Pasta recipes are always family favorites, and this Instant Pot beef stroganoff recipe is sure to be at the top of their list! Stroganoff originated in Russia and has spread across the globe with countless variations…
The instant pot version of this classic makes it a quick and easy one-pot meal with tender juicy chunks of beef and a flavorful cream sauce.
And ohhh ya. It’s all about the cream sauce. Unlike lighter beef and noodles recipes like beef noodle soup, our noodles are tossed in a heavy cream-based sauce that’s full of comforting deliciousness.
Let’s make some instant pot magic!
- Tender, juicy chunks of meat
- Creamy, beefy sauce
- Makes enough for a family feast
- Instant pot magic= 1 pot meal
How To Make Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Begin by browning the seasoned meat in the oil. Set aside and add the onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Cook until tender and sprinkle
The Instant pot does most of the hard work in this beef stroganoff recipe, but here are a few thoughts on how to make it even better!
Sauce: If for some reason, your sauce doesn’t turn out to your desired thickness, its easy to thicken or thin. The time to determine whether to change thickness is after you’ve incorporated the sour cream completely. Remember, as the stroganoff sits, the sauce will continue to thicken a bit.
- To thicken make a slurry by whisking together 2 tablespoons of cold water and 1 teaspoon of cornstarch; added after sour cream has been incorporated. Set on the instant pot to soup setting and add cornstarch slurry; stir frequently. Allow mixture just to come to a boil. The sauce will thicken when it boils.
- To thin add beef broth or water until you reach your desired thickness.
Mushrooms – Mushrooms bring an earthy flavor and body to this dish. If you can’t find cremini mushrooms, you can use button or portobello mushrooms instead.
Sherry – If you need a sherry substitute, any kind of red wine will work. For nonalcoholic options, consider apple cider vinegar. In a pinch, you can simply use a bit more beef broth, but the sherry brings acid and a layer of flavor that adds punch to the sauce!
I suggest storing this in a well-sealed container to maintain its moisture. It will thicken as it sits, so add a bit of beef broth as you reheat to loosen it up.
Can You Freeze This?
Freezing will change the consistency of the dish, particularly the noodles. If you’re freezing as a meal prep option, don’t add the noodles or sour cream. Defrost the meat and sauce overnight in the fridge and stir in sour cream after you’ve brought it up to temperature. Make the noodles on the stovetop and combine them.
Leftovers freeze fine. Just remember it will be thicker than fresh, and the noodles will be very soft.
Make Ahead Tips
You can make the meat and sauce ahead of time. Hold the sour cream and noodles until you’re ready to serve. Bring the meat mixture up to a simmer, adding a bit of beef broth if it is too thick. Stir in the sour cream and heat it through.
Make the noodles separate and stir the cooked, drained pasta into the meat just before serving. Stir well to coat all the noodles with the sauce!
How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge?
Food handling guidelines suggest this can keep in the fridge for about 3-4 days.
The Instant pot brings endless options for delicious, fast meals!
- Turn this into an instant pot chicken noodle soup if you have leftover chicken on hand.
- Substitute cream of mushroom for sour cream to make instant pot pork chops
- Transform this into a tomato-based sauce pasta to make Instant pot spaghetti and use ground beef instead of beef stew meat to make instant pot spaghetti and meatballs.
- Add lots of veggies and omit the egg noodles to convert this into instant pot beef stew
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons Sherry
- 3 cups beef broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 (8-ounce) package egg noodles
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Season meat with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Toss to evenly coat.
- Turn a 6.5-quart Instant pot onto saute function. Add vegetable oil. When the display reads "hot". Add the beef in batches, in a single layer, and brown. Remove to a plate. Repeat process with additional oil as needed and remaining beef.
- Melt the butter then add the onions, garlic, and mushrooms to the Instant pot and saute, until soft, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle the vegetables with flour and stir to coat.
- Add the sherry and 1/2 a cup of beef broth to the pot, stirring, gently scraping the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to loosen all brown bits on the bottom of the pan (do not skip or the burn light may turn on). Allow to reduce for 2 minutes.
- Add remaining beef broth, soy sauce, Worchestershire sauce, mustard, tarragon, and thyme stirring, until combined. Add browned beef along with any juices that have accumulated on the plate.
- Lock the lid and set the valve to seal. Set function to "manual mode-high pressure" for 15 minutes. The instant pot will start on its own.
- Switch the valve to the "venting" position to quick release for 10 minutes.
- Stir in egg noodles and set function to "manual mode-high pressure" for 3 minutes. Do another quick release. Turn off the Instant Pot, remove lid, let sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as needed. If sauce needs to thicken more, set Instant Pot to soup setting and stir occasionally until sauce thickens to desired thickness.
- Ladle into individual bowls, sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Fans Also Made:
None foundRATE THIS RECIPE
I know this Instant pot beef stroganoff recipe is going to win you over with its easy prep, quick cook, and one-pot method! On top of all that, it tastes fantastic! I know you’re gonna love it! Be sure to share how this recipe works for you!