Make this spicy and savory Italian Sausage and Peppers into sandwiches, soup, or pasta today! It’s a one-skillet dish for all occasions. Buon Appetito!
Italian Sausage and Peppers is one of those wonderful recipes that suits any season and any occasion. You can keep it simple by making sandwiches using Italian dinner rolls, or dress it up a bit for company.
Italian Sausage and Peppers Pasta is one of many ways to elegantly serve this dish. The savory sausage and delicately sweet red peppers really compliment each other regardless of the paired starch. It never gets old! And the sauce is incredible. Give me fresh basil, diced tomatoes, and Marsala wine any day of the week!
It doesn’t take too long to put this meal together, but I enjoy cranking classic Italian-American tunes while browning, boiling, and sautéing, much to my family’s amusement. If Sinatra and Martin have you in the mood for more Italian imports, you might also enjoy my Italian Chicken, Italian Stuffed Peppers, or Italian Sunday Gravy!
WHAT I LOVE MOST ABOUT THIS RECIPE:
- You can turn it into pasta, soup, or a sandwich!
- The salty sausage and mild veggies go together so nicely.
- There’s only one pan to clean.
- I get to crank up Dean Martin!
SAVE THIS ITALIAN SAUSAGE AND PEPPERS
TO YOUR DINNER BOARD FOR LATER
WE’D LOVE TO BE FRIENDS ON PINTEREST! WE’RE ALWAYS PINNING TASTY RECIPES!
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Italian Sausage Sandwich?
My authentic Italian Sausage and Peppers recipe is seasoned using olive oil, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, chopped fresh basil, chopped garlic cloves, and sliced yellow onion.
The sauce comes together with the help of Marsala wine, a couple spoonfuls of tomato paste, and a can of diced tomatoes. The main ingredients of Italian Sausage Sandwich are a pound of Italian sausage (sweet or spicy will do!) and two sliced red bell peppers. I recommend serving over Italian sandwich rolls.
How To Make Italian Sausage And Peppers:
This scrumptious Italian Sausage and Peppers Sandwich is made in four general stages. First, brown the sausage thoroughly. Then, sauté the veggies. Next, boil the sauce. Put it all together, and serve with your starch of choice! I like to put my Italian Sausage and Peppers on sandwich rolls, but there are many delicious options.
Step By Step: How To Make Italian Sausage and Peppers
1. In a skillet, add 2 tablespoons of oil and brown both sides of sausages. Remove and set aside.
2. Add remaining oil to the skillet. Then add peppers, onion, salt, and black pepper. Cook until golden brown,
3. Add Italian seasoning, basil, and garlic. Cook until garlic is fragrant.
4. Stir in tomato paste,
6. and diced tomatoes. Bring to a simmer, scraping the bottom of the skillet.
7. Slice the sausage in 1-inch pieces and add back to the skillet.
8. Simmer until the sauce has thickened.
How To Cook Italian Sausage:
While you may opt to store leftover Italian Sausage and Peppers in oven style containers, you only need a large skillet for cooking purposes!
Here’s how to cook Italian sausage: place them in the pan with a bit of olive oil, cranking the heat to medium-high. Brown on one side, then flip them over and brown the other side. Remove from the pan and slice them up into one-inch sections while the veggies are cooking. Finally, boil the sliced sausage with the sauce for about 20 minutes. Your sausage should now be bursting with flavor from the browning and simmering processes!
You can also make your Italian Sausage and Peppers crockpot style if you so desire. First, brown and slice the sausages separately, then cook them in the pot with the other ingredients on low for about 6 hours or high for about 3 hours.
Recipe Notes For Italian Sausage And Peppers Recipe:
Marsala: Marsala is a fortified Sicilian wine that has flavors of apricot, vanilla, tamarind, brown sugar, and tobacco. It’s good for both cooking and sipping, so don’t relegate leftovers to the vinegar rack too quickly! According to Wine Folly, Marsala pairs well with tricky foods like asparagus, Brussel sprouts, and chocolate.
Italian Sausage: According to the USDA, Italian sausage products contain at least 85% meat, no more than 35% fat, and other ingredients like salt, pepper, anise, and fennel. They may also include additional spices like paprika, herbs like parsley, and vegetables like peppers, onions, and garlic. You can find several varieties of Italian Sausage at most grocery stores! The Sausage and Peppers Giada De Laurentiis makes, for example, uses turkey sausage.
Premade sauces: Some people like Italian Sausage and Peppers in marinara sauce. I prefer the homemade tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and Marsala sauce for its rich and varied flavors. I’m also a fan of going with the flow, however, so if some of your diners have a strong preference for marinara, then have at it!
More Sausage Yum:
Sausage and Peppers:
Sausage and peppers is a classic savory dish. It pairs well with polenta, pasta, potatoes, or crusty bread!
Italian Sausage Sandwich:
Italian Sausage Sandwich is a quick and easy take on this meal. Simply arrange the ingredients on your favorite type of roll, and lunch is served!
Italian Sausage Pasta:
Italian Sausage Pasta is probably the most popular version of this recipe. Thick pastas like penne, bowtie, rigatoni, or tagliatelle are ideal.
Italian Sausage Soup:
You can also turn this recipe into Italian Sausage Soup! You’ll want to gather some additional ingredients like carrots, beans, potatoes, and spinach. Sausage and peppers and potatoes, oh my!
Italian Sausage and Peppers:
Italian Sausage and Peppers is rich with traditional Italian seasoning and sautéed vegetables!
Italian Sausage and Peppers
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil, Divided
- 1 Pound Italian Sausage, Sweet or Spicy
- 2 Red Bell Peppers, Sliced
- 2 Yellow Onions, Sliced
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Basil, Chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 Cup Marsala wine
- 1 (15 Ounce) Can Diced Tomatoes
- 4 Italian Sandwich Rolls- Optional
- In a large skillet, add 2 Tablespoons of oil and brown sausages, on both sides, over medium-high heat. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add remaining oil to the skillet. Then add peppers, onion, salt, and black pepper and cook over medium heat, until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Sprinkle Italian seasonings, basil, and garlic and cook until garlic is fragrant about 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, Marsala, and diced tomatoes. Bring to a simmer, scraping the bottom of the skillet to lift up any brown bits.
- Slice the sausage in 1-inch pieces and add back to the skillet. Simmer until the sauce has thickened, 20-25 minutes.
- Serve in pasta bowls or on toasted Italian rolls split in half lengthwise.
Fans Also Made:
None foundRate This Recipe
Source: Giada De Laurentiis