Oh, WOW! These are such a festive and delicious Christmas cookie! The cookie component of this recipe is tender and delicate. The peppermint-flavored kiss has just the right amount of peppermint.
I have to tell you, I’m not a huge peppermint fan. I don’t usually go for candy like a York peppermint patty when I’m having a candy craving. Peppermint is a nice flavor but I like a moderate amount of it. Well, this cookie, in my book, is INCREDIBLE! I was really taken by the tenderness of the cookie and the flavor was lovely and delicious and perfectly, Peppermint!!!
Peppermint Candy Cane Kiss Cookies
- 1 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 1/4 Cup Regular Butter Softened
- 1 Teaspoon Peppermint Extract
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Large Egg
- 3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup Candy Cane Flavored Hersey's Kisses Finely Chopped
- Extra Sugar For Rolling Cookies In
- About 30 Unwrapped Candy Cane Flavored Hersey's Kisses
Preheat oven to 350°F. Make room in either refrigerator or freezer for your cookie sheet.
In large mixer bowl, combine powdered sugar, butter, extracts, and egg. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often until creamy (2-3 minutes). In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to wet mixture and beat, scraping bowl often until well blended (1-2 minutes). The mixture will be a bit crumbly. Stir in chopped Kisses.
Shape dough into 3/4-inch to 1-inch balls; roll in granulated sugar. Place 1-inch apart on cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until set. As soon as they come out of the oven, press a Candy Cane Kiss in the center of each cookie. They'll crack a little around the edges, so just use your fingers to kind of hold the cookie together while you set the kiss inside. Put cookie sheet (with cookies) immediately into the freezer (preferred) or refrigerator so that the Kisses will set quickly. As soon as you press them into the cookie, they will begin to soften... so if you can get them into the freezer then they will keep their Kiss shape and not turn into Kiss puddles.
Store in an airtight tin for up to a week or freeze in Ziplocks for up to a month.
©GonnaWantSeconds.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Nutrition information will vary based on the specific products. To be safe, check the nutrition facts labels of your products. Optional object listed above have been left out of nutritional data.
Recipe Notes For Peppermint Candy Cane Kiss Cookies:
- The peppermint oil is no way overpowering. 1 teaspoon is the perfect amount-don’t change a thing! I found mine at Trader Joe’s.
- So, when I read this recipe I noticed it said to put the cookies in the freezer after they’re baked to set the Kisses. I thought, yeah right! I’ve made their cousins, Peanut Butter Blossoms, maybe a hundred times and I’ve never had to do that. Well, Hello, note to self, the chocolate kisses vs. the peppermint kiss respond very differently to heat. who knew! Needless to say, since I totally ignored the instructions, because I thought I knew better, my first batch was a total flop because the kisses flattened out thinner than a pancake. FYI-just make room in your freezer. The directions are perfectly written.
- I got my kisses at Target but have subsequently seen them at my regular grocery store.
- You can freeze these for up to a month. Mine lasted about a week. They were picked off 1-2 at a time. I have to now make more for Christmas.
More Christmas Treats!
Italian Christmas Cookies -Moist, cake-like texture that fills any room with an unbeatable aroma!
Soft Batch Christmas M&M cookies – Soft, chewy, fluffy cookies sure to be a favorite in any holiday event!
Yugoslavian Christmas Cookies – Crunchy nut and meringue topping over the berry shortbread crust an absolutely divine combination!
Candy Cane Cookies -Peppermint or almond flavored sugar cookie dough, twisted into these charming cookies
Lebkuchen – Lebkuchen cookies are Wunderbar! Warm gingerbread spices meet soft cakey dough and delicate frosting. A German gem that’ll make your holiday party special