Our hobo dinner is a perfect summer meal made over the campfire but gets even better as the nights become cooler. Potatoes, onions, carrots, and beef come together with a creamy sauce to create a wonderful comfort food dinner.
There is a slight chance that when you cheerily tell your wine-toting dinner guests that you’re making an authentic hobo dinner, they may look for the door. When you usher them into the dining room and tell them to have a seat because the best hobo dinner ever is almost ready, they may panic. Unfortunately for them, they’ve already committed.
Fortunately for you, they’ll love this meal from bite one. Truly delicious and worthy of your fanciest dinner guest, hobo meal is delicious. It’s a crowd pleaser, and trust me when I say your once fearful guests will be asking for thirds.
WHAT I LOVE ABOUT THIS RECIPE:
- Super Easy to Put Together
- No Plates To Clean!
- It Brings The “Fun Factor” To A Simple Dinner 🙂
- It’s Really Yummy!
What Is Hobo Dinner?
A true meat and potatoes meal, hobo dinner is a mashup of sweet and spicy beef and veggies nestled in cream of mushroom soup and tucked away into foil packets. Easy to put together, flavors from brown sugar to chili powder explode in every bite. Often referred to as hobo packets or sausage hobo dinner, this yummy meal gives each person at your table an individual packet filled with meat, vegetables, and love. There are many recipes out there that call for hobo dinner with cabbage, but I prefer to leave it out. Hobo dinner across the internet comes with a laundry list of variations (including a hobo dinner video), making this recipe not only versatile but fun to play with!
SAVE THIS HOBO DINNER
TO YOUR DINNER BOARD FOR LATER
LET’S BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES!
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Hobo Dinner:
You’ll just need a few, easy to find ingredients to make this yummy, family friendly dinner! Ground Beef, butter, carrots, potatoes, onion, cream of mushroom soup and salt, pepper, dry mustard, brown sugar, and chili powder.
How Do You Make Hobo Dinner?
Hobo dinner is made by combining ground beef and spices and forming hamburger patties out of the mixture. Chopped onions, carrots and potatoes are placed in a layer in a foil packet. They are then topped with the beef patty and cream of mushroom soup. Seal the packet and bring on the heat! How easy is that? Not only is hobo dinner simple, but there are quite a few ways to cook it up.
- HOBO DINNER IN THE OVEN: My favorite method, and the one I recommend with this recipe. Hobo dinner in the oven is easy! After laying out your foil, vegetables come first. Top with a dollop of butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top the veggie layer with meat and follow it up with soup. Seal your packets and bake!
- HOBO DINNER ON THE GRILL: Ah, grilling season. From traditional hot dogs to the less common grilled pizza, everything tastes wonderful on the grill. Hobo dinner is no exception. Start with your beef patty and lay it flat on the foil. Top with veggies. You can choose to use cream soup here as well, but a dash or two of Worcestershire sauce is so good! Seal and place on the grill, grilling over medium heat for 25-30 minutes. Meat should be cooked through and vegetables (especially potatoes) should be tender. The grill is where you’ll want to test out a steak hobo dinner recipe. So good! There you have it folks, hobo dinner on the grill!
- HOBO DINNER CAMPING: When you think about it, it really makes sense to cook hobo dinner over an open flame. Taking your hobo dinner camping is one of the easiest things you’ll ever do, especially if you have a big family! Putting the meal together is fundamentally the same. For camping, start with meat, add the vegetables and top with soup! Again, Worcestershire sauce is a great substitute here. Seal it all on up and cook over an open flame for about 30 minutes. Making sure the meat is cooked well takes precedence, so don’t rush it. The campfire is a fantastic place to try a chicken hobo dinner recipe…the flavor is amazing!
Step By Step Overview: How To Make Hobo Dinner
1. Mix together the beef, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, and brown sugar.
2. Prepare and cut into cubes: potatoes, carrots, onions.
3. Form beef mixture into 4 patties. Set aside.
4. Spread 4– 12-inch aluminum foils and stack 1/4 of each vegetable in a layer in the center of each sheet of foil. Generously season with salt and pepper. Top with a tablespoon of cubed butter.
5. Top the vegetable layer with a beef patty.
6. Scoop 1-2 tablespoons cream of mushroom soup.
7. Place it on top of the beef patty.
8. Seal foil packets and place on rimmed baking sheet. Bake.
Our hobo dinner is the ultimate comfort food. A perfect summer meal made over the campfire (or in the oven) Wonderful in fall as the nights get cooler.
- 1 Pound Ground Beef 80/20
- Salt, Divided
- Black Pepper, Divided
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Brown Sugar, Packed
- 4 Tablespoons Butter, Cut Into Cubes
- 3 Medium Russet Potatoes, Peeled and Cut Into Cubes
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, Cut Into Cubes
- 2 Large Carrots, Peeled and Cut Into Cubes
- 1 Can Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup-Low Sodium,
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a bowl, mix together the beef, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, garlic powder, chili powder and brown sugar until the spices are evenly incorporated.
Form beef mixture into 4 equal sized patties. Set aside.
Spread out 4- 12-inch sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil.
Stack a 1/4 of each vegetable in a layer in the center of each sheet of foil. Sprinkle the vegetables generously with salt and pepper and dot the top with 1 tablespoon of cubed butter.
Top the vegetable layer with a beef patty then top with 2 tablespoons cream of mushroom soup.
Seal foil packets well and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven until the beef patty reaches an internal temperature of 160Degrees, and the vegetables are tender about 30-40 minutes.
Bake in preheated oven until the beef patty reaches an internal temperature of 160 Degrees, and the vegetables are tender about 30-40 minutes.
©GonnaWantSeconds.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Nutrition information will vary based on the specific products. To be safe, check the nutrition facts labels of your products. Optional object listed above have been left out of nutritional data.
Recipe Notes Hobo Dinner:
Meat: The patties for hobo dinner can be made with ground beef or turkey. You can use premade patties as well! Cook times will vary, and frozen patties will take a bit longer to cook when cooking from the point of being frozen. You can also make your homemade patties in advance, and freeze them to use for future hobo dinners!
Veggies: The size you cut the veggies is related to the method of cooking, as well as whether or not you are using frozen patties. For example, it’s fine to cut your vegetables larger if your baking in the oven and using frozen patties. However, grilling and using a fresh patty will call for smaller, thinner slices of veggies. As your cook times vary, adjust veggies accordingly so they aren’t too hard or too soggy.
Sauce: We talked briefly about Worcestershire sauce as a swap out for Cream of Mushroom soup…but hobo dinner is downright incredible with prepared barbeque sauce. Substitute it for the soup and you’ve got a whole new flavor combo.
Make Ahead: Hobo dinner is super simple to make ahead, especially if you are using frozen patties. Chop your veggies early in the day, or even a day or two in advance! When you’re ready to rock, your hobo ingredients are ready to roll. If using fresh patties, put your foil packets together early in the day or the night before, and pop them in the oven or on the grill when it’s time to start dinner.