Summer means seafood, and nothing celebrates seafood like my shrimp spread recipe! This dish is perfect when you’re looking for a shrimp recipe to make as an easy and delicious appetizer. No need to turn on the oven and you have all the fresh flavors of seafood in an easy spread. This recipe uses only 6 ingredients that are spread on a sliced baguette. It’s perfect for warm weather, easy entertaining!
This recipe comes to me from my dear friends Craig and Kelley. They are huge foodies and I post a lot of their recipes. When you come across any of their recipes on my site, I encourage you to try them! They’re always amazing!!
Think of this shrimp spread recipe as a play on my creamy ham salad and my shrimp dip! Take some of the flavors of my creamy shrimp enchiladas and my curried shrimp in crispy wonton cups, and you’ve got a flavor symphony just waiting to be savored. Perfect for spring and summer!
Let’s make this!
What I Love About This Recipe
- Juicy, plump itty-bitty shrimp!
- Light but creamy sauce.
- It’s the perfect hot weather appetizer!
- Who can say no to seafood?
How To Make Shrimp Spread
- Start by mixing all of the ingredients except the bread in a bowl.
- Let it sit in the fridge for at least an hour (if you can resist!) so the flavors can get all acquainted.
- When an hour has passed, dive in! Spread about two tablespoons on a toasted piece of baguette and enjoy.
Shrimp Spread Ingredients
- Shrimp: Let’s start with the star: shrimp! For this recipe, you’ll be using those tiny baby pre-cooked shrimp — and sometimes, when I’m in a time pinch, I just grab the canned stuff!
- Mayo: Do not, I repeat, do not substitute Miracle Whip for the mayo in this recipe! Miracle Whip brings a whole extra level of sweetness to dishes that you don’t want in this salad. Go for the traditional mayo! On the west coast I use Best Foods, if you can get Dukes, go for it!!!
- Bread: Bruschetta? Crostini? What’s going on? You can either use untoasted, soft slices of the baguette or if you prefer, you can slice them and toast them to create crostini. This is also great spread on Ritz crackers or Club crackers or frankly, any cracker you like!
Storing + Freezing + Make-Ahead
- How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge? Ah, the ever-popular question of how best to store seafood! It’s always a good idea to pop this dish in the fridge as soon as you can. No lengthy room temp parties for this salad! When you store your salad in the fridge, make sure it’s in a good airtight container so your fridge doesn’t smell fishy. You’ll get up to four days out of your leftovers!
- Can You Freeze This? Unfortunately, no. The mayo mixed with the citrus is a recipe for a funky gloopy texture in the freezer, so fridge only for your shrimp salad!
- Make-Ahead Tips: This recipe loves to be made ahead! As I said above, it tastes best if it sits for at least an hour before serving — so feel free to make it up to a day ahead of time! It’ll only get more delicious.
- Food Safety: The FDA-recommended 2-hour serving rule.
Serve this shrimp salad with more yummy appetizers. Try this along side with my family favorite Southern pimento cheese, fan fav Bisquick Sausage Balls, Knorr spinach dip, or incredibly cheesy million dollar dip!
More Favorite Dips + Spreads
- 1 1/2 pounds bay shrimp rinsed well and patted dry
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- lemon juice from 1/2 a lemon
- crostini made from about 1 fresh baguette
- Mix all ingredients except crostini in a mixing bowl. Let sit in the refrigerator for about an hour to allow flavors to marry (okay...this seldom happens cuz as soon as it's mixed we're devouring it!)
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of salad on crostini.
4 please! So yummy
Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen says
I'm with Cathy. A couple of these and my dinner is done. I'm a big shrimp lover and always, always in the mood for new ideas for shrimp.
Cathy at Wives with Knives says
A couple of these and a salad are my idea of a perfect summer meal. Love the shrimip topper.
What a great appetizer idea! Love your presentation and photos. Thanks!
[email protected] says
That looks yummy…..I'd like to invite you to share this wonderful recipe at CountryMommaCooks link party going on now and enter our giveaway……….have a great weekend : )
Kitchen Belleicious says
i love seafood- as you can tell on my site- and yet i have never done a seafood salad recipe like this one. love that you used shrimp and put it on small toast. I am definitely going to be trying this soon
I LOVE shrimp, in any form. This would be a huge hit at my house!
Dining Alone says
Sometimes simple is exactly what people are craving! They look cool and refreshing.
Rocky Mountain Woman says
I love simple ideas like this in summer! I'll give them a whirl…
Denise @ Creative Kitchen says
I love shrimp salad!! These sound like a hit!