Our boneless beef short ribs are braised low and slow in the oven until they’re fork-tender and they practically melt in your mouth. The liquid that the ribs are braised in becomes a thick, rich, and super flavorful sauce that rivals even the finest restaurants!
These require only 20-ish minutes of hands-on time then the oven does all the rest!
Boneless Beef Short Ribs Ingredients
- Beef Short Ribs: I use boneless beef short ribs.
- Salt and Pepper: In this recipe, I only add salt to the beef. I suggest after the ribs have braised, check the sauce for seasoning. I found that it required another teaspoon, or so, more of salt. Because each beef broth contains varying amounts of salt, it’s hard to give an exact amount.
- Oil: Use a neutral flavored oil that has a high smoke point.
- Onions: I like yellow onion in this recipe.
- Carrots + Celery: These are slowly sautéd with the onion to add a foundation of flavor to this dish.
- Flour: This will ultimately combine with the oil to create a roux for the gravy.
- Tomato Paste: Adds just a little tomato flavor and sweetness to the gravy.
- Red Wine: This is one of the main components of the braising liquid and adds amazing flavor. If you don’t use alcohol in your cooking, you can add all low-sodium beef stock.
- Beef Stock: Use low-sodium beef broth.
- Thyme + Oregano + Rosemary: This recipe deserves fresh herbs. The flavor of the gravy is enhanced tremendously by the herbs.
- Bay Leaves: Adds a subtle herbaceous flavor to the dish.
- Garlic: The recipe calls for one head of garlic. Mine we so small I used two heads.
Storing + Freezing + Make-Ahead
- How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge? Baked boneless short ribs leftovers can be kept in an airtight container and refrigerated for 3-4 days.
- Can You Freeze This? Leftovers can be frozen for 2-3 months. To reheat, thaw and pop it in the microwave or oven.
- Make-Ahead Tips: Cook this entire recipe ahead, store it in the fridge, and reheat it later.
- Food Safety: If you’d like more info on food safety check out this link.
Are Boneless Short Ribs The Same As Short Ribs?
- Boneless short ribs are cut from the chuck of the plate with the rib meat cut from the bone.
- Bone in short ribs are cut from a different section and require a longer cooking time. They tend to have more flavor than the boneless, but I often have a hard time finding them at the local markets.
We like these boneless short ribs served over make-ahead mashed potatoes or herb cheese polenta. They’re great with butter swim biscuits, Bisquick biscuits, or homemade crescent rolls for sopping up all the gravy!
What Is The Preferred Cooking Method For Boneless Short Ribs?
Any method of low and slow cooking. Either braising, sous viding, or smoking will work wonderfully. Braising is my method of preference.
Why Are My Boneless Short Ribs Tough?
If your ribs are tough they likely haven’t been braised long enough.
How to Make Boneless Beef Short Ribs
- Brown the beef ribs in batches and set aside.
- Saute the veggies and sprinkle them with flour.
- Add the liquids, herbs, and seasonings.
- Add the beef back and garlic. Bring to a boil and transfer to oven.
- Cook for two hours. Pour the sauce into a gravy bowl and serve with ribs.
***See the full instructions below.
More Meaty Dinner Recipes
- Crockpot Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Crockpot Lasagna
- Crockpot Italian Beef Sandwiches
- Instant Pot Mississippi Pot Roast
- Crockpot Goulash
Tried This Recipe?
Leave a review, I love hearing your feedback! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Boneless Beef Short Ribs
- 4 pounds boneless beef short ribs cut in half
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2 cups low-sodium beef stock
- 2-4 sprigs thyme
- 2-4 sprigs oregano
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 dried bay leaves
- 1 head of garlic, cut in half crosswise
- Adjust the oven shelf to the bottom 1/3 of the oven. Preheat oven to 350ºC (177ºC).
- Lay boneless beef ribs (4 pounds) out on a paper towel and top with paper towels to absorb any moisture. Season ribs with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper.
- Heat oil (3 tablespoons) in a large Dutch oven. When oil is hot, add the ribs in batches, and brown on both sides. Transfer to a plate.
- Add onion (2 medium), carrots (2 medium ), and celery (2 stalks) to pan and saute until onions are translucent. Sprinkle flour (1/4 cup) over veggies and continue to cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Stir in the tomato paste (1 tablespoon).
- Add the beef broth (2 cups), red wine (2 cups), thyme (2-4 sprigs), oregano (2-4 sprigs), rosemary (2 sprigs), garlic (1 head), and bay leaf (1) then add short ribs with any accumulated juices. Bring to a boil; cover, and transfer to oven.
- Cook until short ribs are fork tender, about 2–2½ hours. Place ribs on a platter and skim excess fat off the top of the braising liquid. Adjust seasoning. Pour the sauce into a gravy boat and serve with ribs.
Fans Also Made: