When temperatures skyrocket, it’s time for my triple berry icebox cake recipe! Layers of fresh berries, homemade whipped cream, and lemon cookies make this an icebox cake unlike any other cake recipes — it doubles as one of your new favorite fruit cake recipes!
Who wants to heat up the house with baking on a hot summer day? This triple berry icebox cake gives you dessert without the heat. Make room on your table next to berry chantilly cake, chocolate lasagna, and strawberry pretzel salad!
Let’s bake! Or…chill, actually!
Any excuse not to use my oven in the summer makes me happy!
- Party-pleasing dessert
- Summer’s best flavors
- Show-stopping looks and taste
- No oven! No heat!
How To Make Triple Berry Icebox Cake Recipe
This triple berry icebox cake pulls together in a snap!
Mix your berries with sugar and lemon juice so they can start to set. Once ready, puree one cup of the berries in a food processor. Set aside, then refrigerate the remaining berries.
Beat cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and lemon until mixture is light and fluffy. Add the cream and beat until stiff peaks form. Split the mixture and combine it with the macerated berries.
Line a baking dish with plastic wrap. Spread some of the plain whipped cream mixture. Layer with cookies, then berry cream mixture. Repeat until you get three layers. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Remove the top cover and invert onto a plate. Spread remaining whipped cream around cake. Decorate with berries and serve.
Want to get the best possible icebox cake ever? Here are my tips!
Berries: This cake would be wonderful with any combination of berries that you like. It also would be great with just a single fruit, like strawberries as well. Go crazy and pick what’s in season!
I used a slotted spoon to remove the berries from the juice they produced. You don’t want to add too much extra liquid to the whipped cream mixture. A little bit of the juice is just fine though.
Lemon: Don’t forget to zest both the lemons before you juice them! I know this sounds obvious, but the recipe calls for the addition of the juice of 1/2 a lemon, then all the zest, then more lemon juice.
Mixer: I use my stand up mixer in this recipe. You can always use a handheld electric mixer if you’d prefer. This recipe calls for 4 minutes of beating then about 2 minutes after that.
Strawberries: Do you have one of these little strawberry hullers? It just may be one of the handiest little gadgets in my kitchen! It’s so much easier to remove any strawberry leaves and hull than using a paring knife. It’s also much safer for younger cooks.
The original recipe didn’t add the macerated berries to the cream. It added them as another layer to the dessert. I personally like it better mixed in with the cream so that’s how I make it and that’s how I’m writing it up in my instructions.
It’s obvious that you use the icebox to make this cake, but how should you store it? Here’s my advice!
Can You Freeze This?
Yes! This cake actually does really well in the freezer, and the temps help it set up even more. You can store it for up to four months.
To thaw, let it sit in the fridge overnight until it’s sliceable and ready to eat!
Make Ahead Tips
This cake needs a good long refrigeration time to set up. You can get by with 6 hours, but I prefer overnight. Don’t forget to factor this into your planning! This cake really won’t be the same if you try to speed the process along.
How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge?
This cake will sit in the fridge just fine for up to a week. After that, the cookies will start to get soggy and your cream will lose its texture. Eat up!
Triple Berry Icebox Cake
- 2 cups strawberries sliced
- 2 cups mixed berries raspberries, blackberries, and or blueberries. Larger berries cut into smaller pieces
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- fresh lemon juice
- fresh lemon zest from 2 lemons
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups chilled heavy whipping cream
- 2 (6-ounce) packages pepperidge farms lemon cookies
- In a medium bowl, add 1 cup sliced strawberries, 1 cup mixed berries, 1 tablespoon sugar and the juice of 1/2 a lemon. Gently mix all ingredients and set aside to macerate 30 minutes.
- In a food processor, puree 1 cup of mixed berries until smooth. Set aside. Refrigerate the remaining 2 cups of the berries to use as the topping for the cake.
- In the bowl of a stand-up mixer, beat on medium speed the cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, all the lemon zest, and the juice of 1 lemon about 4 minutes or until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the heavy cream to the mixture and continue to beat until it forms stiff peaks, about 1-2 minutes. Remove only half the cream mixture to a medium bowl and add the berry puree and the macerated fruit (not including any juices that have accumulated). Fold mixture until it's well combined. The other half of the whipped cream mixture remains plain.
- Line a 9X5 inch baking dish with plastic wrap, allowing it to overhang on all sides. Transfer 1 cup of the plain whipped cream mixture to loaf pan and spread evenly on the bottom. Put the rest of the plain whipped cream mixture in the fridge.
- Place a single layer of the cookies in the loaf pan on top of the whipped cream mixture. Don't worry about any small gaps, you can break up a few cookies and add small pieces to any significant gaps. Spread a half cup of the berry whipped cream mixture over the cookie layer.
- Repeat with another single layer of cookies, the second half of the berry whipped cream mixture, then a third single layer of the cookies. Cover the top with plastic wrap and refrigerate a minimum of 6 hours or preferably, overnight.
- Remove the top layer of plastic wrap and invert it onto a rectangular platter. Peel the rest of the plastic wrap off and spread the remaining plain whipped cream mixture over the top and sides of the cake. Decoratively arrange the remaining berries.
Fans Also Made:
Want to have even more fruity desserts for your summer party guests? Here are my faves!
- Pineapple Sheet Cake
- Strawberry Poke Cake
- Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake
- Blueberry Heaven On Earth Cake
- Peach Heaven On Earth Cake
Next time you need a dessert for a summer party, don’t fire up your oven! This triple berry icebox cake is the official dessert of the hot weather season. Let’s go poolside!
What party did you make this cake for? Let me know in the comments!