Decadent Chocolate Rum Pie departs from the classic pie via a splash of rum, a chocolate crumb crust, homemade whipped cream topped with a chocolate curls.
Looking for a rich, decadent chocolate dessert with a little something extra? A little twist on an amazing classic? Well, then this is the pie for you! Classic Chocolate Cream Pie enhanced with a generous splash of rum set in a yummy chocolate crumb crust and topped with a chocolate curls and just a bit of rum spiked homemade whipped cream………….I’m in! I’m in!!!
The rum flavor in this pie doesn’t overwhelm the chocolate at all. In fact, I think the rum flavor hits your taste buds at first then just settles back and all you taste is chocolate decadence. I think the whipped cream had a far more pronounced rum flavor. Now that can be a good thing or not so good thing depending on your own preferences. Honestly, I LOVED it and felt like it really made the pie a huge hit. It complements the more subtle rum flavor in the pie filling.
If you don’t care for the flavor of rum, I think you should definitely omit it from the whipped cream and substitute it with 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. If you don’t want to use rum at all, or if you happen to not have it on hand, you can omit it from the filling recipe as well and increase the vanilla to 1 Tablespoon.
Recipe Notes: When you’re cooking the filling, make sure you stir constantly. When the filling begins to thicken stir more vigorously and make sure to stir to the perimeter of your saucepan well. This recipe produces a lovely, fairly firm filling that slices beautifully. I refrigerated my pie 3 hours before slicing it and the individual pieces cut easily into wedge shapes and maintained that wedge better than most custard pieces I’ve tried.
More Decadent Desserts!
- Quadruple Chocolate Poke Cake -Tremendously moist, yummy chocolate decadence topped with a tad more chocolate!
- Chocoflan -a masterful union of fudgy chocolate cake and creamy vanilla custard.
- Tiramisu – Using butterfingers and a vanilla pastry made from scratch, definitely worth making!
More Desserts with Rum…
- Rum Balls – combine bourbon, rum, and honey to create an incredible flavor punch with every bite. They assemble in minutes & will disappear even faster!
Decadent Chocolate Rum Pie
Chocolate Crumb Crust:
- 1 3/4 Cup Chocolate Wafer Crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 7 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter Melted
Chocolate Rum Filling Layer:
- 2/3 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Pinch Salt
- 6 Large Egg Yolks
- 2 Cups Lowfat Milk
- 1/2 Cup Whipping Cream
- 6 Ounces Bittersweet Chocolate Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Dark Rum
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Whipping Cream Chilled
- 2 Tablespoons Powdered Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Dark Rum
- Chocolate Curls
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, thoroughly mix chocolate wafer crumbs, sugar, and melted butter. Evenly press crumb mixture into prepared pie plate. Bake crust for 8 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. In heavy-bottomed, medium saucepan adds the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, and salt and whisk until combined. Add the egg yolks and mix in until the mixture forms a thick paste. Gradually whisk in milk and then cream. Turn on the heat and over medium to medium-high heat whisk until the mixture comes to a boil. Cook at a boil 1 minute. Remove the pan from heat and stir in chocolate. Stir until chocolate melts completely and the mixture is smooth. Stir in Rum and vanilla. Cool 5 minutes then pour into prepared crust. Refrigerate at least to an hour or preferably overnight.
- Make topping when the pie has been refrigerated and is ready to serve. Beat whipping cream, powdered sugar, and rum in a large bowl until firm peaks form. Spoon into a 1-quart ziplock or pastry bag fitted with a decorative tip. Pipe stars or rosettes around the edge and in center of pie then add the chocolate curls. Serve.
Fans Also Made: