Take your next taco night…to Italy!? That’s right! This lasagna has layers of flavor and cheesy comfort to spare. This magical mash-up is oh-so-delicious and happens to merge two of my favorite meals into one tasty taco lasagna.
Layers of lasagna, taco style! You’re gonna need a fork for this taco. Perfectly seasoned ground beef, plenty of cheese, and all the best taco toppings make up the layers of this lasagna. It’s easy, cheesy, and makes dinner time delicious.
This is the easiest way to serve tacos to a crowd—no waiting for everyone to build their taco—just slice and serve. Even better, there is still room to make it your own by topping it with sour cream, guacamole, your favorite salsa, or all of the above!
This lasagna also freezes incredibly well, so no crowd is required. No broken shells, no tumbling toppings. Next time you’re craving tacos, make taco lasagna. You’re gonna love it.
Tacos can do anything! When your taco night needs a twist, try taco joes, Bisquick impossible taco pie, chicken taco soup, or super satisfying taco spaghetti.
What Is Taco Lasagna?
This is a layered Mexican-inspired casserole with lots of gooey cheese, beef, aromatics, great south-of-the-border spices, and the standard cheese used in Italian lasagna, ricotta.
The combination is outta this world delish!
Taco Lasagna Ingredients
- Corn Tortillas: Creates the layers in this taco lasagna. I’ve made this with no-boil pasta noodles and also, flour tortillas. I felt that both came out gummy. Corn tortillas work the best.
- Ground Beef: I use 80/20% for the best flavor. I’ve also used ground turkey. It’s good but not quite as flavorful as the beef.
- Onion: Use either a yellow or white onion.
- Taco Seasoning: I use a mild taco seasoning to keep this kid friendly.
- Oregano + Cumin + Chili Powder + Coriander: Even though we add taco seasoning, this lasagna needs more flavor. These spices deliver the necessary punch of flavor. This combo brings all the south-of-the-border flavors you’ll love.
- Water: Plain ol’ tap water.
- Salt + Black Pepper
- Ricotta: This Italian cheese is typically used in lasagna. It’s absolutely delicious in this Mexican version and compliments the flavors wonderfully.
- Egg: The egg adds body to the ricotta.
- Salsa: Again I use a mild to keep it kid friendly. I use the Pace brand.
- Tomato Sauce: Adds just the right amount of flavor and thins out the salsa.
- Cheese: I use Pepper Jack to add even more flavor. Depending on the brand you chose, it can be pretty spicy. If you want to keep the heat level down, use plain Monterey Jack cheese.
Storing + Freezing + Make-Ahead
- How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge? Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Can You Freeze This? This taco lasagna with tortillas is best served fresh. Freezing will make the tortillas too mushy.
- Make-Ahead Tips: You can assemble the casserole 24 hours ahead of time and store well wrapped in the fridge.
- Food Safety: If you’d like more info on food safety check out this link.
I like to serve this with Mexican rice, jalapeno cornbread, charro beans, and, or my KFC coleslaw!
How To Make Taco Lasagna
- Brown the beef and onions in a skillet.
- Add the seasonings, spices, and water.
- In a bowl, mix ricotta and egg.
- In another bowl, stir together salsa and tomato sauce.
- Pour the salsa mixture into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Layer tortilla over the salsa sauce.
- Pour 1/3 of the salsa over tortillas.
- Layer 1/3 of meat mixture.
- Layer 1/3 of the ricotta mixture.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat layers two more times.
See full instructions below.
More Delicious Taco Recipes
- 18 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 (1.25-ounce) packages taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (30-ounce) container ricotta
- 1 large egg
- 1 (16-ounce) container salsa
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 cups monterey jack or pepper jack cheese, shredded
- green onions
- tomatoes, chopped
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Spray a 9X13-inch baking dish lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef (2 pounds) and onion (1 cup) until there is no longer any pink in the meat and the onion is soft. Drain and discard excess grease. Stir in taco seasoning (2 packages), oregano (1 tablespoon), cumin (1 tablespoon), chili powder (2 teaspoons), coriander (1 teaspoon), salt (3/4 teaspoon), pepper (1/2 teaspoon), and water (1/2 cup). Simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together ricotta (1 container) and egg (1) until evenly combined.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together salsa (1 container) and tomato sauce (1 can). Pour 1/2 cup of the salsa tomato mixture into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Arrange a layer of tortilla lengthwise over salsa sauce.
- Pour 1/3 of the salsa over tortillas.
- Layer 1/3 of the meat mixture over the salsa
- Layer 1/3 of the ricotta mixture over the meat and spread with a rubber spatula.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the cheese evenly over ricotta. Repeat layers two more time.
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake 40 minutes, uncover and cook another 10-15 minutes until the cheese gets a little golden and the casserole is heated through and bubbly.
Fans Also Made:
My husband can’t stop eating this taco lasagna! He’s a picky eater!
So glad this is a hit with your hubby, Michelle!