. Then sauté your chicken breast in the drippings and cover them with barbecue sauce.
Crumble bacon and sprinkle shredded cheese on top before sliding into the oven. Now garnish and enjoy!
I like to make my Monterey chicken in an oven-safe skillet to cut down on dishes. An iron skillet works great for this because it can go from stovetop to oven and then straight to the table.
You can also be sure there are no hot or cold spots in your skillet. If you don’t have an oven-safe skillet, then simply transfer chicken to a casserole dish after browning and build your recipe.
This Monterey Chicken recipe works best with boneless chicken breasts. You’ll also want to use your favorite barbecue sauce. I like to grab one with honey or brown sugar in it because they tend to stick to the chicken well.
Tools to Make
The most important tool for this tangy Monterey chicken recipe is a good oven-safe skillet (and a hearty appetite). You’ll want a heavy-duty skillet that distributes heat evenly.
How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge?
In the unlikely event that you have leftovers, they’ll stay fresh and yummy for up to 4 days in the fridge. Just drop what’s left into an airtight container and slide it into the fridge. Easy peasy!
Can You Freeze This?
Sure. Simply store it in an airtight freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Just slow thaw it in the fridge overnight and you’re good to go. Don’t expect to have a ton of leftovers, though. This tangy bit of deliciousness gets gobbled up quick and in a hurry.
Make Ahead Tips
If you’re a prep-aholic, like me, you can have this Monterey chicken recipe ready to go. Your first option is to prepare the recipe up until the part where you put it in the oven and slide it into the fridge instead. Then cook it the next day.
Or you can go the freezer route, but this meal can be on the table in just over half an hour with virtually no prep.
This Monterey Chicken recipe pairs really well with cornbread (jalapeno bacon cornbread, Southern cornbread) and a crisp green salad like southwest salad. The flavors just dance around in your mouth and it’s a well-balanced meal everyone will love.
- 8 ounces chopped bacon,
- 4 chicken breast halves boneless, skinless
- salt, to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 cup Monterey cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar, shredded
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced
- Cook bacon in an oven safe 12-inch skillet until crispy. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside. Remove all but 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings from skillet.
- Cook the chicken on medium high heat, about 5 minutes per side, depending on thickness, or until chicken nicely browned and there is no longer any pink.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Drizzle chicken with BBQ sauce, then sprinkle cheese and bacon. Place skillet in the preheated oven, until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and top chicken with green onions, and tomatoes and serve immediately.
Fans Also Made:
None foundRATE THIS RECIPE
More Sheet Pan Chicken Recipes
Sheet pan chicken recipes are the king of convenience, but they don’t have to be bland and boring. You can still have a 5-star meal after a long hard day with these scrumptious simple recipes.
- Honey Mustard Chicken – Sweet zesty deliciousness at its finest.
- Dorito Chicken – Jazz up dinner with that signature crunch we love so much.
- Mushroom Chicken – Serve up layers of flavor in a simple scrumptious dinner that’s sure to please.
- Chicken Kiev – Rich buttery succulence wrapped around your favorite white meat.
- Harissa Chicken – A sweet and smokey rendition that’ll bring them running!
Making Monterey Chicken is an easy way to take a decadent break from the same old recipes without spending all evening in the kitchen. It’s a well-balanced meal that requires minimal prep, no crazy tools, and a minimal time commitment.
Plus, the family’s gonna’ love it! And yes – they’re gonna’ want seconds!
What a flavorful meal!
m-m-m really good i would make it again was not sure at first about bacon and BBQ sauce but it all goes together well looked and smelled good tasted even better
Oh my goodness, this was so delicious! Even my picky husband loved this; he even took some to lunch the next day!!
Thanks, Heidi! 😀 So happy to hear that you and your hubby liked it!