Our Planters Punch is the perfect combination of sparkling and sweet, a refreshing summer drink for every gathering! Make it by the glass or pitcher.
When the weather gets warmer and the parties become frequent, there is nothing better to cool down than a tall, icy mason jar of Planters Punch. Every ingredient in my planters punch drink recipe oozes sweetness, yet one heavy splash of sparkling water makes it easy to toss back on a hot day.
This delicious eye pleasing cocktail is similar in beauty to my hippie juice and jungle bird true party favorites. Not only do party-goers love pretty drinks, but let’s face it, there is nothing like a planters punch tiki-themed party.
So grab your torches and your rum, and I’ll help you kick off the summer with friends, family and enough planters punch to go around.
What Is Planters Punch?
Though not quite as indulgent as my orange creamsicle drink, planters punch is a very sweet and popular party cocktail with a lovely blend of tropical flavors. The main alcohol is a dark rum, and as with many cocktails, the recipes can differ.
The meyers rum planters punch concoction suggests a sprig of mint as a garnish. To each his own, but I like to keep it fruity!
- Pineapple Juice
- Orange Juice
- Lime Juice
- Dark Rum
- Sparkling Water
Planters Punch History:
As far as drinks go, planters punch has a somewhat clouded history. While it’s difficult to pinpoint where it first originated, the first printed record of the recipe for planters punch appeared in the New York Times in 1908.
Often referred to as Jamaican planters punch, there is a tale of this yummy cocktail coming to life in the kitchen of a Jamaican planter, whose wife whipped it up to cool down the workers. Difford’s provides the straightforward claim that the founder of Myers Rum, Fred Myers, should take full responsibility for planters punch.
Fortunately, knowing exactly where planters punch came from is not a requirement to enjoy it! If your party guests ask how it came to be, I’d go with the planter’s wife story. It’s more fun.
- Alcohol Variations: Planters punch recipes vary in alcohol content and type. While I prefer to use dark rum and leave it at that, you can add Southern Comfort or even almond liqueur. The Bermuda planters punch recipe calls for not only two different types of rum but a few teaspoons of brandy as well! Rum keeps the drink sweet and simple. Of course, different variations of alcohol will change the taste, but if you’re feeling brave, give it a shot! No pun intended.
- Angostura Bitters: Many recipes, including the planters punch diffords recipe, recommend the addition of bitters. I don’t find it necessary, but this is completely your call. Angostura (this is a brand name), Bitters consist of cardamom, orange zest, cinnamon, cloves, jasmine, and mint. It will cut the sweetness of your planters punch, perfect for any of you with a bitter palate.
- Planters Punch Mocktail: Make a kid-friendly version of planters punch!
- 1 cup of orange juice
- 1 cup of lemonade
- ½ cup grenadine
- ¾ cup ginger ale
- Put out a bowl of maraschino cherries for garnishing, or just eat by the handful. Whichever.
How to Make Planters Punch
Planters punch ingredients are simple, accessible, and easy to throw together. Start with two ounces each of pineapple, orange, and lime juice. Add two ounces of rum, toss it all into a cocktail shaker…and shake! Strain over an ice-filled 12-ounce glass, splash in some sparkling water and grenadine, add your garnish and drink up.
How Do You Make Planters Punch For A Crowd?
The planters punch recipe for a party is as follows:
- 1 cup dark rum
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup orange juice
- Juice from 3-4 limes, fresh
- ⅓ cup sparkling water
- ½ cup grenadine
Combine in a large pitcher, and add ice cubes. A great thing about planters punch is that the recipe is straightforward with easy measurements. It’s a simple recipe to double, triple or cut in half.
More Cocktail Recipes
- 2 ounces pineapple juice
- 2 ounces orange juice
- 2 ounces lime juice
- 2 ounces dark rum
- heavy splash sparkling water
- splash grenadine
- pineapple wedge
- orange slice
- Maraschino cherry
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add pineapple juice (2 ounces), orange juice (2 ounces), lime juice (2 ounces), and rum (2 ounces). Shake vigorously.
- Strain into a 12-ounce glass filled with ice. Stir in a splash of sparkling water and top with a splash of grenadine.
- Garnish if desired with a skewer of pineapple wedge, thin orange slice, and a maraschino cherry.
Fans Also Made:
**SENDING YOU SOME DOG LOVE–FROM MY PACK TO YOURS!**
Bruno kickin’ back down at the beach…..My favorite place to sip on one of these Planter’s Punch Cocktails <3