There are few things in life as light, airy, creamy and DELICIOUS as this air fryer crab rangoon recipe! It’s one of those air fryer recipes that reminds you why you bought an air fryer… less mess, less waste, and of course, less grease — BUT equally as crisp, delicious and flavorful!
In just 6 minutes, you’ll be chowing down on this air fryer crab rangoon’s golden crisp shell and melted creamy interior. Not to mention, it turns this gourmet tasting appetizer into a super easy weeknight treat! Serve them alongside my classic Asian recipes, such as hunan beef, dragon noodles or beef chow mein and you’ll forget takeout even exists!
Is your mouth watering yet?! Let’s do this!
It’s crab rangoon for goodness sake! And…
- It literally takes 15 minutes to toss these together! Then 6 minutes in the air fryer, which is completely hands off .
- Unlike pan-fried food, the air fryer is NOT MESSY! No hot oil to discard, no smelly kitchen to deal with. It’s incredible!
- This is really easy to meal prep and freeze! More on that below…
- It’s one of those super fancy tasting meals that will impress everyone! Seriously, have you ever been to a dinner party that served homemade crab rangoon?! Winning!
How To Make Crab Rangoon
So stinkin’ easy. Here’s all you’ve got to do:
- Remove as much liquid as possible from the crab meat. I do this by placing the crab in a clean kitchen towel and ringing as much liquid out as possible. This step is SUPER important, as it’ll prevent our wontons from becoming soggy! Psst — If you’re using imitation crab, you won’t need to remove the liquid.
- Mix the ingredients. Just be sure your cream cheese is nice and soft to blend well with everything else (I usually just toss mine in the microwave using 20-second intervals). I like to mix everything with an electric mixer to break the crab meat into smaller pieces.
- Prep your work station. For ultimate efficiency, here’s what I do: clean off your counter, and lay all of the wonton wrappers out. Whisk your egg and set it at the top of your station with a brush. Grab your filling and a teaspoon.
- Fill the wontons. Use your teaspoon to add a dollop of cream cheese to the center of each wonton wrapper. I know, it’s tempting to add more, but too much and your wontons won’t close!
- Seal the air fryer crab rangoons. To do this, you’ll brush 2 edges of the wrapper with your whisked egg. Then fold the unbrushed edge over the filling, and pinch to seal. Repeat until you’ve done this for all your wontons.
- Air fry! This is the EASIEST part. Just lay wontons along the bottom of the provided air fryer tray so none of them are overlapping — you should be able to fit 6-8. Pop them in the fryer at 350 F for 6-8 minutes, or until they’ve crisped to your liking! Option to spray them with oil before frying for a slightly more crisp edge (we could hardly tell the difference)
- Serve with your favorite sauce, and ENJOY! Keep in mind, the filling inside your wontons will be extremely hot! So although it’s hard to wait, you’ll want them to cool slightly before serving.
This air fryer crab rangoon is so stinking easy! Just a few simple tips and tricks:
The ingredient list for these air fryer crab rangoons is pretty straight forward, just a few things to point out:
- Crab – remove all liquid before adding this into the mix! (Can’t stress this enough). Again, you can use imitation crab if you prefer.
- Cream cheese – go for full fat, the flavor is SO much richer. Also, this is one ingredient we never buy generic, Philadelphia is FAR tastier!
- Green onions – only use the white part, this is the most flavorful part. Save the green portion as a topping.
- Wonton wrappers – You can always make these as home, but they’re inexpensive and much more consistent when you use storebought!
Store any leftover air fryer crab rangoons in the fridge.
That said, this is one of those recipes that’s MUCH better fresh (storing them in the fridge takes away some of their crispness). And since they only take 6 minutes to fry, I suggest storing unfried rangoons in the fridge, and frying them up when you’re ready!
Can You Freeze Them?
YES! And you should! Since folding them is what takes most of the time, here’s how to do it:
- Fold all the air fryer crab rangoons and lay them in a single, non-touching layer on a large baking sheet.
- Place them in the freezer for 1 hour (this prevents them from sticking together).
- Then place all the frozen air fryer crab rangoons in a large resealable bag. Remove as much air as possible, and store them in the freezer where they won’t get crushed (although frozen, the wonton wrappers are still delicate).
BONUS POINTS: You can air fry them straight from the freezer!!
Tools to Make
An air fryer is all you’ll need for this recipe. And you’ll be dang happy you have it after sinking your pearly whites into these lusciously crisp and creamy air fryer crab rangoons!
There aren’t a ton of variations to this recipe, as the ingredient list is pretty simple. But here are a few things you can try:
- Crank up the heat with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes.
- Swap crab for meat of choice. This totally changes the recipe, but it adds a fun twist. Try diced shrimp, ham or chicken.
- Make these dairy-free by using a dairy-free cream cheese or tofu.
Also, don’t miss my Crab Rangoon Dip with homemade wonton chips for dipping!
Can’t get enough of your air fryer?! Me neither! Check out these air fryer recipes (under construction!! coming soon!) — guaranteed you’re gonna want seconds of ’em!
- Air fryer arancini. This Italian classic just got a DELICIOUS makeover!
- Air fryer egg rolls. The perfect dish to serve alongside these crab ragoons!
- Air fryer chicken. No one will know this isn’t deep fried!
- Air fryer pickles. Dip these in ranch for the win!
- Air fryer coconut shrimp. So delicious!
Air Fryer Crab Rangoon
- 8 oz lump crab
- 16 oz cream cheese room temp
- 3 green onions whites only + very finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash pepper
- 36 wonton wrappers square
- 1 egg
Serving Sauce Options:
- sweet chili sauce
- plum sauce
- Place crab in clean kitchen towels and ring out any access liquid (this will prevent your wontons from getting soggy).
- Soften cream cheese, then combine in a large bowl with the crab, green onions, salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk and egg and set aside.
- Lay a sheet of wonton paper down on a clean surface.
- Place a teaspoon of filling in the center of each wrapper.
- Brush whisked egg over 3 of the corners.
- Fold the unbrushed corner over to form a triangle.
- Repeat until you've used all the filling and wrappers.
- Optional: For a slightly crispier wonton, spray both sides with vegetable oil before tossing in the air fryer.
- Lay wontons in a single non-touching layer in the air fryer -- you should be able to fit 7-8.
- Fry wontons at 350 F for 6-8 minutes. You'll know they're done once they're golden brown to your liking.
- Serve with your favorite sauce, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made:
None foundRATE THIS RECIPE
There you have it! Everything you need to know about air fryer crab rangoon.
You have to let me know what you think in the comments below! Are they better than take out? Will you be making them weekly? Enjoy!