Somewhere in the world, a culinary genius dreamed up the brookies recipe, a double layer bar with cookie bars on the bottom and a soft, decadent brownie on top. I thought it sounded brilliant when I first discovered them, but one bite and I realized brilliant was an understatement.
Now, I never have to choose between my favorite fudgy brownie recipes or chocolate cookies. With this recipe, I get the best of both worlds. Whether you prefer brownies or cookies, you going to love them!
Turn on the oven, and let’s bake some brookies!
This recipe has lots of things going for it! Here’s the shortlist!
- Simple ingredients
- Straightforward prep
- Lots of “WOW” factor
- Makes a nice big pan
How To Make Brookies Recipe
To make this recipe, begin by making the cookie layer. Cream together the butter, sugars, and egg. Combine the dry ingredients separately before gradually adding them to the butter mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips and press the dough into the bottom of a 9×13 pan.
Now, make the brownie layer. Mix the melted butter, sugar, and vanilla together. Then add the eggs, followed by the cocoa. Combine the dry ingredients and add them to the butter mixture. Pour over the cookie dough and bake!
Here are a few things to consider to make this brookies recipe a success!
Avoid overmixing- Just like chocolate chip cookies, try not to overmix the cookie dough. As you add the dry ingredients, stop when there are just a few streaks of flour left. Then, stir in the chocolate chips and finish incorporating the flour with a wooden spoon or strong spatula.
Tips For Making The Perfect Brownie Cookie Recipe
This brownie cookie recipe is very straightforward, but here are a few tips to make it even better!
Duration of baking: I like my brownies to be more on the fudgy side of done. To achieve this consistency, I bake them until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. In my oven, the brookies reach that point in about 45 minutes in my oven.
If you like your brownies a little more set, bake until the toothpick comes out clean, 47 minutes in my oven. Just don’t over bake, or both layers will be ruined!
Brookie cupcakes: To turn these bars into cupcakes, bake your brookies in a muffin pan. The recipe remains the same, but baking times will vary according to your oven and pan. In general, you can expect to cut the cook time in half.
Remember to test for the desired level of doneness using a toothpick. This variation is a great option for parties and bakes sales!
Cookie Brownies Ingredient Notes
Melting butter: While I enjoy the convenience of melting my butter in the microwave, it is important not to overdo it, or you could scorch the other ingredients and accidentally pre-cook your eggs! Keep an eye on the melting butter (or let it cool for a minute after melting), and always avoid pouring boiling liquid into your brownie mixture.
For best storage, be sure to let the cookies cool completely. Then, store them in a tightly sealed container to help them to retain their chewy, moist texture.
Can You Freeze This?
Freezing this is a great way to extend the shelf life of these decadent treats. Allow them to cool completely and cut into squares. I suggest using wax paper to separate multiple layers.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Brownies Recipe Make Ahead Tips
These chocolate chip cookie brownies store well for several days at room temperature, so you can make them ahead of time and serve when you’re ready! Of course, freezing is also a great option.
How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge?
According to food handling guidelines, this recipe will hold at room temperature for 3-4 days and in the freezer for up to 6 months. Storing them in the fridge can extend their life to over a week.
I think brookies are pretty darn perfect as they are, but in case you’re in the mood to experiment, here are some suggestions.
Can I Add Lemon Flavor?
I think the lemon flavor would be lost with the double chocolate layers. However, lemon bars are always a good idea! You can also try lemon blueberry bars or lemon cheesecake bars for a lemony handheld treat!
Can I Add Cream Cheese?
I love brownies with sweetened cream cheese swirled through them. That would be fantastic with this recipe, much like cream cheese brownies! Cream cheese is one of my favorite dessert ingredients. It goes with everything from pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting to chocolate chip cheesecake bars!
Would These Make For Good Christmas Treats?
Brookies are always welcome on a Christmas cookie tray! Keep the brownie theme going with Christmas tree brownies or let them sit next to cute Reindeer Rice Krispies treats. Add Yugoslavian Christmas cookies to round out the tray with international flair!
Can I Add Peanut Butter?
Oh my heavens, peanut butter cookie with a brownie on top? Yes, please! It would be like chocolate peanut butter bars or a personal favorite, chocolate peanut butter cookies! Another fun peanut butter chocolate treat is Reindeer Nutter butter treats. Don’t worry! They taste great all year round!
Can I Use Oreos Instead?
Oreos are so yummy in all kinds of desserts. Oreo brownies are over the top delish and would be a fun twist in this recipe! Oreo balls, a kissing cousin to a truffle, are so easy to make! Just for fun, you can’t beat Reindeer Oreos. I bet you can’t eat just one!
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup butter melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9X13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
Make the Cookie Layer:
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and vanilla using an electric mixer on medium speed, until the mixture is well combined and creamy.
- Add the egg and continue to cream the mixture until it becomes light and fluffy, or for about 2 minutes. Set mixture aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda until evenly combined. Gradually mix flour mixture into butter mixture until just combined. Mix in chocolate chips.
- Spread cookie dough evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking dish covering the pan completely. Set aside.
Make the Brownie Layer:
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together granulated sugar, melted butter, and vanilla. Add eggs and mix until completely combined.
- Stir cocoa powder into sugar/butter mixture and mix until well combined. Add flour, baking powder, and salt and mix until incorporated.
- Pour brownie mixture evenly over cookie dough, covering the dough completely.
- Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs (not batter, just a couple of crumbs), about 40-45 minutes. Allow to cool completely. The brownies need this time to finish setting. I prefer to cool them then refrigerate them overnight before serving.
Fans Also Made:
None foundRATE THIS RECIPE
I don’t think there is anything closer to heaven on this earth than chocolate brownies. These treats are simply divine!
- Fudge Brownie Recipe – focus on that one of a kind fudgy consistency
- Cake Mix Brownies – Perfect brownie texture with the ease of a mix
- Smores Brownies – These are so good, I bet you want s’more!
- Katharine Hepburn Brownies– Classic as the lady they are named after
- Cosmic Brownies– Out of this world rich and delicious
I know it’s going to be love at first bite with this brookies recipe. You won’t be able to stop yourself after you taste the decadent chocolate brownie and perfect chocolate chip cookie base. This is one you’ll make again and again! I am so excited to hear what you think of them!
Be sure to leave me a comment below!