Our pineapple sunshine cake is a moist, delicious pineapple cake that’s super easy to make! Fruity, light, and refreshing it’s the perfect anytime dessert!!
Although sunshine is not one of the ingredients in this pineapple sunshine cake, it honestly might as well be. There are a wide variety of super yummy recipes for sunshine pineapple cake, but I like to jam mine with an unspeakable amount of fruit. I mean how else do you do you make a sunshine cake! If a sweet, moist and delicious pop of fruit loaded flavor is exactly what you’re looking for, then this recipe is for you! As with many crushed pineapple cake recipes, this is best when made ahead, which makes it a shoo-in for any dinner party. As my pineapple sunshine cake sits, moisture takes hold…and oh man is it tasty! Serving a crowd? Give one of my favorites pineapple cakes a go! A fantastically easy pineapple cake with a coconut twist, my Easy Pineapple Sheet Cake, is perfect for any summer luau!
What I Like Best About This Sunshine Cake Recipe:
- The fruity cake is light and fluffy.
- It’s bursting with pineapple.
- Its festive pattern makes me smile!
What is Pineapple Sunshine Cake?
An easy pineapple cake with cake mix, along with a few additional ingredients (don’t forget the love), pineapple sunshine cake is one of the easiest cakes you’ll ever make. It’s impossible to turn down a slice of this cake. Crushed pineapple and sweet cake batter are the star flavors in this fluffy treat, completed by a whipped topping and vanilla pudding mix with a light and subtle sugary topping. I do need to mention here, that pineapple sunshine cake with mandarin oranges makes for a delightful twist! You can add these to the cake as it currently exists (holy fruit!), or sub the oranges for pineapple all together! Or get creative with your fruit, dream up your own tropical fruit-filled dessert.
SAVE THIS PINEAPPLE SUNSHINE CAKE
TO YOUR CAKE OR DESSERT BOARD FOR LATER
LET’S BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES!
How do you make a Pineapple Sunshine Cake?
Pineapple sunshine cake is a cinch to make! Toss your ingredients together (be sure to use the juice of only ONE can of pineapple, as two are included in the batter), and mix with a hand mixer. Fold in the pineapple tidbits separately (after mixing) for a fruit flavored knockout! Bake, and wait until completely cool to frost. Cooling time is a great opportunity to whip up the frosting. Once cooled, you’ve got the green light to fully frost and garnish, if you wish, with pineapple and maraschino cherries. I sometimes like to throw a curveball and add a cup of shredded coconut to my frosting mixture! Mix it on in, and you’ve got yourself a Southern pineapple sunshine cake with coconut! Hello, easy pineapple cake with cake mix! I will note that you can absolutely make a sunshine cake recipe from scratch, but it’s so easy to use a mix it really isn’t all that necessary. I mean, I think I’m in good company if the Dole crushed pineapple cake recipe use a box of cake mix, don’t you? If you simply must start from the very beginning, Pineapple sunshine cake Pinterest searches will pull up an array of recipes that nix the box mix. Have it! If you’re really in the market for a fantastic, fresh and fruity cake from scratch, try my irresistible Lemon Buttermilk Sheet Cake. It defines the term “melts in your mouth”. So yum!
Step By Step: How to make Pineapple Sunshine Cake
1. Put drained crushed pineapple in cake mix in the bowl.
2. Pour one canned crushed pineapple with the juice.
3. Add eggs.
4. Add sugar.
5. Add vegetable oil.
6. Add vanilla.
7. Mix with a hand-held electric mixer.
Pineapple Sunshine Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 2 cans (8-ounces) crushed pineapple, juice from 1 can reserve for use in the cake, the second drained and discarded
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 can (15-ounces can) crushed pineapple, juice well drained
- 1 pack (3.5-ounce) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 (16-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2 cans (15-ounce can) pineapple tidbits drained
- maraschino cherries rinsed and drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9X13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the cake mix, canned crushed pineapple with the juice of ONE can, eggs, sugar, vegetable oil, and vanilla and mix with a hand-held electric mixer for 2 minutes.
- Pour the batter into prepared baking dish and bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Cool, the cake in the pan, set on a wire baking rack, until completely cooled.
- In a medium bowl combine the well-drained crushed pineapple and the pudding mix until the pineapple is evenly coated with the mix. Let mixture sit for 2 minutes
- Fold in the thawed whip topping until evenly combined. Spread frosting even over top of the cake and garnish, if desired, with well-drained pineapple tidbits and Maraschino cherries.
Recipe Notes for Pineapple Sunshine Cake:
Cake Mix: Be sure to treat the cake mix as an ingredient in the cake! No need to follow the instructions on the box. Pretend they don’t exist and trust in the recipe as is. Your cake will be amazing, I promise!
Coconut: You can fold shredded coconut into the frosting, as I’ve previously mentioned, or you can add it to the batter. Both ways are delicious, and add a ton of flavor to this cake!
Pineapple in the cake: Remember to leave the only one can of the pineapple AS IS when adding to the cake batter. You want to make sure the juice is mixed in. It adds a substantial amount of flavor. You’ll fold in another can of drained pineapple after, once your batter has been fully mixed, but before pouring into the pan. There are so many Dole crushed pineapple cake recipes- stay tuned to see lots more published here ♥
Pineapple in the frosting: When you mix up your frosting, DRAIN the pineapple tidbits very well. This will save your end result from becoming runny. Any garnishes, I suggest pineapple and maraschino cherries, should be drained well too!
Mandarin Oranges: If adding to the cake along with the pineapple, use half of each can and include the juice. If omitting the pineapple and using oranges only, use the entire can of mandarin oranges as well as the juice. Drained mandarin oranges also make a yummy garnish, even if not included in the cake. This cake tastes like an orange flavored cake with pineapple
Can Pineapple Sunshine Cake be made ahead?
It sure can! In fact, it’s better that way! Take a look at pineapple sunshine cake Facebook posts, and you’ll find that so many people make this dessert ahead of time! They have good reasoning for it, and so do I. When made ahead, this cake is so incredibly moist that you won’t even believe it. It’s easy to do. Simply follow the directions for the cake portion of the recipe. Pop it out of the pan to cool completely, and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. Whip up your frosting at any time, and it’s ready and waiting. You can freeze this sunshine cake as well!
More Pineapple Cakes:
With decadent layers of fruit & a golden cake topping, Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake is the perfect end to any meal – and it only takes 5 minutes to prepare!! The first dump cake my mom ever made and still my favorite. Our crowd-pleasing Pig Pickin Cake is an incredibly moist, delicious, refreshingly fruity delight. Super easy to make, it’s sure to become a new favorite! It’s similar to Pineapple sunshine Cake, only with a little more orange flavor than pineapple, I still consider it a Pineapple Cake!
More Easy 9X13 Inch Cakes:
- Strawberry Sheet Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Grandmas Fruit Cocktail Cake
- Quadruple Chocolate Poke Cake
Best To Serve With: