Are you looking for a super delicious, cold, and creamy dip? This one is perfect any time of the year, but is it, especially at summer pool parties? You have to try my sour cream and onion dip which is loaded with unbelievable.
If you grew up on French onion dip in the 70s, You won’t even recognize this easy-to-make homemade dip!
The name of this dip may sound like the 70’s soup mix favorite but you won’t believe how much better this homemade version!
Our version is straightforward and simple to make and absolutely worth the extra effort it takes to put it together.
Homemade Sour Cream And Onion Dip Ingredients
- Oil: I use olive oil in this recipe. You can use any neutral-flavored vegetable oil.
- Onion: I like yellow onions for this recipe.
- Sugar: Just a bit of granulated sugar to help caramelize the onions.
- Soy Sauce: Soy sauce is the secret ingredient to adding a lot of deep flavors. Its savory and salty flavors balance the sweetness of the caramelized onions.
- Garlic Powder + Onion Powder: These both add a gentle garlic and onion flavor.
- Sour Cream: I like full-fat sour cream in this dip. If you want to reduce the fat in this recipe, use plain Greek yogurt.
- Mayonnaise: Use either Best Foods or Dukes, depending on where you live in the country.
- Chives: Adds more mellow onion flavor and a beautiful pop of color.
Storing + Freezing + Make-Ahead
- How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge? Leftovers should be immediately refrigerated. Store it for 3-4 days.
- Can You Freeze This? No, this dip is made with dairy and it doesn’t freeze well.
- Make-Ahead Tips: This can be made hours before, this is best to serve chilled.
- This can be made ahead of a day or two and put in the fridge immediately after assembly.
- Food Safety: If you’d like more info on food safety check out this link. Disregard if there are changes in smell, texture, and appearance.
How To Make Sour Cream And Onion Dip Recipe
- Saute onions and sugar and let it caramelize
- Stir in soy sauce and seasonings. Cool completely.
- Mix together sour cream, mayo, chives, and caramelized onions
***See the full instructions below
More Delicious Dip Recipes
- Jalapeño Popper Dip
- Crack Dip
- Cowboy Queso
- Crab Rangoon
- White Queso
- Rotel Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
Craving more delicious recipes? I hope you’ll join our cooking family! Subscribe to Gonna Want Seconds and receive all our latest recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Absolutely free to you and we never share your email address.
Sour Cream And Onion Dip
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups yellow onion, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 cups sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil (2 tablespoons). When oil shimmers, add onions (2 cups) and sugar (1/2 teaspoon). Sauté over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in soy sauce (2 teaspoons), black pepper (1/4 teaspoon), garlic powder (1/4 teaspoon), and onion powder (1/4 teaspoon). Cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, stir together sour cream (3/4 cups), mayonnaise (3/4 cups), chives (2 tablespoons), and cooled caramelized onion.
Fans Also Made:
On your phone? Check the web story here.