Are you ready to have the best Italian sausage and peppers you’ve ever had? This recipe has a secret ingredient that takes this dish to a whole new level! Use this to make sandwiches, or stir into soup, or pasta today! It’s a one-skillet dish for all occasions. Buon Appetito!
Italian sausage and peppers and onions is one of those wonderful recipes that suit any season and any occasion. You can keep it simple by making sandwiches using Italian dinner rolls, or dress it up a bit for company.
Italian sausage and peppers pasta is one of many ways to elegantly serve this dish. The savory sausage and delicately sweet red peppers really complement each other. It never gets old, and the sauce is incredible. Give me fresh basil, diced tomatoes, and Marsala wine any day of the week!
It doesn’t take too long to put this meal together, but I enjoy cranking classic Italian-American tunes while browning, boiling, and sautéing, much to my family’s amusement.
What I Love Most About This Recipe
- You can turn it into pasta, soup, or a sandwich!
- The salty sausage and mild veggies go together so nicely.
- There’s only one pan to clean.
- I get to crank up Dean Martin!
Italian Sausage And Peppers Ingredients
- Olive Oil
- Italian Sausage: Use either mild or spicy. My family prefers mild. According to the USDA, Italian sausage products contain at least 85% meat, no more than 35% fat, and other ingredients like salt, pepper, anise, and fennel. They may also include additional spices like paprika, herbs like parsley, and vegetables like peppers, onions, and garlic.
- Bell Peppers: You can use any color of bell pepper, or a combination of them, you like. I prefer red and orange.
- Onions: This works best with yellow onions.
- Salt + Black Pepper
- Italian Seasoning: I use McCormick’s perfect pinch Italian seasoning.
- Fresh Basil: Fresh basil is a must. It’s fundamental for the flavoring of this dish.
- Garlic: Use fresh garlic, not the stuff from the jar.
- Tomato Paste: This adds a natural sweetness with a bit of acidity.
- Marsala Wine: Marsala is a fortified Sicilian wine that has flavors of apricot, vanilla, tamarind, brown sugar, and tobacco. It’s good for both cooking and sipping, so don’t relegate leftovers to the vinegar rack too quickly! According to Wine Folly, Marsala pairs well with tricky foods like asparagus, Brussel sprouts, and chocolate.
- Diced Tomatoes: Adds body and flavor.
Storing + Freezing + Make-Ahead
- How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge? This Italian sausage and peppers in marinara sauce will last 3-4 days in the fridge.
- Can You Freeze This? I like this best when made fresh. The vegetables lose too much texture after they’re frozen.
- Make-Ahead Tips: I would suggest you prep the vegetables up to a day ahead. Store in airtight bags until you’re ready to put the recipe together.
I recommend serving over Italian sandwich rolls or tossed with pasta dressed in olive oil.
I like to serve this with my Mediterranean salad or a simple green salad tossed with my balsamic vinaigrette. I also like to serve a big bowl of pasta salad with Italian dressing, pesto pasta salad, or tortellini salad!
How To Make Italian Sausage And Peppers
1. In a skillet, add 2 tablespoons of oil and brown both sides of sausages. Remove and set aside.
2. Add the remaining oil to the skillet. Then add peppers, onion, salt, and black pepper. Cook until golden brown,
3. Add Italian seasoning, basil, and garlic. Cook until the garlic is fragrant.
4. Stir in tomato paste,
5. Stir in Marsala,
6. Stir in diced tomatoes. Bring to a simmer, scraping the bottom of the skillet.
7. Slice the sausage in 1-inch pieces and add back to the skillet.
8. Simmer until the sauce has thickened.
9. Scoop and;
10. Serve in pasta bowls or on toasted Italian rolls
**See the full instructions below
More Delicious Italian Favorites
- Olive Garden Chicken Alfredo
- Chicken Francaise
- Baked Ziti with Ricotta
- Chicken Scarpariello
- Chicken Murphy
- Five Cheese Ziti Al Forno
- Chicken Lasagna
Italian Sausage and Peppers
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 pound Italian sausage, sweet or spicy
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup Marsala wine
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 Italian sandwich rolls optional
- In a large skillet, add 2 tablespoons of oil and brown sausages (1 pound), on both sides, over medium-high heat. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add the remaining oil to the skillet. Then add peppers (2), onion, salt (1 teaspoon), and black pepper (1 teaspoon) and cook over medium heat, until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Sprinkle Italian seasonings (1 teaspoon), basil (1/2 cup), and garlic (4 cloves), and cook until garlic is fragrant about 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste (2 tablespoons), Marsala (1 cup), and diced tomatoes (1 can). Bring to a simmer, scraping the bottom of the skillet to lift up any brown bits.
- Slice the sausage into 1-inch pieces and add back to the skillet. Simmer until the sauce has thickened, 20-25 minutes.
- Serve in pasta bowls or on toasted Italian rolls split in half lengthwise.
Fans Also Made:
On your phone? Check the web story here.
Source: Giada De Laurentiis