Paula Deen mac and cheese is everything a good mac and cheese recipe ought to be. Of all the pasta recipes in the world, I think the most universal is mac and cheese. Who doesn’t love a bowl of tender pasta, cheesy, heaven-on-a-plate macaroni and cheese? No one does it better than the queen of southern cookin’ Paula Deen.
This recipe is super cheesy, and rich, and makes a generous 9X13 inch pan. She makes an amazing custard-style dish rather than a creamy-style mac and cheese. It sets firmer and travels much better. Perfect for your next potluck, holiday table, or Sunday supper!
If you’re a mac and cheese lover like me, try more of my fan-favorite mac and cheese recipes next! My baked mac and cheese is a creamy classic and makes a generous 9X13-inch baking dish.
My green chile mac and cheese has an amazing chile flavor without being too spicy. My smoked gouda mac and cheese is chef-approved and unbelievably luscious. My chick fil a mac and cheese is a huge family favorite and the kids can’t get enough of it!
So let’s make this!
What I Love About This Recipe
This Paula Deen ultimate mac and cheese is everything you’d expect from this esteemed chef. Here is my shortlist of favorite things:
- Loads of cheese
- The 3 cheese blend brings tons of flavor
- Makes plenty to feed the whole family
Paula Deen Mac and Cheese Casserole Ingredients + Notes
- Pasta: Make sure that you don’t over-boil your pasta. Al dente, or even just a little less, is all the further you want it to cook. Overcooked pasta becomes mush on the long trip through the oven or slow cooker!
- Cooking pasta: Use proper pasta cooking techniques. Use a large pot with plenty of well-salted water.
- The cheese: I love the blend of American, cheddar, and cream cheese to create the mac and cheese sauce. However, you can experiment with all kinds of different cheese. A few things to consider is how they melt and how the taste compliments the other cheeses.
- Cream cheese: Making this mac and cheese with cream cheese helps thicken the sauce without flour. If you want a little different flavor, you can try sour cream, creme fraiche, or mascarpone cheese. These bring a bit of tang and will make a unique homemade mac and cheese sauce!
Storing + Freezing + Make-Ahead
Mac and Cheese stores best in a well-sealed container or even a plastic resealable bag. Be sure to allow it to cool before covering.
- How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge? According to FDA recommendations, a cream-based dish like Paula Deen mac and cheese with sour cream will keep up to 3-4 days in the fridge.
- Can You Freeze This? On the slim chance you have leftovers or if you’re doing make-ahead meal prep, make sure you completely cool your mac and cheese before putting it in well-sealed freezer containers.
- Make-Ahead Tips: To prep ahead of time, assemble everything up to the bake point. Allow everything to cool and then store it in the fridge. It will hold for a day or two.
- Food Safety: If you’d like more info on food safety check out this link.
- How Other Famous Celebrities Make Their Mac and Cheese? Paula isn’t alone in her quest for the perfect macaroni and cheese. Ree Drummond’s Pioneer Woman Mac And Cheese uses dry mustard to increase the depth of flavor, and Rachael Ray’s macaroni and cheese incorporates nutmeg, which is actually a traditional ingredient in this iconic dish!
- What Other Ways Can I Cook This Recipe? You can make a super creamy version with my crockpot mac and cheese recipe. You can also make stovetop mac and cheese with this recipe.
- Can I Add Veggies? Whenever you’re adding veggies, you must consider moisture. It’s best to precook veggies to decrease their moisture before incorporating them into your dish.
Craving More Delicious Recipes?
I hope you’ll join our cooking family! Subscribe to Gonna Want Seconds and receive all our latest recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Absolutely free to you and we never share your email address.
Tried This Recipe?
Leave a review, I love hearing your feedback! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
More Mac and Cheese Recipes
- Five Cheese Ziti Al Forno
- Chili Mac
- Taco Mac And Cheese
- Popeyes Mac And Cheese
- Cracker Barrel Mac And Cheese
- Almost Zov’s Mac And Cheese
Paula Deen Mac and Cheese
- 2 cups elbow macaroni uncooked
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup half and half
- 4 large eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- black pepper
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces American cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (177ºC). Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Cook pasta (2 cups) in well-salted water, according to the package instructions, just until al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl stir together all the rest of the ingredients, except the cheeses.
- Drain the pasta. Return drained pasta immediately to the pot it was just cooked in. Fold in the cheddar (8 ounces), American cheese (8 ounces), and cream cheese (4 ounces) until evenly combined.
- Pour the pasta and cheese mixture into the prepared 9x13-inch baking dish. Pour the whisked ingredients evenly over the pasta.
- Bake in the preheated oven until bubbly, 40-45 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes prior to serving.
Fans Also Made: