This is an unbelievable pie. I mean, seriously, Unbelievable!!! Trust me on this one. I’ve been making this pie for at least a decade, probably longer. My whole family loves, loves, loves this one.
The filling doesn’t have any cinnamon or any other typical apple pie spices but don’t worry. The topping is where all the cinnamon is. The first time I made this pie I was tempted to spice up the filling. I have one thing to say about that, just don’t! In my ever so humble opinion, this pie is perfect just the way it is!
Okay, you’ll probably notice that I don’t include a crust recipe. This is for good reason. Making a pie crust makes me literally pull my hair out. When my darling son was about 7 years old and we were at the grocery store, he happen to see the prepared boxed pie crusts in the refrigerator section. His face lit up like a Christmas tree, he pick up the box and yelled, oh yes, yelled, “Hey mama, I found something that’s gonna help you from screaming every time you make a pie!” I kid you not! After I recovered from my mortification, at being a crust failure and publicly being called out for it, I embraced that dog gone boxed pie crust. That is what I gratefully used in this recipe.
More Pie Recipes!
Banana Cream Pie –Homemade rich, velvety custard, fresh sliced bananas, a crunchy cookie crust, topped off with a mountain of fluffy whipped cream!
Decadent Chocolate Rum Pie –Rich Chocolate dessert enhanced with a splash or rum, layered on top of a chocolate crumb crust!
Peaches and Cream Pie – Delicious clustered with fresh layer of peaches topped with streusel crumb!
Sour Cream Apple Pie
- 1 9 Inch Deep Dish Pie Crust-Unbaked
- 1 2/3 Cups Sour Cream
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/3 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 8 Granny Smith Apples Peeled and Sliced
- 1 Cup Walnuts Chopped
- 1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar Firmly Packed
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Cold Unsalted Butter Cubed
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. Prepare the filling. Combine all filling ingredients except apples in a large mixing bowl and stir until they are well mixed. Add apples and toss until filling is evenly distributed. Set aside.
- 3. Prepare topping. Combine walnuts, flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl and mix well. Blend in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- 4. Assemble. Roll pie dough out and fit into a deep dish 9 inch pie plate. Give the filling a quick stir then pour into crust. Top with crumble topping.
- 5. Place prepared pie on a cookie sheet and loosely cover with aluminum foil.
- 6. Bake in preheated oven, loosely covered for about 1 hour. Uncover and continue to cook until about 10-15 minutes until the filling is set, slightly puffed and lightly golden.