My whole family loves this soup. It’s a rich tomato based soup enhanced with red wine. It’s loaded with Italian sausage, pasta, mushroom and spinach. It’s served hot then chunks of Provolone and a sprinkle of Parmesan and basil. Doesn’t that sound like a whole lot of YUM!!!
- Sweet Italian Sausage, Casing Removed - 1 Pound
- Large Yellow Onion, Chopped - 1
- Large Carrots, Peeled and Diced - 2
- Crimini Mushrooms, Sliced - 2 Cups
- Garlic Cloves, Chopped - 2 Tablespoons
- Chicken Broth - 64 Ounces
- Red Wine - 1 Cup
- Tomato Sauce - 8 Ounces
- Can Chopped Italian-Style Stewed Tomatoes - 1 (14.5 Ounce)
- Sugar - Pinch
- Dried Pasta, Campanelle, Uncooked - 3 Cups
- Fresh Spinach, Chopped - 2 Cups
- Provolone or Mozzarella Cheese, Cubed - 1 Cup or More
- Parmesan Cheese - 1/2 Cup
- Basil. Thinly Sliced - 1/2 Cup
In a large Dutch oven brown sausage over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrot: saute 3 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and garlic , and saute another 3 minutes.
Add Chicken broth, wine, tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes and pinch of sugar to Dutch oven. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
Add pasta and continue to simmer until pasta is al dente, about 10 minutes. Add spinach and cook just until spinach is wilted.
In individual soup bowl's add desired amount of Provolone or Mozzarella cheese cubes. Add hot soup to bowls. Top with Parmesan and basil. Serve :)