This crack potato soup is thick, creamy, and truly loaded with flavor. Tender chunks of potatoes swimming in a tangy ranch and bacon-flavored broth. The soup uses thawed frozen potatoes so there’s no peeling or chopping! It simmers slowly in the slow cooker so when the dinner bell rings, you have an amazing soup ready to serve.
Try more of my yummy bacon and ranch-flavored recipes next.
Crack Potato Soup Ingredients
- Bacon: You can use any kind of bacon you like. I like the uncured bacon that hasn’t been cured with synthetically-sourced nitrates and nitrites.
- Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup: You can use any flavor of “Cream Of” soup you like. My preference is cream of chicken.
- Chicken Broth: Use low-sodium chicken broth so you can control the salt in the soup.
- Hash Brown Potatoes: I like to make this with frozen “Potatoes O’Brien with onion and peppers”. I like the chunky texture of the potatoes and the extra flavor the onions and potatoes bring. You can use shredded potatoes if you prefer.
- Sour Cream: Adds a creamy tanginess.
- Dill: Enhances the ranch flavor.
- Black Pepper: Fresh cracked if possible.
- Cream Cheese: Adds a more creamy body to the soup.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese: Everything is better with cheddar! Use any cheddar you like, mild, medium, sharp, or extra sharp.
- Ranch Dressing Mix: I use the seasoning mix in an envelope. I buy a box of 4 envelopes. It ends up being much cheaper than buying individual envelopes.
- Green Onions
Storing + Freezing + Make-Ahead
- How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge? This soup will last in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Can You Freeze This? Since this starts with frozen potatoes, I don’t like to refreeze it. That said, it can be frozen for 4-6 months.
- Make-Ahead Tips: Making it a day or two ahead and letting it sit in the fridge is a great way to have an easy meal ready and boost all the flavors.
- Food Safety: If you’d like more info on food safety check out this link.
There’s nothing better with a warm bowl of soup than buttery, homemade crescent rolls, quick and easy Bisquick biscuits, a chunk of beer bread, or Southern cornbread to sop up the soup that’s at the bottom of the bowl.
More Crack Recipes Recipes
More Potato Soup Recipes
Crack Potato Soup
This creamy delicious crack potato soup is made with chunky frozen potatoes, ranch seasoning, cheddar cheese, and bacon.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 (30-32 ounce) bag frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 16 ounces bacon, chopped, cooked, and drained
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope ranch dressing mix
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- green onions
- bacon, chopped, cooked, and drained
- Place the hash browns, bacon, chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, Ranch dressing mix, sour cream, dill, and black pepper in a 6-quart slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- 15 minutes before serving, stir in cream cheese, and cheddar cheese. Cover and continue to cook on high until cheeses are melted. Whisk soup to get cream cheese to break down and mix into the soup.
Fans Also Made:
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 559kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 42g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 15g | Trans Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 90mg | Sodium: 1351mg | Potassium: 583mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 637IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 162mg | Iron: 2mg
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? I'D LOVE TO SEE!Tag @GonnaWantSeconds or #gonnawantseconds on Instagram!
© Gonna Want Seconds. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media/website/blog is strictly prohibited.
Leave a Reply