This hamburger hashbrown casserole is a super creamy, hearty, beefy casserole that is sure to become a family favorite. This casserole has it all, beef, potatoes, carrots, and peas so it’s a complete meal in one, baking in one casserole dish.
This takes just about 20 minutes of prep time and about 45 minutes of hands-off baking time. The ingredients are easy to find at most grocery stores. The best part is it’s a hearty comfort food dish your family will love in your monthly dinner rotation!
If you love hearty, beefy casseroles as much as I do, I hope you’ll try my hamburger casserole (my son’s all-time favorite dinner!), hamburger potato casserole, taco casserole, and Johnny Marzetti casserole next!
Hamburger Hashbrown Casserole Ingredients
- Ground Beef – I use a mix of 80/20. I like the flavor the 20% of fat brings to the dish.
- Onion: Use either a yellow or white onion.
- Garlic: Use fresh garlic, not the stuff that comes already minced in a jar.
- Salt + Black Pepper
- Hash Brown: I like to use the shredded type of frozen hashbrowns. I prefer to thaw them before adding them to the casserole.
- Cream of Mushroom Soup: You can use any of the “cream of soups.” That said, I like the flavor of the mushroom best in this casserole.
- Sour Cream: I use the flavor of full fat.
- Milk: I use full fat but any type will work.
- Mozzarella Cheese + Cheddar Cheese: I love the combo of these cheeses but feel freeze to add your favorites.
- Worcestershire Sauce: This adds great flavor, don’t skip it.
- Frozen Peas and Carrots: These are best added thawed and very well drained.
Storing + Freezing + Make-Ahead
- How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge? This hamburger hashbrown casserole with frozen hashbrown makes a dish that will last up to four days in the fridge.
- Can You Freeze This Casserole? Yes. Place this casserole in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw it in the fridge overnight, then bake according to the recipe.
- Make Ahead Tips: You can make the casserole a day before, and just store it in the fridge until you need to bake it.
- Food Safety: If you’d like more info on food safety check out this link.
Even though this casserole is already loaded with veggies, I like to also serve a “kid favorite vegetable side” like my Arkansas green beans or sticky-sweet brown sugar glazed carrots! I promise both of these recipes will get your kids (actually your whole family) eating their vegetables!
How to Make Hamburger Hashbrown Casserole
- Cook the ground beef, onion, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Brown the ground beef, and drain off excess fat. Set aside.
- Combine the cooled beef and the rest of the ingredients
- Pour the mixture onto the baking sheet.
- Bake until the hash browns are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and add the remaining cheese. Bake again until the cheese melts.
- Garnish with parsley.
***See the full instructions below.
More Beefy Casserole Recipes
- John Wayne Casserole
- Mexican Casserole
- Dorito Casserole
- Mexican Tater Tot Casserole
- Shredded Beef Enchiladas
- Stuffed Pepper Casserole
Craving more delicious recipes?
I hope you’ll join our cooking family! Subscribe to Gonna Want Seconds and receive all our latest recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Absolutely free to you and we never share your email address.
Hamburger Hashbrown Casserole
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (20-ounce) bag frozen hash browns, thawed
- 2 (10.5-ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, Divided shredded
- 2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (12-ounces) bag frozen peas and carrots, thawed and well drained
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C) and spray a 9X13 baking pan with a non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a 12-inch skillet, cook the ground beef (2 pounds), onion (1 cup), garlic (4 cloves), salt (1 teaspoon), and black pepper (1/2 teaspoon), over medium-high heat until there's no longer any pink in the beef. Drain off excess fat. Remove from the cooktop and let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooled beef, hash browns (1 bag), soup (2 cans), sour cream (1/2 cup), milk (1/4 cup), 1 cup mozzarella, 1 cup cheddar, thawed peas and carrot (1 bag), and Worcestershire sauce (1 tablespoon).
- Pour into prepared baking dish and spread evenly.
- Bake, uncovered for 40-50 minutes, or until the hash browns are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle the top with the remaining 1 cup mozzarella and 1 cup cheddar. Return to oven and continue to cook until cheese is melted. Garnish with parsley.
Fans Also Made:
On your phone? Check the web story here.