If you know bang bang sauce, you know that it’s good on everything. Guaranteed to take any plate from sad to saucy, from basic to bangin’ — it pairs equally well with grilled meat, fried seafood, and your favorite vegetables. This sauce reminds me of Vegas—and I’m willing to bet you’ll love it as much as I do.
Will drive for Bang Bang Sauce! This recipe is inspired by our love for the bang bang sauce at Bonefish Grill. My husband and I kept finding ourselves driving the 30 minutes for grilled fish, fried shrimp, tacos, you name it. And then we realized—all of our favorites were served with the bang bang sauce.
Bang Bang Sauce Recipe
Sadly, the grill is closed now. I would still drive 30 minutes for that sauce. But this copycat recipe does the trick. These days we serve it most often with grilled chicken and veggies—make it once and you’ll want to try it on everything. Next time your plate needs a boost of bold flavor, bring on the bang bang sauce.
On your phone? Check the web story here.
What Is Bang Bang Sauce?
It’s a rich, creamy, sweet, and savory mayonnaise-based sauce that’s totally addictive. It was made famous at Bonefish Grill slathered on their Bang Bang Shrimp appetizer.
Is Bang Bang Same as Yum Yum?
No, they are not the same. Both are creamy mayo-based sauces. Bang Bang is a slightly sweet sauce, due to the Thai sweet chili sauce in the recipe, while Yum Yum is a bit more savory with a subtle tomato flavor.
- sweet chili sauce
- rice wine vinegar
What To Serve This Bang Bang Sauce On
Short cut bang bang shrimp sauce! This is amazing drizzles on shrimp. Bang bang shrimp recipe is famous at Bonefish Grill restaurant. At other restaurants it’s sometimes called boom boom shrimp I make a shortcut version of it at home by buying popcorn fried shrimp, heating it up, and drizzling this sauce allll over it. Sprinkle with green onions, red chiles, or red chili flakes. Ammmazing!!! It’s a great main dish or appetizer, and the prep time is minimal. It’s great to whip up for unexpected guests! Keep a box of shrimp in your freezer at all times!
I like to make bang bang chicken, too. Its crisp chicken fried bites drizzled with the sauce. It also makes a great dipping sauce for chicken wings. It’s great with most types of protein.
This is a great dipping sauce for french fries.
- Make Spicy Bang Bang Sauce- Add more Sriracha sauce (or hot sauce of your choice) or a minced red Thai chili, or jalapeno in a pinch.
- Lemon Juice- If you’d like the sauce a bit tangier, use lemon juice for part or all of the rice wine vinegar.
- Lighten Up- Use Greek yogurt in place of the mayo.
- Love Garlic- If you want to add another layer of flavor, mix in some garlic powder or switch the sweet chili sauce for garlic chili sauce.
How to Make Homemade Bang Bang Sauce
- Measure and prepare all ingredients.
- Whisk it all together.
The complete instructions are below.
Storing + Make Ahead
- How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge? Since this sauce has mayonnaise, it’ll last in the fridge for up to 3 months. I keep it covered with plastic wrap in a small bowl or airtight container. I like to store mine in a mason jar.
- Make-Ahead Tips: Make a big batch, place it in a bottle or a jar and refrigerate it for a week. But, since the total time for prep is 3 minutes, you may not want to even bother to make it ahead.
More Sauce Recipes
If you make this yummy sauce, I’d it if you snapped a photo and tagged me on Instagram, @gonna_want_seconds, or please share this recipe on Pinterest, Facebook, or Yummly! I really appreciate your support, my friends!!
Bang Bang Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2--1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- Whisk together all ingredients and store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.