Whether it’s biscuits for breakfast or a fried chicken dinner—sometimes nothing beats a creamy, diner-style white gravy. Easy to make and delicious any time of day—this is my favorite version.
Perfect for classic biscuits and gravy or take inspiration to dinner with easy crockpot chicken and gravy. Oh, My Gravy! My husband and I love to try local restaurants when we travel. We were in Beaufort, South Carolina when a quant little spot served up our favorite meal of the trip. A southern classic—fried chicken and the best white cream gravy I’ve had ever had.
Ohhh my goodness. When we got home I set about replicating the recipe. I knew the kids would love it. I was thrilled to discover that I only needed a handful of ingredients. It is so easy to make and even easier to love.
For breakfast poured over warm homemade biscuits, smothered over fried chicken, and mashed potatoes, or country fried steak for dinner—it’s been a family favorite ever since.
Let’s make some gravy!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Butter or Bacon Grease
- Tabasco Sauce
Storing + Freezing White Country Gravy
- How Long Can You Keep This In The Refrigerator? The leftovers can be refrigerated for 4 days.
- Can You Freeze This? Leftovers can last up to 3 months in the freezer.
- Pan Drippings: This recipe is written for those times when you don’t have any pan drippings. That said if you happen to have pan drippings just use 4 tablespoons of them instead of the butter or bacon grease. If you only have 1-2 tablespoons, just make up the difference with butter. Pan drippings are fabulous for creating flavor!
- Black Pepper Gravy: Simply add a generous amount of black pepper to taste and this recipe will become black pepper gravy.
How To Serve
This is delicious served over fried chicken, country fried steak, or of course, homemade Bisquick biscuits.
How to Make Homemade White Gravy
- Melt butter or bacon in the skillet. Sprinkle flour.
- Whisk into a paste.
- Add milk, Tabasco, salt, and pepper. Whisk and bring to a boil.
- Boil and whisk until you’ve reached the desired consistency.
See full instructions below.
If you make this delicious gravy, I’d really love it if you snapped a photo and tagged me on Instagram, @gonna_want_seconds, or please share this recipe on Pinterest, Facebook, or Yummly! I really appreciate your support, my friends, 🙋🏼♀️!
- 4 tablespoons butter or bacon grease
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Melt butter or bacon (4 tablespoons) fat in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle flour ( tablespoons), over melted butter and whisk into a paste. Cook paste, whisking constantly until the flour begins to get a little color, about 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly add in the milk (2 cups) and whisk until there are no lumps. Whisk in Tabasco (1/4 teaspoon), salt (1/2 teaspoon), and black pepper (1/4 teaspoon). Bring mixture to a boil, whisking constantly, and boil over medium heat for about a minute or until you've reached desired consistency.
Fans Also Made:
None foundRATE THIS RECIPE
On your phone? Check the web story here.