Looking for a delicious new Holiday cookie to try?
Well, I’m super excited to share this new Double Chocolate Snowball Cookies with you!
Rich, tender, double chocolate, cookies that aren’t too sweet and have a luscious thick coating of powdered sugar.
Little bites of joy I tell you!
These cookies are a rift on every ones favorite holiday cookie Snowballs, aka Russian Tea cookies, aka Mexican Wedding cookies.
They’re every bit as delicious and maybe just a little more addictive given their chocolate base.
Well, their double chocolate base that is.
These babies are loaded with a double whammy of chocolate with cocoa powder and then an entire bag of mini chocolate chips!
More chocolate flavor to love!
Oh, and another great thing is that the nuts generally found in Snowball cookies are replaced with mini chocolate chips.
These are the perfect little holiday treat for all the people on your list who aren’t especially fond of nuts.
Double Chocolate Snowballs
This recipe is pretty straight forward and easy. Make the dough, chill it, roll the dough into balls, bake them and roll them into powdered sugar.
Viola! Yummy double chocolate snowballs!!!
If you’re super pressed for time you can skip the chill time. Your cookies might come out a little flatter, if you do so, but they’ll still be delish.
The cookies are especially delicate when they’re warm, so be very gentle when rolling them in the powdered sugar. I must admit I broke a few, which wasn’t necessarily a bad thing, since I got to “taste test” the broken ones.
Don’t skip the second roll in powdered sugar. It really gives the cookies a heavenly coating.
More Christmas Recipes!
Italian Christmas Cookies -Moist, cake-like texture that fills any room with an unbeatable aroma!
Soft Batch Christmas M&M cookies – Soft, chewy, fluffy cookies sure to be a favorite in any holiday event!
Yugoslavian Christmas Cookies – Crunchy nut and meringue topping over the berry shortbread crust an absolutely divine combination!
Candy Cane Cookies -Peppermint or almond flavored sugar cookie dough, twisted into these charming cookies
Christmas Crack – Buttery toffee with a light, crispy crust, coated in rich chocolate and toasted pecans may just be the most addictive snack ever
Source: Adapted Slightly From Allrecipes
- Yield: 3 Dozen
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 1/2 Hours minutes
Double Chocolate Snowball
- All-Purpose Flour - 2 Cups
- Salt - 1/8 Teaspoon
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder - 1/2 Cup
- Unsalted Butter, At Room Temperature - 1 1/4 Cup
- Granulated Sugar - 3/4 Cup
- Vanilla Extract - 1 Teaspoon
- Rum Extract - 1/4 Teaspoon
- Mini Chocolate Chips - 12 Ounces
- Powdered Sugar - 1 Cup
1. Whisk together flour, salt and cocoa; set aside.
2. Cream together butter and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add the vanilla and rum extract and mix. Gradually mix in flour mixture. Mix in mini chocolate chips until evenly incorporated. Cover and chill dough for at least 2 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll dough into 1 inch balls. Place dough on a silicone baking mat about 2 inches apart.
4. Bake in preheat oven for 20 minutes. When cookies are still very warm, but cool enough to handle, roll in powdered sugar. Cool cookies completely then roll cookies a second time in powdered sugar.