Stuffed Peppers just like Mom made. Easy dinner time comfort food that will bring everyone to the dinner table! Tender peppers with a homey tasty filling!!
I love this recipe! It makes a simple, fairly healthy, comfort food dinner that brings a smile to my face as I pull it out of the oven. It reminds me of something my mom would have made for the family on an evening when there was still a chill in the air. Usually, for me, comfort food and fairly health don’t go together in the same sentence!
The comfort food I generally crave has lots of fat and white carbs. Well, this dish happily doesn’t have either. The original recipe is from, none other than the amazing, Emeril. I’ve changed it very little making a minor adjustment to add a bit more nutrition and less fat. I have added more salt and pepper. I think when you’re making simple dishes like this the salt and pepper ratio is more important than ever. I remember when I was first married; I had dinner with one of my mothers in law dear friends. Her name was Gloria and she was a legendary cook. She told me that if you don’t get the salt and pepper right in a dish, it’s never going to taste great. Frankly, I think she was right on the money. Luckily, no one in my fam has a health issue with salt so I’m pretty liberal with it. Any time I’m seasoning a dish and the flavor isn’t quite singing, I add a little more salt. When it’s right, I start hearing a lovely song coming right out of my food!
- 6- (2 Each) Red, Yellow, and Orange Bell Peppers Tops Cut Away and Seeds and Stems Removed
- 1-2 Teaspoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 Cup Yellow Onion Chopped
- 1 Cup Green Bell Pepper Finely Chopped
- 1/2 Pound Ground Beef
- 1/2 Pound Ground Pork
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Garlic Minced
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley Finely Chopped
- 2-3 Teaspoons Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Cups Cooked Brown Rice Cooked
- 8 Ounce Tomato Sauce
- Pinch White Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large pot of boiling water, parboil the peppers until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and dry on paper towels.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. When the oil begins to shimmer, add the onions and chopped bell peppers and cook, stirring until soft, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the beef, pork, garlic, parsley, salt, black pepper, and pepper flakes. Cook until the meat is browned, stirring with a heavy wooden spoon to break up the lumps, about 6 minutes.
- Add the rice, tomato sauce, and pinch of sugar and stir well. Remove from the heat and adjust the seasoning, to taste.
- Pour enough water into a baking dish to just cover the bottom, about 1/8-inch deep. Stuff the bell peppers with the rice mixture and place in the baking dish. Bake until the peppers are very tender and the filling is heated through 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
More Stuffed Pepper Recipes…
- Italian Stuffed Peppers- have a meaty stuffing bursting with classic Italian flavors, marinara sauce, and cheese all packaged up in a sweet bell pepper!
Source: From Emeril Lagasse