Everyone needs a really great Chocolate Cream Pie recipe!
It’s a classic that everyone seems to always love.
It’s the perfect finally to just about any meal………because it goes with just about any type of food.
It’s so familiar and comforting it feels like a hug from Grandma in a slice of pie!!!
Rich chocolaty flavor, creamy smooth texture, and oodles of pillowy whipped cream topping!
Of course, it’s a beloved classic.
This is my “go-to” absolute favorite recipe.
It’s the one I’ve made more often than I can remember.
The one my family and friends not only request, but expect, whenever I make Chocolate Cream Pie.
The recipe everyone LOVES………
I searched and search then I searched a whole lot more………….all to no avail.
I couldn’t find is anywhere!
So, I decided to go to the library and check it out so I could photo copy this recipe.
They didn’t have this book!
So, finally, I broke down and bought another copy of the cookbook.
I’m so, so, so happy I did.
In the interim, I tried another recipe from Epicurious and frankly, it just wasn’t nearly as good.
As soon as I got my new copy I made this chocolate pie!
My favorite chocolate pie of all time!
This recipe makes a chocolate crumb crust.
If you prefer a rolled crust, feel free to use your favorite recipe.
It would be delicious with either crust!
When cooking the chocolate custard, make sure you stir constantly until it thickens.
Remember this pie needs to cool for 4-6 hours after the filling is made and poured into the crust.
Also, I used a veggie peeler to make some decorative shavings for the pie.
This is how my Grandma taught me to decorate any chocolate dessert.
Hers always looked significantly better than mine ever does, more like curls than shavings, …….but……….I try!
Source: Diner Desserts by Tish Boyle
Chocolate Cream Pie
Chocolate Crumb Crust:
- 1 3/4 Cups Chocolate Wafer Crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 7 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter Melted
Chocolate Pudding Layer:
- 3 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon Unsweetened Cocoa Powder Non-Alkalized
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Half and Half
- 1 1/4 Cup Whole Milk
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 4 Ounces Unsweetened Chocolate Chopped
- 2 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 2 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Chocolate Curls or Shavings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, thoroughly mix chocolate wafer crumbs, sugar, and melted butter. Evenly press crumb mixture into prepared pie plate. Bake crust for 8 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, whisk together cornstarch, cocoa powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of the half and half and mix to a smooth paste consistency. Whisk in remaining half and half and set aside.
- Mix milk, sugar, and chocolate in a heavy bottom, medium saucepan. Over medium heat, stirring constantly, melt the chocolate completely. Remove pan from heat and mix about 1/2 cup of the melted chocolate mixture into the half and half mixture. Add this mixture to the remaining chocolate mixture in the saucepan. Return the saucepan to the cooktop and, over medium heat, cook mixture stirring constantly. Bring to a boil. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Take the pan off the cooktop and add butter and vanilla and stir until smooth. Pour into cooled pie crust. Cover and refrigerate until completely chilled; about 6 hours.
- When the pie is completely chilled make whipped cream; in a medium bowl, using an electric mixer beat cream, sugar, and vanilla until soft peaks form. Spread whipped cream decoratively over pie. Top with chocolate curls or shavings. Serve immediately.
Looking For More Vintage Inspired Pie Recipes:
Million Dollar Pie – This creamy, no bake, Million Dollar Pie is the easiest pie ever to make. Its luscious tropical filling is utterly delicious. An ideal dessert for summer!
Peanut Butter Pie – A luscious, creamy peanut butter filling nestled on top of a rich, unique peanut butter ganache, it’s peanut butter heaven!
Pumpkin Pie Lasagna -Rich, creamy, no-bake dessert will become the next staple for any season!
Strawberry Pie -Easy fresh Strawberry Pie loaded with thick, delicious, Jello glaze intensifying the yummy strawberry flavor!