With just the right amount of spice, my Taco Meat Recipe is ready in 20 minutes! No need to wait for Taco Tuesday! With this recipe, anytime is Taco Time!
The right Taco Meat Recipe is the cornerstone of a great taco. The true origin of tacos (tortillas stuffed with spiced meat and other fixings) is unknown. Some say they originated in the silver mines of 18th century Mexico. They’ve come a long way since then. In 2017 over 4.5 billion were consumed in the U.S. alone! They’re a regular supper at my house, and the star of the show is my Taco Meat Recipe!
When people tell me they don’t know how to cook Taco Meat with taco seasoning that doesn’t come prepackaged, I’m excited to share this recipe. I’m telling you- this recipe is so easy you’ll never use the packages again! Don’t be tempted to make this without tomato sauce. That little bit of sauce has a big impact on the depth of flavor! Saucy and spiced to perfection, this recipe will be a hit with any taco lover!
WHAT I LOVE MOST ABOUT THIS RECIPE:
- It’s bursting with taco flavor
- It’s moist but not soupy
- It’s easy to double and freeze the extra
- It can be used for more than just tacos
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Taco Meat Recipe?
There’s no need for packaged Taco Meat seasoning to make amazing tacos! To make this authentic Taco Meat recipe, you will need a variety of spices, including cumin, coriander, chili powder, oregano, cayenne pepper, and salt. You’ll also add flavor with fresh onion and garlic. Ground beef, tomato sauce, brown sugar, and apple cider vinegar round out the list.
What Is The Best Meat To Use For Taco Meat?
I like to use 80/20 ground beef. I find that that fat to lean meat ratio creates the best flavor when combined with all the delicious spices in this recipe.
How Do You Make Taco Meat Recipe?
Cooking Taco Meat is a cinch, and my recipe takes you through the process of how to make Taco Meat step by step! Start by sauteing the onion, followed by the garlic and spices until everything smells heavenly. Add in the ground beef and cook completely. Finally, stir in the tomato sauce, broth, vinegar, and brown sugar. Let the mixture simmer until it’s thickened and break out the tortillas! It’s Taco Time!
Step By Step: How To Make Taco Meat Recipe
1. Saute onions until it’s soft.
2. Add chili powder, garlic, cumin, coriander, oregano, cayenne, and salt. Cook until fragrant.
3. Add ground beef and break up the meat. Cook until there is no longer any pink left. xxxxx
4. Add tomato sauce.
5. Add vinegar.
6. Add brown sugar.
7. Simmer mixture until slightly thickened. Adjust seasoning as needed.
Now that you know how to cook Taco Meat, there’s no need to wait for Taco Night at the local Mexican joint. Any night can be Taco Night 🙂
Taco Meat ranks as one of my favorite foods. I love it on chips, in a tortilla, on a salad, in a soup… You get the idea. I admit to a slight taco obsession! So, I guess it’s no surprise that I’ve got taco recipes galore! I’ve got a Turkey Taco meat recipe that makes a perfect healthy midweek meal. It really hits the mark with both seasoning and texture and is the best Turkey Taco meat recipe I’ve ever had! My kid-friendly Walking Tacos and Dorito Taco Salad use popular chips to put a creative spin on traditional tacos. And don’t forget my Easy Mexican Taco Chili or my Chicken Taco Soup! They’re both a celebration of tacos in a warm, hearty soup! See what I mean?? I need taco therapy!
Taco Meat Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 Cup Onion, Finely Chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander
- 1/2 Teaspoon Oregano
- 1/8 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Pound Ground Beef, 90/10
- 1/2 Cup Canned Tomato Sauce
- 2 Teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Brown Sugar, Packed
- 3 tablespoons water
- In a skillet, heat vegetable oil until it begins to shimmer. Stir in onions and saute until they're soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add chili powder, garlic, cumin, coriander, oregano, cayenne, and 1 teaspoon salt. Continue to cook until mixture becomes fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add ground beef, breaking up the meat, and continue to cook until there is no longer any pink left, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, and water. Simmer mixture until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning as needed.
Fans Also Made:
None foundRATE THIS RECIPE
Recipe Notes For Taco Meat Recipe:
More than just tacos- Taco Meat can be used for far more than just tacos! It’s perfect over chips as nachos or as the filling for beef enchiladas or burritos!
Chopping Onions- Some people like big chunks of onion in their taco meat and others prefer to not know they’re in there at all. Knowing how to chop an onion properly will help you control how finely chopped your final product is. With a little practice, you can have mad knife skills just like the TV chefs!
Blooming the Spices- We start with the aromatics and the spices to magnify their flavor and spread them evenly throughout the dish. Trust your nose to know when they’re done! As soon as they smell scrumptious, add in the meat!
Can You Make Taco Meat Recipe Ahead Of Time?
This easy Taco Meat recipe can absolutely be made ahead of time. It will hold well for several days in the fridge. My Taco Recipe is of those dishes that time only improves the flavors!
How Do You Freeze Taco Meat Recipe?
This recipe freezes beautifully, and it’s one of the reasons I think this is the best Taco Meat recipe out there! To freeze, just make as directed and allow to cool completely. Put in a freezer bag, label it, and pop it in the freezer! You can even consider freezing individual portions for a quick snack!
What Do You Serve With Taco Meat Recipe?
Now that you know how to make Taco Meat like Mexican Restaurants do, you can break out all the typical sides they serve with tacos. Think refried beans or Spanish rice. A green salad or guacamole are also good options. Of course, don’t forget about good ol’ chips, salsa, and queso!
More Yummy Taco Recipes…
- Taco Stuffed Shells
- Taco Pasta
- Cafe Rio Crock Pot Chicken Tacos
- Achiote Roasted Pork Tacos
- Steak Tacos
- Taco Soup
More Mexican Recipes…
- Mexican Chicken Soup
- Mexican Meatballs
- Mexican Spaghetti
- Mexican Pollo Asado
- Mexican Cream Cheese Crock Pot Chicken
Source: Adapted From America’s Test Kitchen