This green chile mac and cheese is so outrageously delicious, it will knock your socks off! It’s crazy creamy, cheesy, and flavored with canned diced green chiles. The chiles are loaded with flavor but not too spicy. You can use regular diced green chiles or if you like things spicier, try Hatch green chiles.
This mac and cheese has a super-rich cheese sauce and is loaded with 3 different types of chiles. Paired with tender, good-quality Italian pasta, and green chiles you’ve got a dream-come-true recipe that you will make on repeat! The photos simply don’t do the super creaminess of this dish justice!
I hope you’ll try more of my yummy mac and cheese recipes next. I promise you’ll love these creamy dreamy recipes!! My copycat chick fil a mac and cheese, creamy crockpot mac and cheese, quick and easy stovetop mac and cheese, and Smoked gouda mac and cheese.
Green Chile Mac And Cheese Ingredients
- Butter: Melted
- Homemade Coarse Dried Bread Crumbs: See instructions below on how to make them. I don’t like the dried bread crumbs from the market because they’re too fine. If you’d like, you can use Panko bread crumbs instead
- Parmesan Cheese: Either grate your own from a wedge of Parm or buy it from the deli counter. Don’t use the stuff in the green jar!
- Elbow Pasta: You can use any small-shaped pasta. Use quality pasta like Barilla.
- Butter: Salted or unsalted will work.
- Flour: This will blend with the butter to make a roux that will thicken the cheese sauce.
- Salt + Black Pepper:
- Dry Mustard: This will add a tangy sharpness that enhances the flavor of all the cheeses.
- Milk: Make sure to use room temperature to ensure a smooth sauce. I use whole milk for its richness.
- Half-And-Half: Just like the milk, this should be at room temperature.
- Tabasco Sauce: Use any hot sauce you like.
- Cheddar Cheese: The perfect cheese to flavor a classic mac and cheese. The sharp variety adds a more pronounced cheddar flavor than a medium or mild cheddar will.
- Pepper Jack: Melts creamy and smooth and adds tons of flavor.
- Mozzarella Cheese: Adds another flavor profile and lots of gooeyness!
- Green Chiles: These peppers are milder than jalapenos.
Storing + Freezing + Make-ahead
- How Long Does This Last In The Fridge? This will last 3-4 days in the fridge.
- Can You Freeze This? Since this recipe has so much dairy in it, I don’t like to freeze it.
- Make-Ahead Tips: You can cook the pasta, prepare the cheese sauce, and store it separately in the fridge. Combine the two then pour it into a prepared baking dish right before baking.
- Food Safety: Follow the FDA’s advice to observe the 2-hour rule for serving, just to be on the safe side. If you’d like more info on food safety check out this link.
How To Make Homemade Coarse Bread Crumbs
I toast a few pieces (depending on the size of slices) of white sandwich bread or sourdough then tear them up into about 1-inch pieces, then process them in the food processor until they form large crumbs. Generally, 2 cups are about 2 1/2 larger slices of sourdough.
What To Serve With Green Chile Mac And Cheese
I like to serve this with my garlic bread or copycat Olive Garden breadsticks! Roasted broccoli also makes a great accompaniment as well, and even the kids’ love broccoli cooked like this! A simple green salad dressed with my super easy balsamic vinaigrette, or Mediterranean salad.
How To Make Green Chile Mac And Cheese
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour, salt, pepper, and mustard powder.
- Remove pan from the heat and whisk in milk until smooth. Stir in Tabasco. Place it back and bring it to a boil. Stir constantly.
- Turn the heat down and add cheese and chiles. Stir until smooth.
- Combined cooked pasta and cheese sauce.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish and top with toasted breadcrumbs.
- Bake and serve.
****See full instructions below.
More Cheesy Pasta Recipes You’ll Love
- Million Dollar Spaghetti
- Five Cheese Ziti Al Forno
- Stuffed Shells
- Baked Ziti With Ricotta
Green Chile Mac And Cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups homemade coarse dried bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 5 cups whole milk, plus more to thin sauce as needed
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon tabasco sauce
- 2 cups sharp cheddar, shredded
- 2 cups pepper Jack, shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1 (7-ounce) can diced green chiles, drained
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Butter a 9X13 inch baking dish; set aside.
- Place bread crumbs (2 cups), Parmesan cheese (1/4 cup), and dried thyme leaves (1/2 teaspoon) in a medium bowl. Melt 2 tablespoons butter. Pour the butter (1/2 cup) into the bowl with the bread mixture, and toss; set breadcrumbs aside.
- In a large pot, cook the pasta (16 ounces) in well-salted water according to package instructions.
- While the pasta cooks, make the sauce. Melt butter in a large saucepan. Whisk in the flour (1/2 cup), salt (1 1/2 teaspoon), pepper (1/2 teaspoon), and mustard powder (1 1/2 teaspoons), and cook for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and slowly whisk in milk (5 cups) and half and half (1 cup) until smooth. Stir in Tabasco (1/2 teaspoon). Place back on the heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Turn the heat down to low and add the cheese (2 cups sharp cheddar + 2 cups pepper Jack + 1 cup mozzarella) and chiles (1 can), then stir until smooth.
- When pasta is cooked, drain well and return to the pasta pot. Pour cheese sauce over pasta and toss to evenly coat. Pour into prepared baking dish and top with toasted breadcrumbs
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes to heat through and toast bread crumbs. Top with fresh parsley (2 tablespoons). Serve.
My grown up kids love this! They love green chiles and are obsessed with mac and cheese. This is the perfect meal for them. Thank you!
Thanks, Stephanie! My kids are crazy for this, too!
I’m currently learning to cook and I love your recipes, which taught me how to make this green chile mac and cheese.
Thank you! It sounds different, right? 🙂
I am a vegetarian and this recipe is great!