A couple of weeks ago my hubby came home and told me we were invited to one of his friends’ houses for a barbecue. This was a new friend of his I hadn’t yet met. I of course ask what we were going to bring and he said his friend insisted that all the food was taken care of and there wasn’t anything we could bring. So, I decided there was absolutely NO way I could got to this shindig empty handed. I mean of course I was going to bring a bottle of wine but for heaven sakes, I thought it would be horribly ungracious to walk in to a bbq and meet a new friend for the first time, without something homemade.
Cookies seemed like the perfect solution. I mean who the heck doesn’t like a delicious plate of home baked cookies! Honestly, I find them to be totally irresistible and these cookies are really, really irresistible! They have a cheery and brite quality to them 🙂 and a deliciously substantial lemon flavor that is produced by not only a generous amount of fresh lemon zest but also a bit of lemon extract. The lemon flavor is complimented by a generous amount of white chocolate chips. With a flavor combo like this you know these babies have a whole lot of YUM going on!
Recipe Notes: This recipe produces a fairly thick dough so definitely use a hand held electric mixer. Before I bake the cookies I flattened the dough slightly, still leaving them fairly thick, so they will bake up chewy. Since the dough is made with all butter, and not a combo of butter and shortening, the more you flatten them the crisper they’ll be. That said if you decide to flatten them a lot you’ll need to shorten the baking time…….they’re so delicious thick I’d keep them that way!
So the bbq was a blast! We had a great time. These cookies were a total hit! I was really happy I brought them 🙂 I hope you give these a try! If you love lemon these are the cookies for you!
Makes 24-28 Cookies
Monster Cookies -loaded with peanut butter, oats , and tons of GOODIES!
Cranberry Bliss Cookies -Delicious cookie base, cream cheese frosting, lots of cranberries and the white chocolate drizzle!
Soft Batch Christmas M&M cookies – soft, fluffy, and chewy cookie the kids are sure to love!
Source:Adapted from Guittard
Lemon White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- All-Purpose Flour - 2 1/2 cups
- Baking Soda - 3/4 Teaspoon
- Salt - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Unsalted Butter, at Room Temperature - 1 Cup (2 Sticks)
- Granulated Sugar - 1/2 Cup
- Brown Sugar, Firmly Packed - 1/2 Cup
- Egg, Large - 1
- Lemon Extract - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Vanilla Extract - 1 Teaspoon
- Fresh Lemon Zest - 1 1/2 Tablespoons
- White Chocolate Chips - 1-11 Ounce Bag
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl; set aside.
- Add butter and sugars to a large bowl. Using an electric mixer cream mixture until light and creamy. Add egg, vanilla extract, and lemon extract and mix until smooth. Gradually add flour mixture until combined. Stir in lemon zest and white chocolate chips and mix until both are evenly distributed in batter.
- Roll dough into ping pong sized balls. Place on a silpat lined cookie sheet. Flatten slightly(by about 1/3). Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are just beginning to brown slightly on bottom. Do Not over bake or they'll be dry. Allow cookies to cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheets then transferring cookies to baking rack to cool completely. Store in airtight container.