Have you ever heard of, or tasted, awesome sauce? Its taste is exactly as deliciously awesome as the name implies it will! You’re going to love this sauce smothered on burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, savory bakery goods, seafood, roasted veggies, or my absolute favorite, french fries!
Let’s face it, with most wonderful recipes, it’s all about dat sauce baby! Delicious food is at your beck and call with this easy peasy recipe!
Awesome Sauce Recipe
This sauce is perfect for drizzling on, smothering with, or dipping into. It’s similar to a classic burger sauce but is a little more complex and layered in flavor, with just a bit of kick. It’s not too sassy but it has a nice heat and a good tang.
Who knew a sauce could have all of these things going for it and only take 5 minutes to make! No blender or food processor is needed. Just a spoon or fork to mix it up!
All you need to gather to make this delicious sauce are a few simple ingredients you likely already have in your pantry. All of them are readily available at your local supermarket so you won’t ever have to run around to find them.
What Is Awesome Sauce?
Well, it’s actually a couple of things. It’s a commonly used slang phrase that refers to something really good. Evidently, when this is used as a slang phrase, the spelling most commonly is awesomesauce.
Did you watch Breaking Bad? The universal belief is that the origin of this phrase is from this serious! I believe the character Bryan was the first to use the phrase awesome sauce/awesomesauce.
It’s also, more importantly, a wonderful dipping sauce that was originally called S’awesome sauce. It was the best known as being served at Wendy’s as a sauce to dip chicken nuggets in.
This huge fan favorite was ultimately discontinued, not due to lack of popularity or fabulous flavor, but because it was embroiled in a legal battle with a company claiming to create it. Do miss this Wendy’s sauce too when you visit?
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Ballpark mustard
- Dijon mustard
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Cayenne powder
- Celery salt
- Liquid smoke
- Apple cider vinegar
- Granulated sugar
- Fresh dill: The one and only fresh herbs used. In a pinch, you can substitute 2 teaspoons fresh dill for 1/2 teaspoon dried dill.
Tips and Tricks
- Make a BIG batch! So, I suggest this often with my sauces. I think it’s because I love sauces and when I have them on hand, waiting to be used in the refrigerator, I find a bunch of ways to use them.
- The recipe as written makes about 8 ounces. In my house, that will generously dress 6 burgers.
- But then I generally serve fries with burgers! Well, what are fries without some great sauce to dip in? Then how about sandwiches later in the week? Gotta have something great to dress them with to make them special. Got fried or steamed shrimp for dinner? Well, I want some sauce to dunk them in! It goes on and on. So, you see my dilemma. I make at least a double batch ♥
- This sauce is vegetarian and easily made as a Vegans version.
Storing + Freezing + Make-Ahead Tips
- How Long Does This Sauce Keep? Since this sauce has mayo, it’ll last in the fridge for up to 3 months. Make sure you store this properly in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Can You Freeze This? Mayonnaise is listed as one of the food that shouldn’t be frozen. Technically it can be, but the ingredients will separate and the texture won’t be the same as before.
- Make-Ahead Tips: Make a big batch, place it in a bottle or a jar and refrigerate it for a week.
Make it Spicy: Add one or more chopped chipotle in adobo sauce, finely chopped, predicated for, and to your tolerance and liking for heat. If you don’t happen to have a can of these beauties on hand, add your favorite hot sauce and or some cayenne pepper.
I, personally like Sriracha sauce. It’s hot, spicy, a bit slightly sweet, and a bit complex!
More Sauce Sauce Baby Sauces
And more coming SOON!
This sauce is the best thing! Drizzle, dunk, smother, or dip into this sauce to make a great meal!! Please let me know if you make it and how you use it in the comments below. Feedback is always welcome!
Happy drizzling, dunking, and smothering my friends!! in my heart of hearts, I know you’re gonna love this one!!
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons ballpark mustard
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/8 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons chopped dill
- Add all ingredient in a small mixing bowl. Blending with a whisk until evenly combined.
Fans Also Made: