This easy-to-make, perfect for busy weeknight dinners, chicken tamale casserole will knock your socks off with just how delicious it is! A sweet corn pudding base, mild enchilada sauce, chicken, and, of course, lotsa melted cheese. This is truly the best chicken tamale casserole, ever!
This chicken casserole is in my year-round regular dinner rotation. Imagine a thick layer of a delicious, super moist, sweet corn pudding, topped with a little sauce, then with yummy chicken and lots of gooey melted cheese. It’s all the best elements of chicken tamales in an easy-to-put-together casserole. Well, can you say, “hello dinner time home run!”
The fam doesn’t simply like this, they love it and absolutely devour it! I usually make this with a rotisserie chicken from the market. I love how flavorful the meat is and it cuts down my prep time significantly.
Let’s make this winner-winner chicken dinner!
Ingredients For Chicken Tamale Casserole
- Monterey Jack Cheese
- Cream Style Corn
- Corn Muffin Mix
- Green Chiles
- Red Enchilada Sauce
- Cooked Chicken
- Green Onions
Storing + Freezing + Make-Ahead
- How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge? Chicken casseroles like this can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
- Can You Freeze This? This can be stored in the freezer for 4-6 months.
- Make-Ahead Tips: You can bake this ahead of time, refrigerate and reheat it.
- Food Safety: If you’d like more info on food safety check out this link
More Mexican-Inspired Casserole Recipes!
- Dorito Chicken Casserole
- White Chicken Enchiladas
- Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
- Shrimp Enchiladas
- Dorito Casserole
Chicken Tamale Casserole
- cooking spray
- 2 1/4 cups Monterey jack cheese divided
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 (14.75-ounce) can cream style corn
- 2 (8.5-ounce) box corn muffin mix (I used Jiffy)
- 2 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles, with most of the liquid drained
- 1 (10-ounce) can red enchilada sauce (I used mild)
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cut into chunks or shredded
- 1/4 cup green onions thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Spray a 9x13 - inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine 1/2 cup cheese and the next 6 ingredients (through chiles) in a large bowl, stirring just until moist. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Bake at 400°F (204°C) for 35 minutes or until set. Pierce the entire surface liberally with a fork; pour enchilada sauce (1 can) over top. Top with chicken (3 cups); sprinkle with the remaining 2 cups of cheese. Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from oven; let stand for 5 minutes. Top casserole with green onions (1/4 cup) and cut into serving pieces;
I don’t often repeat recipes, but this one is just too good not to! We’ve been making this for years. It’s quick, easy, budget friendly, and a crowd pleaser! I don’t eat meat but my hubby does so I sub the chicken out for black beans on half of it. I also like to change up the protein for my hubby with shrimp
That’s awesome, Alyssa! 😀 So happy to hear you and your hubby like it!