This is a family favorite. The original recipe came from Bon Appetit but has evolved over the years to suit our taste. It is a great weeknight meal because it doesn’t require any marinading time and once you have the steak sliced it cooks fairly quickly. I serve these tacos with all the usual things like shredded cheese, sour cream, lettuce and whatever else suits my mood, but, to tell you the truth, they are so nicely seasoned you easily could serve them without all that stuff. In fact, when my son was still living at home, I had to watch the pan closely or he would eat half of it before it got to the table! ( I always let him have a few bites before I “notice” so he could think he was mister sneaky! ).
Source: Adapted From Bon Appetite
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 2 Medium Red Onions Thinly Sliced
- 2 Red Bell Peppers Thinly Sliced
- About 1 Pound Flank Steak Sliced Across The Grain as Thinly as Possible
- 1 Cup Whole Kernel Corn Canned or Frozen,Drained
- 1-2 Jalapeno Pepper Stemmed, Seeded and Finely Chopped
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Ground Cumin
- 2 Teaspoons Dried Chili Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoons Black Pepper
- Warm Flour or corn Tortillas
- Shredded Cheese of Choice
- Tomatoes Chopped
- Green Onions Thinly Sliced
- Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat and add the onions and the peppers. Saute until very tender about 12 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add steak to skillet and cook until it is no longer pink about 1 minute. Add jalapenos, corn, reserved onions and peppers, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes or until jalapenos have slightly softened and flavors have melded. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- Serve with warm flour or corn tortillas and any taco fixings you like. Enjoy!
More Taco Recipes…
Taco Meat Recipe– With just the right amount of spice, my Taco Meat Recipe is ready in 20 minutes! No need to wait for Taco Tuesday! With this recipe, anytime is Taco Time!