Good cake recipes use common pantry ingredients and deliver outstanding flavor. Banana cake with cream cheese frosting definitely checks both those boxes! This is one of the best banana cake recipes with its intense banana flavor, tender texture, and sweet, tangy icing.
For more great banana desserts, I suggest my show-stopping banana pudding cake. It’s every bit as delicious as it sounds! Of course, bananas go great in more than just cake. Give coconut banana cream pie or banana cream pie a try for a creamy, dreamy slice of pie heaven!
Like a lot of fruit cake recipes, it’s super moist! Let’s head to the kitchen and get started!
This recipe has SO amazing many qualities! Here’s the top of my list!
- SO moist!
- Mega banana flavor
- Tangy cream cheese frosting
- Makes plenty to go around
How To Make Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
Begin by combining the mashed bananas and lemon juice. Set that aside and combine the dry ingredients. Next, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy and add the eggs and vanilla.
Stir in the buttermilk and dry ingredients. Mix in the bananas and pour it into the prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean. Immediately, put the cake in the freezer for at least 45 minutes.
Make the frosting by creaming the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla together. Add the powdered sugar and mix until it is smooth and spreadable. Ice the cake once it is completely cooled.
There’s nothing fancy about making this banana cake, but here are a couple of tips to make it even easier!
The freezer- I find that my Pyrex dish does just fine going from the oven to the freezer. However, if you’re concerned about your glass pan, I suggest using a metal pan. It’s a crucial step to lock in the moisture and arrest the cooking process of the cake.
Low and slow oven- It’s not a misprint! This cake needs to bake low and slow. Because of this, I find that baking times vary quite a bit. For me, an hour is enough, but it might take up to an hour and a half for some.
Buttermilk- Buttermilk brings acid and moisture to the mixture. If you don’t have any on hand, mix 1 tablespoon of acid (like lemon juice or vinegar) into a 1 cup of whole milk. Let it sit until it thickens.
Be sure to store this cake in a cool place in a well-sealed container to hold in the moisture. With the cream cheese icing, a fridge is a good option.
Can You Freeze This?
This cake freezes beautifully. Use good freezing techniques and wrap the cake well for freshest results. You can thaw the cake overnight in the fridge and frost it when you’re ready.
You can freeze the frosted version. I suggest freezing uncovered until the frosting is solid before wrapping it for long-term storage.
Make Ahead Tips
This cake holds really well for a couple of days. You can also freeze it for more advanced prep.
How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge?
According to food handling guidelines, this cake will last up to 7 days in the fridge and up to 3 months in the freezer.
Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups very ripe bananas mashed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Spray a 9X13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix mashed bananas with lemon juice and set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream together 3/4 cups butter and 2 1/4 cups sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time. Stir in vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk, starting and ending with the flour. Add the bananas and mix just until evenly distributed. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and place immediately into the freezer for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting; In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream together 1/2 cup butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add the vanilla and beat until combined. Turn the mixer on low and slowly add the powdered sugar. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat just until frosting is smooth. Do Not overbeat or frosting will become runny. Spread frosting over completely cooled cake.
Check out these fantastic fruit cake recipes!
- Cherry Coffee Cake – perfect for brunch
- Sara Lee Pound Cake – as if the iconic chef baked it herself
- Chocolate Cherry Cake – chocolaty, cherry deliciousness
- Pumpkin Crunch Cake – moist pumpkin cake with a bit of crunch
- Dundee Cake – traditional fruit cake straight from Scotland
- Banana Pound Cake – totally crave-worthy warm weather dessert with an ultra-yummy cream cheese glaze that really sets it off!
- Banana Coffee Cake – cake you’ll want from breakfast to dinner
This banana cake with cream cheese frosting has got it all! Moist, loads of banana flavor, and tangy, sweet frosting! Get ready to hand out the recipe because it’s gonna be requested!
I look forward to seeing your comments!