It’s funny, but that name really doesn’t describe this dish at all!
Spaghetti pie is so plain and boring compared to this amazing dish!
This dish really should be called,”Out Of This World, Delicious Parmesan Garlic Angel Hair Pasta with Homemade Meat Sauce and Lasagna Topping!”
Do you think maybe that name was taken or something so they decided to just call this Spaghetti Pie?
I really don’t know about its name but what I do know is this is crazy delicious and my whole family LOVES it!
This meal is one of our all-time family favorites.
It’s definitely doable for a weeknight meal, but it’s sooo yummy it seems like it should be served for special occasions!
It has all the wonderful classic Italian flavors we all love and crave served up in a simple slice of pie!
How perfect is that!
Whenever this is on the table for dinner you can bet there is a table full of happy faces just waiting to get their first bite of this amazing pie.
We all get into great debates over which layer is the best.
I happen to like the Parmesan, garlic angel hair pasta layer.
Hubby tends to vote for the meat sauce and the kids unanimously like the cheesy-ness of the pie!
This recipe is pretty straightforward.
Make sure you use a deep dish pie plate to accommodate all the wonderful layers of this recipe.
The cheese mixture has a pinch of nutmeg in it just like a lot of lasagna recipes do.
Some people don’t care for this, if you’re in that camp, just omit it all together.
Source: Cook’s Country
More Recipes Like This!
Impossible Cheeseburger Pie ~ You won’t believe how quickly this delicious, hearty pie comes together. Oh, and no need to hassle with making a crust for this recipe.
Million Dollar Spaghetti ~ This Spaghetti Casserole is super easy to put together and has a center layer of creamy, gooey cheese. This is one of my favorite ways to serve spaghetti and people just can’t get enough of it!
Beefaroni ~ Easy Homemade Beefaroni is perfect for the simplified flavor palates of kids. So much better than anything from a can! Quick and Easy–Ready in less than 30 minutes!
Bisquick Chicken Pot Pie –With its flaky golden crust, hot creamy insides, and tender bites of chicken, Bisquick Chicken Pot Pie will bring a smile to every face at the table.
- 4 Ounces Dry Vermicelli Broken Into 2 Pieces
- 1 Clove Garlic Minced
- 2 Tablespoons Butter At Room Temperature
- 1 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Large Egg Beaten
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/8 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 Teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1 Small Onion Finely Chopped
- 1/2 Pound Lean Ground Beef
- 1- 15 Ounce Can Tomato Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Oregano- DIVIDED
- 3/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Cup Whole Milk Ricotta
- 1 Large Egg
- Pinch Nutmeg
- 1 1/2 Cups Whole Milk Mozzarella Shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a deep dish 10-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook the pasta per the package instructions just until its al dente.
- As the pasta cooks, start the sauce by heating a 12 inch nonstick skillet with the olive oil over medium-high heat until oil shimmers. Add onion and cook for 3-5 minutes or until the onions are soft. Add the beef to the onions and continue to cook until the beef is cooked through and there is no longer any pink. Drain off any excess fat from the skillet. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper, to the skillet and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- When pasta is cooked to al dente, drain well in a colander but Do Not Rinse. Return drained pasta to the pot and add garlic, butter, Parmesan, egg, basil, 1 Teaspoon oregano and pepper and mix to combine. Press pasta mixture with a spatula into prepared pie plate. Bake in preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes or until pasta is set. Allow cooling while you mix together the ricotta mixture.
- As the pasta crust cools and the meat sauce simmers, stir the ricotta, egg, 1/2 Teaspoon oregano and pinch of nutmeg together in a small bowl. Spread the ricotta mixture over the slightly cooled pasta crust then pours an even layer of the meat sauce on top. Sprinkle top with cheese and bake. Bake in the oven until heat through and the top is golden and sauce is bubbly about 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit for about 15 minutes then cut and serve.