No collection of banana cake recipes is complete without a sensational banana chocolate chip cake. This banana chocolate chip cake with brown butter frosting is sweet and moist and everything that cake recipes should be.
Now I’ve had banana chocolate chip cookies before, but this cake is to die for. If you’re looking for a lighter plus one tag along for a summer celebration you may like a nifty banana cream pie or coconut banana cream pie. In the meantime, you’ve got to check this out!
- Moist & dense
How To Make Banana Chocolate Chip Cake Recipe
Whipping up this moist and sweet banana cake is a labor of love. All you have to do is line your cake pans, bake the cakes and mix up the icing while the cakes cool. Ice the cake, garnish, enjoy!
Sifting: As I’ve confessed at other times on my site, I’m a lazy baker. Sifting is a step that I sometimes skip. (Don’t judge friends!) In this recipe, however, I never skip sifting. This is a really moist, dense (in a fabulous way), cake so the sifting helps the cake not be overly heavy.
Line the Pan: This is one of those recipes that lining the pan is really important. The cake is heavy, by the nature of all the moisture in the bananas so it can easily get stuck in the pans when you try to turn them out.
Bananas: I use bananas that are mostly brown. The darker they are the sweeter and more flavorful your cake will end up!
Brown Butter: Have you made brown butter before? In French, it’s called beurre noisette. It’s humble butter elevated to amazing an amazing ingredient when gently simmered until golden brown. Oh, thank you, France!
So when you gently cook butter beyond melting, the solids will brown and create flavor bombs! While cooking the butter it will bubble and foam on the surface as moisture is evaporated. You will see the solids brown on the bottom of the skillet.
Let the brown butter cool before mixing up the frosting so it creates a nice, thick, spreadable texture.
Tools to Make
It really helps to have a stand mixer to make this banana cake, but a regular electric mixer will work too. You’ll also want to make sure you have some parchment paper on hand.
How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge?
Your moist yummy banana chocolate chip cake will stay fresh and tasty in the fridge for up to 5 days when stored properly. You’ll want to keep it in a cake saver and cover any cut ends with plastic wrap to prevent drying.
Can You Freeze This?
Yes!! This cake freezes for up to 3 months. I like to bake the cake and freeze it, then throw the icing together when I thaw the cake out. Just slow thaw it in the fridge overnight.
Make Ahead Tips
This cake is best after it sits in the fridge for a day or overnight. This gives all the lovely flavors time to really mingle and perk up. I like to plan to make this cake a couple of days before I want to serve it.
As with most banana cakes or carrot cakes, the flavor of this cake improves greatly as it sits in the fridge. When I plan ahead well, I like to make the cakes, refrigerate overnight. Make the frosting and refrigerate again, overnight, then serve the next day. Of course, you do not have to make this cake that far in advance, but time in the fridge is a wonderful thing with this cake.
This fantastic cake is a major crowd-pleaser. It’s always a huge hit at summer potlucks and I love to throw one together when the company is coming to town.
Here’s a couple of simple banana-rific variations for you to try.
- A few simple swaps can turn this into a delicious banana cake with cream cheese frosting if the brown butter is too rich for you.
- When you’re running short on time you can whip up a banana pudding cake instead.
Banana Chocolate Chip Cake With Brown Butter Frosting
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4-4 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-6 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of 2-9 inch cake pans with parchment paper and butter and flour, tapping out any excess flour
- Pour the chocolate chips in a mixing bowl. Remove 2 tablespoons of measured out 2 1/4 cups flour (do not add any extra flour) and toss with chocolate chips to coat.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt; set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the mashed bananas, vanilla extract, and buttermilk; set aside.
- Cream together sugar and butter in the bowl of a stand-up mixer until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating to combine, after each addition. Add the flour mixture alternatingly with the banana mixture in 3 additions beating after each addition just until combined. Pour batter into prepared cake pans.
- Bake cakes in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out with just a few moist crumbs. Cake tops will be golden brown on tops. Cool cakes on a wire rack for 15 minutes then turn out onto rack and cool completely.
- Heat the butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat until, stirring with a rubber spatula, until it's golden brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the powdered sugar to the bowl of a stand-up mixer. Add the browned butter and vanilla. Mix on low until incorporated.
- Mix in 3 tablespoons of cream. Add more cream as necessary to achieve desired consistency. Beat on medium speed unti light and creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Place cake on a plate and frost. Press mini chocolate chips onto sides of cake. Refrigerate cake overnight. Allow cake to come to room temperature and serve.
Fans Also Made:
None foundRATE THIS RECIPE
Finding more delicious banana cake recipes is easy if you know where to look. Here are a few.
- Banana Coffee Cake – The perfect companion to that piping hot cup of joe!
- Banana Split Cake – Simple, dreamy, and oh so delicious.
- Banana Poke Cake – A light and creamy banana cake recipe.
- Banana Pudding Poke Cake – Combines two of America’s favorite desserts.
- Banana Pound Cake – It’ll make you forget all about regular banana bread.
Banana chocolate chip cake with brown butter frosting is an addictingly delicious treat that really brings out the beauty of flavor. It’s moist, rich, and decadent beyond belief. This potluck approved crowd-pleaser is the perfect summer treat when you want to appease your inner chef and bring home an empty dessert plate….and believe me, they’re gonna’ want seconds!