My fried cabbage and bacon recipe is buttery, tender, savory, and salty!
It’s the easiest and yummiest way to eat your greens! This recipe is a snap to put together so it’s one I reach for often. It makes a great light supper or a delicious side dish that goes with almost every dinner. Most importantly, it’s a veggie even my kid’s happily chowed down.
Let’s face it: the southern side dishes are the best! Whether it’s scalloped potatoes, fluffy mashed potatoes, or savory southern style green beans, people flip for southern specialties. And why shouldn’t they? We know we’re getting home-cooked flavor — and BACON!
This fried cabbage and bacon recipe brings that southern charm — plus the ease of cooking in thirty minutes! Whip it up with your favorite potato soup or a slow-cooked roast for a southern meal your family will love.
- Easy, quick side dish — 30 minutes to done!
- Great way to get your family to eat their veggies
- Goes with any main meal!
This fried cabbage and bacon recipe harnesses the awesome power of fried cabbage with bacon grease! Anything fried in bacon grease is bound to be good, but let me convince you:
Cabbage: Not all cabbages are created equal! Make sure, for this recipe, that you get green cabbage, not red. Red is more akin to making sauerkraut and doesn’t fry up as nicely as green.
Cajun Seasoning: What, exactly, is Cajun seasoning? It’s the seasoning that’ll make this recipe even more delightfully southern! There are lots of Cajun seasoning brands out there, here’s the one I use.
How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge?
This is best stored, sealed, in the fridge for up to five days. The best way I’ve found to reheat is to either microwave it or re-fry it on the stove to reawaken the bacon and cabbage!
Can You Freeze This Fried Bacon and Cabbage Recipe?
I like this fried cabbage and bacon recipe best the day it is made. The texture really doesn’t stand up well to freezing.
Make Ahead Tips
Since this recipe whips together so quickly, there really is no way to speed along the process! You can always make it fully and store it until you need it, but I think it tastes best freshly made.
Now, the big question: what do you serve with this recipe?
I love a good, hearty protein main dish! Try it with my smothered chicken, Instant Pot pork chops, or my honey glazed salmon — both bring a scrumptious twist of sweetness that perfectly balances the savory cabbage!
- Add noodles. Mix in some pasta for the cabbage and noodle dish, haluski!
- Add sausage: Go for double the meats in fried cabbage with bacon and sausage.
- Make it vegetarian. Swap the bacon for oil in the vegetarian-friendly fried cabbage without bacon.
Fried Cabbage And Bacon
- 2 pounds head green cabbage
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Chop cabbage.
- Chop bacon.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat, until crisp, Using a slotted spoon, remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Saute onion in bacon dripping, on medium-low heat, until onion is soft, about 6-8 minutes. Add cabbage and toss with onion mixture. Continue to cook, stirring often, for 8-10 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, salt, pepper, cajun seasoning, and sugar and continue to cook until cabbage is tender. Stir the bacon back into the cabbage until combined. Serve
Fans Also Made: